“If you really want to see Mary again” message (possibly) solved

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

“If you really want to see Mary again” message (possibly) solved

Post by The Adversary »

I always thought there was something more to the second message James comes across in Neely's Bar.

If you really want to see Mary,
you should just die.

But you might be heading to
a different place than Mary, James.

Of note, of course, is the seemingly random capitalization. This has always kinda haunted me in that the book House of Leaves is loaded with hidden messages in how it's presented, so much so that Johnny Truant, Pelafina's son, receives encoded letters from her like this.

And I think I just solved this one.

The capitalized letters in the above message are as follows:

I R L E E M O U D E B Y I E N A E M A R Y J S

At first I thought this was an impossible task because how are we supposed to know whether the first letters of pronouns should be used, such as the M in Mary, or J in James.

I didn't get far with that.

But using every letter, it leaves a clear message.

Be real, Mary. I need you. -James

or, conversely,

Be real, James. I need you. -Mary

Either way, it’s kind of huge.

There is a slight caveat to this: There is an 'I' leftover. However, I take that as not using the 'I' in 'If,' because it is written differently than the capitalized 'I' in 'mIght.' Additionally, it's hard to tell if the 'S' in 'James' is capitalized, though it looks as if it is.

Regardless, I'm absolutely positive this is not a coincidence or a case of pareidolia.
Last edited by The Adversary on 29 Dec 2023, edited 3 times in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Re: I think I just solved a 22-year-old mystery regarding the message in Neely's Bar

Post by KiramidHead »

It's cool that we can still find new things in the game after so much time has passed.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: “If you really want to see Mary again” message (possibly) solved

Post by The Adversary »

What I think is significant about this is that it could be a message to James from Mary. There was a brief conversation in the Discord about Mary’s involvement in the Otherworld (one that I’ve been suggesting for years), and how Mary felt guilt for how she treated James toward the end of her life.

Meaning Mary, or her spirit, much like Ernest, may also still be in town, and able to communicate with others.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.