Silent Hill 2 on PS3

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

keletron
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill 2 on PS3

Post by keletron »

Has anyone here attempted to play Silent Hill 2 on an 80GB PS3? Does it work well? Thanks!
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I wish I had a PS3 to play it on. :?
Droo

Post by Droo »

That's nice. Don't spam.

There are some backwards compatibility issues on North American 80GB PS3's. Are you in North America?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

does the 60 gig work for it? i'm thinking of rebuying 2 and 4 for PS2 but don't know if they'll work on my PS3
Droo

Post by Droo »

There are no issues with any of the PS2 Silent Hills on the 60GB.

For the 80GB, SH2's only problem is that James' character model flashes grey during the sequence when he exits the bathroom and has his opening monologue.

I should also note that Silent Hill 1 does not work on either North American PS3 model.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
batmanhill6157
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by batmanhill6157 »

Actually my Silent Hill 1 game works fine on my 60 gig^
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1130/lbpbatsigxl6.png[/img][/url]
PSN ID: batmanhill6157
keletron
Just Passing Through

Post by keletron »

Thanks a lot, guys! For the record, I am in North America.
Empyrean
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Empyrean »

I own a 80gig north american PS3 and have just played SH 1-3 and Origins on it. here is what I encounterd.

SH1: using fire arms through out the town (walking the streets, inside the gas station, corner store, ect.) creates a high or low pitch tone that annoyes the crap out of you. this noise can be I found can go away when entering a door, once I knocked the sound out competely until I went trough a door. ths nois also occures at the boss fights I think all af them but for sure the last boss.

The sound does not happen when you are in the school (except in the court yard) the hospital or nowhere (except the last boss) so when if these areas feel free to blast the crap out of everthing with out that god awfl noise. Other then the sound issue I have not come accross any other issues and I have done 2 play throughs.

SH2: I have not noticed the gray flash but through out the game parts of james dissapear as well as some close corridor walls when you are getting chased by PH towards the elevator and the when you pull the noose down it dissapears. I have done 2 play throughs and other then the half a second that james's limbs dissapear and the other mentioned issues I have not encounterd any other issues.

SH3: the only issues I have incountered is when at certin points that you meet the detective his beard is white, not like he is old but white as in the texture map dissapeared leaving the hairs looking like they are glowing white. this seems to be constant from when he drives you to SH all the way to the end of the game as well I think near the end of the game Claudia's eyebrows do the same thing. I have played through the game 4 times and have not come across any other issues.

SH Origins: I have played through the game at the least 4 times and have not encountered any problems.

Remember this is just for the 80gig PS3 not the 60gig. I also do not own SH4 so I can not play it on my PS3. hope this has been some what informative.
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

It works for me, just there are a ton of glitches.
But I think that's my game and not my PS3.
(at least I hope it's the game.) :lol:
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

My PS3 doesn't play PS2 games at all. You just need to check on the back of the box and see if it'll play PS2 games at all.
Other than that I haven't really heard of any other problems with PS3 backwards capability.
Empyrean
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Empyrean »

^do you have a 40gig?
keletron
Just Passing Through

Post by keletron »

Empyrean, you've been really helpful. Such detailed info on the PS3 SH glitches proved pretty hard to come by until I posted here. Thanks again!
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Yes mine is an 80g.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Do the 80gb PS3's play PS2 games? I wasn't aware that they did. I have a 40gb model and that doesn't play PS2 games....it's fine wiht PS1 games apart from that annoying sound issue with SH1
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I just said that they work fine on mine.
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

Empyrean wrote:I own a 80gig north american PS3 and have just played SH 1-3 and Origins on it. here is what I encounterd.

SH1: using fire arms through out the town (walking the streets, inside the gas station, corner store, ect.) creates a high or low pitch tone that annoyes the crap out of you. this noise can be I found can go away when entering a door, once I knocked the sound out competely until I went trough a door. ths nois also occures at the boss fights I think all af them but for sure the last boss.

The sound does not happen when you are in the school (except in the court yard) the hospital or nowhere (except the last boss) so when if these areas feel free to blast the crap out of everthing with out that god awfl noise. Other then the sound issue I have not come accross any other issues and I have done 2 play throughs.

SH2: I have not noticed the gray flash but through out the game parts of james dissapear as well as some close corridor walls when you are getting chased by PH towards the elevator and the when you pull the noose down it dissapears. I have done 2 play throughs and other then the half a second that james's limbs dissapear and the other mentioned issues I have not encounterd any other issues.

SH3: the only issues I have incountered is when at certin points that you meet the detective his beard is white, not like he is old but white as in the texture map dissapeared leaving the hairs looking like they are glowing white. this seems to be constant from when he drives you to SH all the way to the end of the game as well I think near the end of the game Claudia's eyebrows do the same thing. I have played through the game 4 times and have not come across any other issues.

SH Origins: I have played through the game at the least 4 times and have not encountered any problems.

Remember this is just for the 80gig PS3 not the 60gig. I also do not own SH4 so I can not play it on my PS3. hope this has been some what informative.
That sounds about right. But one thing I should add is in SH2, the glitch where James' arms and legs flash happens everytime you pick up an item. This is nowhere as bad as the sound glitch in SH1 though.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Man. You guys PS3 systems are messed up.
Misplaced_Soul
Just Passing Through

Post by Misplaced_Soul »

ive been playing SH2 on my ps3 (80 gig) for the last couple days and i have had no problems with it. actually the only one i've had problems with is SH4 when you are in the apartment room the wall textures flash an ungodly amount that's all i've noticed really...
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Yordi/MisplacedSoulSig.gif[/img][/url]

Where am I going?
How did i get here?
What is this place?
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

It would be much easier just to get a Playstation 2... The system it was intended for :)
Misplaced_Soul
Just Passing Through

Post by Misplaced_Soul »

o yea the sound shit in SH1 i played it on the 60 gig and it did that i havent tried it on the 80 yet... also, in SH1 the picture seems to look like crap, worse than on the ps1 the screen looks grainy and the textures are extremely pixilated, prolly because its emulated, not actually played...

dear fredrick, i know what you mean about the ps2 thing...

my hardware set up is as follows...

24" Samsung SyncMaster 245sw widescreen PC monitor full 1080p, the VGA is run to my PC tower the DVI is converted to HDMI and run to my ps3 (80gig) with the audio for both run to a Logitech THX Z-5300 PC surround sound system... everything runs like i had dreamed

but with one problem... i can't hook any of my old consoles up to it which sucks alot.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Yordi/MisplacedSoulSig.gif[/img][/url]

Where am I going?
How did i get here?
What is this place?