Long Day's Journey into Night

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Cyzyk
Just Passing Through

Long Day's Journey into Night

Post by Cyzyk »

I remember reading a thread where someone was drawing comparisions between O'Neill's play and SH2. Anyone know where it is? I wanted to say something about it without starting a new thread if possible.
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Too late now, then. >_>;
It’s being invaded by the Otherworld. By a world of someone’s
nightmarish delusions come to life.
-Harry Mason
Cyzyk
Just Passing Through

Post by Cyzyk »

Well, consider that there are two possibilities:

The thread I'm looking for does not exist. In which case, this thread becomes useful and relevant.

Alternatively, that thread does exist. Whatever I do with this topic, someone will point me in that direction and then this one will be locked and sink into the primordial ooze.

No matter how you cut it, this thread serves a purpose.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

I noticed in Silent Hill 2 unlike the other games the day and night are actally real, because when the game begins it is light, then after Blue Creek it is still light but with a orange tint, meaning sunset, then after the hospital it is night until after The Historical Society which would be Morning
Heidy Chang
Just Passing Through

Post by Heidy Chang »

redrum wrote:I noticed in Silent Hill 2 unlike the other games the day and night are actally real, because when the game begins it is light, then after Blue Creek it is still light but with a orange tint, meaning sunset, then after the hospital it is night until after The Historical Society which would be Morning
You're right, thats one of the details i like about the game :wink:
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/anime_chick04/Miscelanious%20Anime/ed2dca6a.gif[/img]

"In my restless dreams....i see that town...Silent Hill"
kingkyde
Just Passing Through

Post by kingkyde »

redrum wrote:I noticed in Silent Hill 2 unlike the other games the day and night are actally real, because when the game begins it is light, then after Blue Creek it is still light but with a orange tint, meaning sunset, then after the hospital it is night until after The Historical Society which would be Morning
never noticed that, I thought the night would mean more monsters,like in the SH Movie.
[img]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l21/kymondking/c2g2.jpg[/img]
Allen
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Allen »

I would like to visit the town of SH outside during "Otherworld" like in SH1 again.

The only thing we got in SH2 was more nurses, psh...
Whoomp
Gravedigger

Post by Whoomp »

Allen wrote:I would like to visit the town of SH outside during "Otherworld" like in SH1 again.

The only thing we got in SH2 was more nurses, psh...
Yeah thats the detail I liked the moast about the first game with all the fences, strange surroundings and altered pathways.
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

The changes between the worlds were so noticable, and it made it more bizarre. you cant find that anywhere else, except maybe SH3 and even there its not like the original
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I didn't notice any orange tint after James's foray through the apartments. I just thought that after James leaves the hospital, he's shifted into Nightmare Silent Hill, which is always dark.
JesterDK
Just Passing Through

Post by JesterDK »

Oddish wrote:I didn't notice any orange tint after James's foray through the apartments. I just thought that after James leaves the hospital, he's shifted into Nightmare Silent Hill, which is always dark.
You probably just weren't paying attention. As it's been pointed out though, I imagine it'll hit you like a ton of bricks the next time you play. When I played through my first time, I didn't really notice...
Then on my second run through I was running around and checking the whole map, and wondered how I missed the game's whole color changing like that. Hahaha

It was easier to notice when I went up stairs outside.(there's a bunch of buildings that have stairs you can go up. Can't do much else, but you can go up em.)
[url=http://metalgearmasters-club.1up.com][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/daviddk_123/RedwREXMGSMB.jpg[/img][/url]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

James doesn't experience the [otherside] in the apartments. His first time is in Brookhaven Hospital.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Pyramid Head 2401
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramid Head 2401 »

MMY wrote:James doesn't experience the [otherside] in the apartments. His first time is in Brookhaven Hospital.
nobody said he experienced it in the apartments
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I never noticed the sunset light, I liked the night walkthrough in the town cause the traffic lights were lit, I don't know why but that was creepy for me...

Anyway to see nurses and patient demons in the streets is lame, Konami should develop a chasing monster for thre streets and keep the nurses and patients at the hospital... This game just have 4 enemies (5 if you count the cockraches and 6 if you count Abstract Daddy who doesn't count cause is a boss)...

ANyway I'll check the sunset thing when I take back my PS2 from the pawn shop :?
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I noticed in Silent Hill 2 unlike the other games the day and night are actally real, because when the game begins it is light, then after Blue Creek it is still light but with a orange tint, meaning sunset, then after the hospital it is night until after The Historical Society which would be Morning
I believe it happens in SH3 also. After you leave Brookehaven it looks like the sun is setting, and by the time Heather reaches the Amusement park, it's dark before the shift even occurs.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
somatotonia
Just Passing Through

Post by somatotonia »

Allen wrote:I would like to visit the town of SH outside during "Otherworld" like in SH1 again.
And then there's also the "dark" version of Silent Hill that occurs in 1 that's an interstitial between the "daylight" version and the "alternate" version. I'd like to see more of that sometime.
[img]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/8/3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/8/Silent_Hill.gif[/img]
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/jellofudgepops.gif[/img]
[i]They said alreety and they was alrighty and I was a zomby for you, little lady.[/i]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>nobody said he experienced it in the apartments
JesterDK implied this.

Go away.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Aamon
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Aamon »

MMY wrote:>nobody said he experienced it in the apartments
JesterDK implied this.

Go away
Where is it implied? I just re-read that post, twice to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong, and saw nothing like that.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

somatotonia wrote:And then there's also the "dark" version of Silent Hill that occurs in 1 that's an interstitial between the "daylight" version and the "alternate" version. I'd like to see more of that sometime.
The Darkness always has had the same function of the mist, one comes for replace the other...

In Silent Hill 1 that was supposed to represent the Eclipse of the Keys, I think here was a post about that eclipse being the fusion of Cheryl and Alessa or something...

In SH2 the darkness could represent the heart of James who is really depressed after all that happened at the hospital... Then the daylight after the labyrinth could represent his anxiety for almost reach his goal...

In SH3 we just see the night before to reach Heather's home, it could be just a signal for the bad thing that happened there...

In SH4 the darkness appears when we are reaching the botton of the stairs; maybe represents the darkness in the core of Walter's heart or something
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

On a LDJIN note, when I read this book and saw that James was married to Mary, I couldn't help but bring it up to my English teacher, and continually made connections between James & Mary Tyrone and James & Mary Sunderland. Most of them are pretty far-fetched, though :?

And, despite the descriptions in the beginning of the game, I could not help but imagine the physical apperances of James & Mary Tyrone as that of the Sunderlands.