For advocates of Water (unmarked spoilers):

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Re: For advocates of Water (unmarked spoilers):

Post by NanayaShiki »

He also doesn't even understand what "canon" means.
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Post by SilentWren »

As a Silent Hill fan who considers Guy polite company, I feel the need to speak on his behalf right here.
If you rolled your eyes after reading that first statement, don't bother reading the rest of my post because you've already made up your mind about the subject matter. Nice TP tactics there!

Guy is asked questions by fans about his personal opinion of James and Silent Hill 2, much like Tomm and other people who have been involved with the series (past and present.) It's cool to see what some of these people *personally* think, because many of them are limited in their ability to participate in forum discussions due to professional obligations, time constraints, etc. Anyhow, the subject of SH2's endings is a PARTICULARLY prevalent subject that Guy is questioned about. Until recently, Guy has firmly believed that 'In Water' has absolutely no bearing on James whatsoever. Through conversations with fans, and the contemplation that causes, he has obviously changed his mind about this ending. Good for him! He had to use very long routed logic, but this rationale is what it took for him to *personally* accept it as a valid ending. And no matter how outlandish it may seem, it's still a hell of a lot more coherent than some of the shit I've seen on the web.

I think 'In Water' is something that was plaguing Guy for a while (an aspect that he couldn't quite understand about the James character) and he finally came to terms with it. And I also just want to note that his assessment isn't affiliated with Konami, nor is it official>>he posted it on his personal facebook page for the rest of his fans. And if you're somebody who's been following his mental journey about 2's endings (which I have been) this coming to terms/final word/whatever really was an inevitability. I've been expecting something like this from him about In Water (and Pyramid Head, actually) for a while now.

He is somebody who felt strongly about something specific>>heard other's ideas>>considered them>>and then finally came to his own conclusions. This is a formula that needs to happen more often in this fandom. Giving this situation special consideration just because Guy happens to be involved is lame as fuck. As everyone has already mentioned numerous times, Guy is not affiliated with the series in any professional way, so he is a fan like us. Everyone is allowed their own theories and quirky outlooks. We're all in this together.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

@SilentWren, I'm all for hearing the opinions of those who were involved with SH as well as hearing why they believe this or that, but Guy isn't saying "this is my opinion because...". Instead, he's saying "In Water is canon".
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I would argue that the entire first paragraph of the entry is setting up the "this is my opinion" mood. Also, in every single interview related to Silent Hill, he has always made it a point to *stress* that he is not the final word on anything regarding James, or Silent Hill 2.

And I'm furthermore going to point out that nobody has mentioned anything about the theory itself. There is a string of ad hominems and straw men, just like there always is when Guy is brought into a conversation here.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

SilentWren wrote:I would argue that the entire first paragraph of the entry is setting up the "this is my opinion" mood. Also, in every single interview related to Silent Hill, he has always made it a point to *stress* that he is not the final word on anything regarding James, or Silent Hill 2.
If it weren't for the very last line I would agree that the first paragraph makes it obvious it's a theory and opinion, but said last line says, and I quote "I am now ready to admit that the In Water ending is, yes...canon." (minor spelling error corrected)
SilentWren wrote:And I'm furthermore going to point out that nobody has mentioned anything about the theory itself. There is a string of ad hominems and straw men, just like there always is when Guy is brought into a conversation here.
It's an interesting theory, and I can see some similarities. Other than that, I'm a little too creeped out about such a concept to offer much more than that.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I feel like no one here has gone off on why In Water isn't "cannon" [sic] because a lot of us have done that for a decade already. Also because AuraTwilight succinctly tossed it away in the correct manner.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I wasn't expecting anyone to actually analyze the theory in any meaningful way. I was bringing to your attention that you're all Fungo-ing the crap out of this.

This has the potential to pinwheel around pathetically, so I guess we should all just agree to disagree.

NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

You know, I wasn't going to say anything about it the first you did it, but a second time...

It seems to me you are the one writing off what we are saying without taking it into consideration, not the other way around. Saying to us "you guys are acting just like TP/Fungo" doesn't really make sense here.

We've given reasons as to why we don't like it.
AuraTwilight pointed out that James' actions don't fit Shin-jyu, nor are there are hints towards this being the intention.
I've pointed out that he doesn't seem to understand what "canon" means.
Soulless-Shadow pointed why we're reacting more negatively than if he had just said he had some wild theories going on in his head.

We aren't writing it off with no basis just because we decided to already make up our minds on it. Besides, it's not like were being unfair to Guy about this. We are just saying he doesn't seem to know what he is talking about here. We would do the same with any theory that doesn't make sense or seems baseless, regardless of who made it.

Besides, as also said here, we've already argued the endings and them being canon to death here. I stand by what I have said in the past on that subject, that there is no one canon ending. Each ending is equally possible depending on how you played the game. They are all equally potentially canon. So, because we've argued the canon of these endings to death before, we may be less inclined to do so again just because Guy had a theory about them.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'd also like to point out that James is some American store clerk or something from 1994. Why in the hell would he know or care about Shin-jyu?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ Exactly what I was thinking.

A) I doubt he even knows of that shin-jyu thing.
B) Even if he did know... I don't think he would really care about it (fine examples: the religious and dark magic books laying around the prison, the magazine in the apartments, the toilet full of shit... He doesn't give a damn about anything "apart" from Mary).

Adversary, you should add a new robot to team up with Dahlia.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

James is a Suicide-Bot.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Not to mention, what family shame was James trying to account for? Mary's Illness? Please. This would have played a far larger role in the game if there was some deep seeded family shame to try and absolve.

Of course in Water is canon. All the endings are.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I'm just going to go ahead and mention this because I'm pretty sure very few people here follow Guy, but he's said like a dozen times that this was his own personal way of accepting In Water as a possible canon ending. He's not saying that everyone needs to accept it as canon because he came up with this idea. He himself is always going to consider Leave as close to canon as he's comfortable.

AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

We're aware, we saw his statements. The thing is he made factually inaccurate statements with an air of authority.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

No, he didn't. But I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree because I'm not wasting time on this anymore.

AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Except yes, he did. Because "honor suicide" doesn't work like that and James' situation doesn't fit it even if it did. And Guy Cihi did speak with authority, calling the ending canon, telling us that we "know" that the ending is "far more satisfying and complete", that "Team Silent poured their heart and soul into this PARTICULAR ending..."

This is all very loaded, opinionated, and authoritative language.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Then you may be unaware of how many fans show up on his profile and tell that they consider it to be the true ending. This is his way of agreeing with them for once.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Squarehead wrote:It's good he didn't say he liked In Water just because it's the fan favourite (at least, AFAIK).
:?
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
GeneralSubject
Just Passing Through

Post by GeneralSubject »

If as he does that you in imagination put a cemetary very close to water, then it does not count.