Are the roads really cut off?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

Are the roads really cut off?

Post by Cactusgod »

I didn't see a topic on this, but I am kind of new, so feel free to slap me if there is.

I dont think theres a spoiler here, but I'll mark it anyway just incase.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
My question is, are the roads really cut off? I noticed in the play novel at Valtiel's Silent Hill site that Cybil mentions Cheryl walking on thin air. I honestly don't recall if this was in the game, but I was curious.

Do you guys think that the roads are really cut off when Silent Hill is in the Foggy stage? I mean, of course Alessa probably has the a ability to just walk across thin air in her own domain, however, none of the characters actually stuck their feet over the edge and actually felt for anything, nor did they toss a rock or anything like that. Is it possible that the people in Silent Hill actually trap themselves mentally, and that there is a means of escape, even if its just past where Alessa wants them to go?
Komov
Just Passing Through

Post by Komov »

Yes, I think they are - in foggy SH that is. I don't think there are any cut off roads in Real Silent Hill. In the Foggy one, Alessa cut them off to stop Harry, Kaufmann, Dahlia and possibly others to escape. Do they mentally trap themselves? Well, Alessa traps them inside her nightmares. The whole Foggy Silent Hill is her creation, and so are the cut off roads.

BTW, What I noticed about the FSH is the lack of cars. You see some of them crashed or parked, but they are very few...
[i]"It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others."
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."[/i]
Droo

Post by Droo »

No. Silent Hill's form changes to suit its purposes. IN SH3 Heather heads to Lakeside Amusement Park along Nathan Road, which, if SH2's geography was real, is impossible due to the chasm on Nathan Road. This proves that the chasms are not real, but manifest as needed to force the characters to go where they're needed.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AnneMarie
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AnneMarie »

>BTW, What I noticed about the FSH is the lack of cars. You see some of them crashed or parked, but they are very few...

Considering the year in time the event happened, I'd say that was perfectly normal. For instance, I look at photos of three-year-old me, riding my tricycle on the street outside my house, and there's only one car in the photo. Now I go down that street to see my sister and it's impossible to find a parking space.
Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door................ Locked. F*** it.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>none of the characters actually stuck their feet over the edge and actually felt for anything
In that reality, yes, there are chasms within the roads. If you manage to kill an Air Screamer mid-flight, over one of the chasms, it will drop, and it won't land.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
disappeared
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by disappeared »

Not to mention you can see houses and streetlights sunk down and hanging over the spots where the roads were destroyed.
-----------------------------------------------------
"If destiny interferes with reality, one
man's determination may merely be what
is determined by his fate."
Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

Post by Cactusgod »

Well the street lights and such could merely be more of the illusion.
disappeared
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by disappeared »

There was no illusion. The roads were physically destroyed.
"If destiny interferes with reality, one
man's determination may merely be what
is determined by his fate."
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

How does that explain them magically getting put back together? I guess things in Silent Hill do not require and explanation... But you know what I mean.
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

I always took it to mean the roads were "obliterated", quoting Cybil, in the "foggy" Silent Hill b/c, obviously, Harry could just walk out of SH if there wasn't anything keeping him there. To me it always added onto the overall creepiness, the roads were gone, there was no escape.
Cactusgod wrote:I noticed in the play novel at Valtiel's Silent Hill site that Cybil mentions Cheryl walking on thin air. I honestly don't recall if this was in the game, but I was curious.
Cybil does say that to Harry when she finds you at the Antique Shop in Central Silent Hill. Before that Harry says something like "And you just let her go? Where was it?", and Cybil says something like "She was on Bachman Road, I tried to follow her but it was like she walking on thin air."
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
Droo

Post by Droo »

Fredrick2003 wrote:How does that explain them magically getting put back together? I guess things in Silent Hill do not require and explanation... But you know what I mean.
The chasms are very real while they are manifesting. The topography of Silent Hill changes to suit its needs. The chasm on Nathan Road I mentioned, for example, forces James into the Historical Society and the Labyrinth. That's where he needs to go in his quest for self-destruction. Heather, however, needs to get to the Amusement Park ASAP, so the chasm does not manifest there for her.

Silent Hill is like Rose Red.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The streets just are destryed in the Foggy and Dark Silent Hills
In other way how could Harry leave the town with the baby??
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

Well we never see what happens after harry takes the baby into the light... Could be all "normal" out there again.
breremarer
Just Passing Through

Post by breremarer »

Personally, I was never quite sure if the roads being gone were real or not. Like, I'm sure in the characters' minds, the chasms were very real. They couldn't leave or walk over them or anything because (like in the Matrix) the mind makes it real. But in reality, I find it rather hard to believe that the roads were actually ripped away and coveniently repaired by Silent Hill depending upon where it wanted the character to go.

I suppose it is certainly possible, though.
Silent Hill is like Rose Red.
Yeah, like Rose Red.
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

Fredrick2003 wrote:Well we never see what happens after harry takes the baby into the light... Could be all "normal" out there again.
propably they managed to escape because after Alessas dead city got back to its normal abandoned state
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

In the matrix your mind makes it real, but in silent hill does it hmmm O_O???
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

I think the difference is, in Silent Hill, a chasm where a road should be is very real. I highly doubt Harry and Cybil were imagining it.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
Furin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Are the roads really cut off?

Post by Furin »

Cactusgod wrote:I didn't see a topic on this, but I am kind of new, so feel free to slap me if there is.

I dont think theres a spoiler here, but I'll mark it anyway just incase.
My question is, are the roads really cut off? I noticed in the play novel at Valtiel's Silent Hill site that Cybil mentions Cheryl walking on thin air. I honestly don't recall if this was in the game, but I was curious.

Do you guys think that the roads are really cut off when Silent Hill is in the Foggy stage? I mean, of course Alessa probably has the a ability to just walk across thin air in her own domain, however, none of the characters actually stuck their feet over the edge and actually felt for anything, nor did they toss a rock or anything like that. Is it possible that the people in Silent Hill actually trap themselves mentally, and that there is a means of escape, even if its just past where Alessa wants them to go?
I think they are physically destroyed too. And she says that when you're at the antique shop if i remember rightly. :P The idea of it being mental was probably put there by team silent ;p
like the scene in SH3 when Vincent suggests that the monsters may be normal people
http://silenthill5.net/

[url=http://silenthill5.net/forums/]Silent Hill V forums[/url]
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

I wish I could see a character try to step over one of them... Ya never know until you try.
Denizen
Just Passing Through

Post by Denizen »

breremarer wrote:Personally, I was never quite sure if the roads being gone were real or not. Like, I'm sure in the characters' minds, the chasms were very real. They couldn't leave or walk over them or anything because (like in the Matrix) the mind makes it real.
Using the GameShark no-clipping code enables Harry to walk across the chasms, and then eventually into the void.