Reasons why Mary did not stay at Brookhaven **SPOILERS**

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Re: Reasons why Mary did not stay at Brookhaven **SPOILERS**

Post by alone in the town »

The part about Laura interpreting Mary's mention of "I'm far away now. In a quiet, beautiful place." as Silent Hill is not invention, it's a pretty open implication.

Also, it really doesn't require changing anything about the story. You can fit this theory, and then remove it, without contradicting anything stated anywhere. Whether or not you agree with the interpretations of certain things is, of course, up to the reader, but save for a single negative statement, given with no elaboration or alternative explanation, I like it better than the idea that Laura just went there and stayed, happy and playing, long enough for James to explore the entire building and find her, just because it was the first hospital she happened to come across.

I like this theory because it is not obtrusive and there's no satisfying alternative. Its truth or untruth is not vital to the story in any sense, it's just that its truth enhances it a little bit. Which is why I've never understood the loud and angry reaction to it from those who don't buy in. If you don't agree with it, don't agree with it. What difference does it make?
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

Wrong.

Even if we accept Mary going to Brookhaven, this doesn't necessarily change what she meant to say to Laura because she is going to Brookhaven basically to die. She's not going to see Laura ever again. She's effectively dead already to her.
No, it's the truth regardless of whoever doesn't want to hear it. When the theory revolves around twisting the meaning of blatant memos and occurrences that are intended to have a more obvious purpose, it doesn't work.
Then why Brookhaven, specifically?
Because Laura doesn't know really know where to look. That much should be evident by all the places we find her in and the fact that she asks James at the hotel if he knows where she is. She's a child. The problem here is you're trying to apply real world logic of a full grown adult to Laura and the game makes it clear enough that she interpreted Mary's letter the wrong way.
She hitchhiked with Eddie, as heavily implied in both the game and the eyecatch at the start menu.
There's nothing in the game or the catch screen that heavily implies she hitchhiked with Eddie. Whether or not you believe it is your own problem. And before you try to pull a "well, you can say the same about Mary staying at Brookhaven!" due note there is more evidence in the game supporting the fact Mary never stayed there than there is for Laura hitchhiking with Eddie.
I don't have much confidence in your ability to deconstruct the Brookhaven theory if that eluded you.
Here we go with your pointless strawman attempts. Get a new posting gimmick.
The wall she's sitting on was her taking a break while reading a letter (and seriously it's right outside Rosewater Park, one of Mary's special places), the bowling alley could be an arranged rendevous point with the guy who took her into town, the hospital we're discussing, and then the very much with-purpose hotel, which she goes to after the hospital with no known deviations.

As for the hotel, it's entirely possible she went through it to get to the park, just like James did. We don't know what her routes of access look like. It's also possible she and Eddie walked there together and parted ways afterwards.

Your next two paragraphs I have no problem with, but I still question Laura's reasoning for going to the hospital if she didn't think there was a good reason for it.
Again, she's a eight year old kid. You keep trying to apply adult logic to a child who isn't going to be thinking the same way an adult does because as a child's brain and intellect is still growing at that age combined with their lack of experience in the real world compared to an adult, they're going to be more prone to confusion and getting the wrong ideas. That much should go without saying. That's the other problem with this theory. It would make much less sense for Mary to give an eight year old girl some contrived "hidden hint" in her letter to Laura about being in Silent Hill. It's the definition of reaching.
the part about Laura interpreting Mary's mention of "I'm far away now. In a quiet, beautiful place." as Silent Hill is not invention, it's a pretty open implication.
Just because something in the game doesn't outright sit something on the table and spell it out for it doesn't necessarily mean it's supposed to be that open ended. The game never outright says Angela's father sexually abused her although it does heavily imply it most notably with what she says to James in the Labyrinth. You could conjure all sorts of silly theories about her possibly meaning to refer to something else. But it's fairly obvious what the real implication is supposed to be. This type of thinking in regards to the Brookhaven theory is no different in concept than TP's attempts to misconstrue the boiler memo in Origins. Which amazes even more that the some of the same people who dismiss TP's claims in regard to that nonsense simultaneously give this Brookhaven theory the time of day.
alone in the town

Just because something in the game doesn't outright sit something on the table and spell it out for it doesn't necessarily mean it's supposed to be that open ended. The game never outright says Angela's father sexually abused her although it does heavily imply it most notably with what she says to James in the Labyrinth. You could conjure all sorts of silly theories about her possibly meaning to refer to something else. But it's fairly obvious what the real implication is supposed to be. This type of thinking in regards to the Brookhaven theory is no different in concept than TP's attempts to misconstrue the boiler memo in Origins. Which amazes even more that the some of the same people who dismiss TP's claims in regard to that nonsense simultaneously give this Brookhaven theory the time of day.
Well, Twin Perfect doesn't know what a theory is. They confuse the term with 'fact'. Nobody here is insisting this is THE truth. It's only an interpretation one is free to take or leave.

Regarding the implication I mentioned, that is not particularly relevant to this theory. That Laura came to Silent Hill because she interprets the letter to mean that Mary is in Silent Hill, is important to explain why she came to town at all, not why she may have specifically chosen to explore the hospital. After all, she does end up at the Hotel, the most special of Mary's special places.

