Unsettling details...

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

TheRedOne

Unsettling details...

Post by TheRedOne »

The latest installment in the Silent Hill franchise is probably the best looking out of the bunch. (Duh!) However, the small little details placed into every environment really make the game quite memorable. Some are very subtle and don't really bother you until more time is spent thinking about them. (Human body parts found within the walls of the sewer stage...) Some are also the exact opposite. (Pools of blood galore...) All of these little nuances make the game stick with you long after playing.

What I want to know is what details really stuck with you, or stood out, or were just plain creepy? You're all welcome to list more than one for there are quite a few, a LOT actually...
Last edited by TheRedOne on 21 Dec 2008, edited 1 time in total.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

I didn't notice the body parts at all. I'll have to check it out my next time through. I personally felt this game didn't have as many creep out moments as the previous titles, but it did have a couple of good points. My favorite was probably the doll on the Hell Descent with the whole "Behind you."
I'm offended by political correctness.
Naissus
Just Passing Through

Post by Naissus »

I really liked the whole body parts in the sewer. Reminds me of the great wall of china. It makes you wonder exactly how Shepards Glen was built.
[url=http://img4.imageshack.us/i/n64362072821124427438.jpg/][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9635/n64362072821124427438.jpg[/img][/url]
Wolfang_02
Just Passing Through

Post by Wolfang_02 »

I like the fact that the game ACTUALLY shows you the bodies (human looking) instead of covering them up in sheets.
trideegurl2
Just Passing Through

Post by trideegurl2 »

I agree with teh earlier, the "behind you" was GREAT! I liekd the children's laughter at the playground.

But the whole "descent into hell" area was just amazing. I was impressed by that whole part, the steep steps that kept bendign in weird ways, the machinery sounds, etc. just loved it!
YES, I love Silent Hill 4! There I said it! :P
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

(Silent Hill 3's graphics were on par with Homecoming and it wasn't working with next gen. :P)

The Hell Descent had some funny black humor (whether intentional or unintentional) with a few of the hospital signs. I thought it was a neat touch.
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

I liked the blood that seeped from the cracks in the ceiling. It gave the impression that the walls and ceiling would collapse at any moment, unleashing a The Shining-style wave of blood to drown you. I also liked the bed on the ceiling in the otherworld Shepherd residence.
victim21
Woodside Apartments Janitor
Location: deepest recess of Walters mind... I got a train here :D

Post by victim21 »

The bodies in the sewer walls was creepy ... but I figured we were just underneath the graveyard by that point, and people didnt have coffins back when they were buried :p
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/The-doodler/sig.jpg[/img]
Big thanks to Milfy for my Avvy :D Sig was by me, woop!
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I liked the Hell Decent part too, just the fact that your home, your place of safety was invaded. I liked how Alex referenced them death masks to his mother. It was freaky.

I also loved the slight echo of child's voices in the playground.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

KLGChaos wrote:I didn't notice the body parts at all. I'll have to check it out my next time through. I personally felt this game didn't have as many creep out moments as the previous titles, but it did have a couple of good points. My favorite was probably the doll on the Hell Descent with the whole "Behind you."
For me it was a matter of staying alert and taking in all of my surroundings. I noticed quite a bit I hadn't before...

>Body in opening stage that appears to have been stomped to death, judging by the bloody boot marks up and down his/her body

>Disgusting female body found in sewer stage, room where you find the map, gross

>Numerous holes where insects spawn from

>Pyramid Head's constant presence through Hotel and Nightmare stages

>Vending machines... Look a little closer next time

>"Where are you?" message in Nightmare stage

>Multiple foreshadowing elements in opening sequence

There are so many!
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Apparently I need a password to view the page...

Damn!
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

It's "alex"
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Damn...

I never would've even noticed that!
o-('_'Q)
Just Passing Through

Post by o-('_'Q) »

Oh yeah I noticed that the frist time, if it wasnt from girlfriend seeing the same thing, I would have thought I was going crazy.
PyramidHead1036
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidHead1036 »

I noticed that part on the third playthrough. I thought it was a reflection of alex at first but.. It wasn't.
trideegurl2
Just Passing Through

Post by trideegurl2 »

Oh, the baby is the hospital, even though that was given away before release, it still was creepy, hearing the cries and then finding the doll....

I guess I missed a whole lot of crap. We played through and was very dissapointed for never finding anything like this..... grrr too busy pounding shit out of those impossible monsters
YES, I love Silent Hill 4! There I said it! :P
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

Guess I will need to look more closely next time.

I thought I heard something in the playground but I wasn't sure. I am also going to need to check out these alleged bodies in the sewers.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Yeah, a child's laughter can be heard in the playground. Also, be sure to look for them corpses. :D

You should be able to see them in the room where the sewer map is found. Have fun!
Morbid.Marionette
Just Passing Through

Post by Morbid.Marionette »

delusion wrote:http://silenthill5.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4943 Anyone noticed this?
I noticed it on my first play through, but it was more like:
. . . Hay Neaner did what was that?
What? The mannequin?
No the person behind the sheet. . .
Yeah the mannequin!
:?