Shepherd-Sunderland: What's In A Name?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Actually, only 2/3 of those examples were abnormal psychology. The third was an outside effect, albeit, I wouldn't call members of a cult psychologically stable.
More like all of them. While James and co. get some leeway due to emotional burden, they wouldn't be in the Otherworld if they weren't psychologically abnormal (Which doesn't always equate to "LOL INSAAANE!")
Although, why wouldn't abnormal psych be related to unlikely physical events? These are examples of what's in-game, but they're really no stranger than stuff that happens in real life.
You've found corridors where you can take five lefts in a row without going right atleast once?
Abnormal psychology can create all sorts of unlikely, strange, or disturbing instances... whether it's the psychology of an individual who has been abused, a serial killer, or something like PTSD... and Silent Hill feeds off of all sorts of insanitites and psychological disorders. So, yeah. I'd say it's justified.
Silent Hill doesn't really work like that.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SuriKatta
Just Passing Through

Post by SuriKatta »

More like all of them. While James and co. get some leeway due to emotional burden, they wouldn't be in the Otherworld if they weren't psychologically abnormal (Which doesn't always equate to "LOL INSAAANE!")
When did I mention anything about viewing the Otherworld? And when did I say 'psychologically abnormal' meant 'insane'?

That's called 'putting words in my mouth'. ;)

(Unless your reading comprehension isn't so great. I was saying that James and co. DO have an abnormal psychology. If that's what you're arguing.)
You've found corridors where you can take five lefts in a row without going right atleast once?
But this discussion is about abnormalities in the psychology of people that can be realistic. Not abnormalities in the environment, except perhaps what is experienced inside the games. It's not neccesarily about what people experience while having psychological distraught, but why and how they get there, and the fact that when they do get there, the psychological damage can affect them in ways that would seem 'not-the-norm', but still not far-fetched enough that there is the possibility of similar things occuring in real life. If you read the posts previous, you'd know that.
Silent Hill doesn't really work like that.
*laughs* Of course it does. I suddenly feel that you're arguing just for the sake of arguing, yes?

Silent Hill is a place where the projection, reflection, and manifestation of the psychological state of the individual/individuals therein. The fears, anxieties, desires, mental haunts and personal symbology are thrown out there for the individual to see, at moments overlapping with the psychologies of other individuals roaming the town (as in SH2, for example). It is also qualifies as a place of 'otherworldly-ness' of the psychological state of other individuals that is a controlled/not-controlled world (like in the case of Alessa, or Walter), that other individuals can enter, but it is still a world that takes from the psychological state of individuals to prosper and manifest.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Alinnia/lisasig.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

When did I mention anything about viewing the Otherworld? And when did I say 'psychologically abnormal' meant 'insane'?

That's called 'putting words in my mouth'.
I didn't say you did, but they're in Otherworld because they're, to cut to the point, mentally unbalanced. And you seemed to connect the two terms in the way you wrote. If I misinterpreted, I apologize, I'm a shitty English speaker.
(Unless your reading comprehension isn't so great. I was saying that James and co. DO have an abnormal psychology. If that's what you're arguing.)
I got it backwards, sorry.
But this discussion is about abnormalities in the psychology of people that can be realistic. Not abnormalities in the environment, except perhaps what is experienced inside the games. It's not neccesarily about what people experience while having psychological distraught, but why and how they get there, and the fact that when they do get there, the psychological damage can affect them in ways that would seem 'not-the-norm', but still not far-fetched enough that there is the possibility of similar things occuring in real life. If you read the posts previous, you'd know that.
Again, I was under the impression that you were arguing for psychological irregularities being a proof for physical events.
*laughs* Of course it does. I suddenly feel that you're arguing just for the sake of arguing, yes?

Silent Hill is a place where the projection, reflection, and manifestation of the psychological state of the individual/individuals therein. The fears, anxieties, desires, mental haunts and personal symbology are thrown out there for the individual to see, at moments overlapping with the psychologies of other individuals roaming the town (as in SH2, for example). It is also qualifies as a place of 'otherworldly-ness' of the psychological state of other individuals that is a controlled/not-controlled world (like in the case of Alessa, or Walter), that other individuals can enter, but it is still a world that takes from the psychological state of individuals to prosper and manifest.
That was just a nitpick on my part. The Otherworld manifests all psychological aspects, just not insane ones. And I really don't like the term "feed" since it's not like it's making Silent Hill stronger or anything. :P Don't read too much into it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

I really like the first part of your theory. "The Shepherd who leads to Paradise". It's actually pretty reminiscent of what Claudia says to Heather about being the one to lead them to Paradise.

The second part I don't think is accurate though. For one, there's just no proof that either had been unfaithful. I always figured the sexual theme throughout was repression. I always assumed Mary had cancer and there are many types that would make intercourse painful. Plus, if she doesn't feel well then she's not going to feel like gettin' down and dirty with James. Besides all that she says that the medication made her look ugly and in the corridor of the hotel when you're overhearing the past she berates him for bringing her flowers when she looks like a "monster".
I'm not trying to cut down your theory. Like I said the first part is really good and actually makes a lot of sense, too. I'm sure that up until she got sick and her personality changed she was his protectress in his eyes.
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine
thenarcissuseffect
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by thenarcissuseffect »

-
Last edited by thenarcissuseffect on 10 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Everyone knows that Sunderland comes from "Sun above the land" :P
It could also mean "sinner" in a german word if I'm not wrong. . .