The theory is not fact. It satisfies me, and I accept it, but with some agnosticism, because there's no proof. So, it's incorrect, and a bit insulting, to compare that to the shit Twin Perfect does. I don't think you're a retard for disagreeing.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Anyway, you guys can believe what you want, but it's certainly not hard to see why this theory isn't really accepted by the majority of the fandom.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

For the record, I didn't do anything involving strawmen. A Strawman is when you misrepresent someone else's points or arguments for the sake of easily taking it apart. All I did was point out that I'm not confident in your absolute judgment of how stably something is supported by the game if you don't even have any indication that Laura had help getting into town.

If anything, you're the one who tends to engage in strawmans, the way you reword people's arguments to make them sound as stupid or invalid as possible, just just below this quote when you literally compare Brookhaven theorists to TwinPerfect. Which is simultaneously a Strawman and an Ad Hominem.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

AuraTwilight wrote:
For the record, I didn't do anything involving strawmen. A Strawman is when you misrepresent someone else's points or arguments for the sake of easily taking it apart.
Not always. It can also involve drifting the argument towards something else that's ultimately not relevant to the total debate and trying to act as if criticizing that one point somehow invalidates everything else within the rest of one's posts. It fits the same principle as attacking a strawman and obviously there is more than one way attack a strawman.

Either by distorting posts like you said, taking one thing out of the whole and acting as if it invalidates said whole, or just flat out making stuff up.

Sorry, but I don't need your help with concepts like this as I've dealt with numerous people who've fallen back on the same mundane defense mechanisms.

If I were you I'd find some better posting gimmicks outside of projecting (cue response from you giving some contrived reason claiming you never were in that last post of yours) and bravado.

Met plenty of pillar sculptors like you before and you're not doing anything to separate yourself from the pack.
alone in the town

Guys, let's cut this out, please. We could perhaps use a thread to discuss the rules and philosophy of debate, but this isn't it. We all know where we stand, and we're all entrenched in our opinions for our own reasons. Let's accept it and move on.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

First, I know this topic died off almost 2 years ago, but PLEASE don't be mad at me for posting in it, because I was not here at the time that Ito's tweet was brought to the table. As one of the biggest supporters of Monobrow's theory that Mary did not stay at Brookhaven, I feel it is only fair that I should get to say something here. Again, please don't get mad at me. As I mentioned, I was gone when this new info came to light, and I have just learned about this now, as in yesterday. I was absolutely shocked, and I would like to walk you through my thoughts and emotions, if I may.

First, I just stared at that tweet for a few seconds. Then I laughed like the craziest person on the whole planet for quite awhile. Then shock set it, and I was like "Wait, I was right? Has that ever happened with anything Silent Hill related? Ever?" It was at this point that I realized that I haven't received my fun birthday messages from Thomas in a few years that say "Happy birthday, Erin. PS-Mary stayed at Brookhaven" that I always responded to with "Thank you! PS- No she didn't", and then for his birthday I flipped the script by saying "Happy birthday, Thomas! PS- Mary didn't stay at Brookhaven!" to which he would reply "Thank you. PS- Yes, she did." Is this why? I liked those messages, so then I thought "Damn Silent Hill people, confirming my thoughts, but depriving me of my birthday fun, grumble grumble. I don't want to be right anymore." Is that not the most bi-polar thing I have ever said? :)

The only solution is for Thomas to come up with another theory that I can disagree with, we can get in a huge fight over, chill out the fight in PMs and then use said theory as a fun jab at each other in birthday messages for the next 10 years! I don't see how that is possible since I am pretty sure that this was the only theory he had that I disagreed with. Oh, well.

In the end, I feel happy that the views I held on to about this were not actually that crazy or wrong, but it doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things. If Thomas, Drew, Krist, Ryan(? were you Alone in the Town last time I was here, or am I confusing you with someone else?), and whoever else wants to play this game and wish to see that Mary stayed at Brookhaven to enhance their gameplay, why shouldn't they? And for those of us who didn't believe the Mary at Brookhaven theory still play the game seeing things as we always did, good for us. The arguing over it all can end for good. Yes, I know it technically died 2 years ago. I mean that neither side has to try to convince the other to see things their way anymore, and we can all be zen about it.

I also would like to point out that for the past 3 days, I reread every single page of both Thomas's theory of why Mary DID stay at Brookhaven and this one. Every. Single. Page. I even sometimes found myself disagreeing with myself on some points lol.

However, I learned one very important thing on this thread that I had long since forgotten about, and that is, according to Aura, my face is not canon. :D

Thanks for the memories rereading both of these topics brought up for me. It made me realize even more how much I missed all of you during the time I was away from this forum, and how much fun it was to debate things here. I am so happy to be back, ya'll. :D
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

However, I learned one very important thing on this thread that I had long since forgotten about, and that is, according to Aura, my face is not canon.
I should mod your face into a Book of Memories skin. That'll teach you.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Wouldn't that make it canon? Is my face canon now?
alone in the town

PeachySakura24 wrote:Ryan(? were you Alone in the Town last time I was here, or am I confusing you with someone else?)
It's me. I changed my name back in 2011, I think.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I thought so, but I wanted to be sure. You went from being Alone in the Town to your own religion. I like it. :D
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Fun thread, 10/10. For Monobrown debating skill and Peachy posts.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Always happy to make a thread fun. :)
I still want to know if my face is canon now, Aura. ;)
So, what should we talk about now?