Silent Hill 1's controls

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Silent Hill 1's controls

Post by Ryoshockwave »

I love them, and not just because 3D controls are my favorite. The camera is awesome. I mean, most survival horror games have fixed cameras (especially old ones), you can actually move the camera in Silent Hill! I also like being able to change the camera to self view (why didn't the put this in the other games!?) I even like how Start = pause and Select = item screen. Anyone else pause the game when trying to get to your health playing Silent Hill 2? I also like how when you walk up to a downed monster and press X... Harry steps on the monster and doesn't try to pull out his gun/aim at it like James and Heather sometimes do.

Who's with me?
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

I'm with you.

(on top of you)

(possibly literally)
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

^From where I see you, you're below her. :P

I'm with you too, Ryoshockwave. SH1's controls were much better that RE's, although not as smooth. The adjustable camera was the best feature.
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
adm1r
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by adm1r »

My god i remember how the characters in RE games were...somehow...stiff and with the lame controls i was more than frustrated :X.SH was much more smoother.
Chris Sunderland

Post by Chris Sunderland »

Moving Harry is like moving a semi in a snow storm. I think SH1's controls are atrocious at best, but it's worth dealing with.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
TravisGrady
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TravisGrady »

I only played the PSp version, where the default control scheme was absolutely horrible. But luckily they added a custom scheme, so I was able to change move to the analog nub
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

I completely agree with you Ryo :)
Only sometimes while running you couldn't turn so easily, but that was just a minor inconvenience.
And i love the Camera, even when it is pointed at your face and you can't see that much anymore, it just adds to the tension
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I loved the controls of SH1. Especially the ability to side step quickly and jump back before a monster attacked Harry. I still try to get Heather to jump back from time to time and she just like turns around and runs sideways.

The only thing I didn't like was spending 5 min.s moving Harry around a Health Drink because he doesn't want to pick it up. :?
Rehkyt
Just Passing Through

Post by Rehkyt »

When comparing it re controls, Silent hill is great. But I'm still a fan of 2d controls.
Eddie_gun_blaster
Just Passing Through

Post by Eddie_gun_blaster »

I love the L2 camera system, how can you view your surrounding like that. And it adds a creepy feeling too
A pity silent hill 5 finished with that
Killing a person ain't no big deal! Just put the gun in their head, POW
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Harrys_Girl wrote:I loved the controls of SH1. Especially the ability to side step quickly and jump back before a monster attacked Harry. I still try to get Heather to jump back from time to time and she just like turns around and runs sideways.

The only thing I didn't like was spending 5 min.s moving Harry around a Health Drink because he doesn't want to pick it up. :?
I like being able to jump backwards, too.

Yeah, sometimes when picking up an item you need to be in the EXACT right spot. i used to have that problem from time to time..
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

People whine about the tank controls, but alot of games had them back then. I never found them particularly bothersome.
The Procrastinator
Just Passing Through

Post by The Procrastinator »

The self-view feature has to be one of the best features in the game.

One truly must wonder why they didn't put it in the others.
Makes exploration a whole lot more interesting.
We entered Winter once again
Naked, freezing from my breath
Neath the lid all limbs tucked away
This coffin is your abode from now
and onwards
heavensnightsh

Post by heavensnightsh »

The Procrastinator wrote:The self-view feature has to be one of the best features in the game.

One truly must wonder why they didn't put it in the others.
Makes exploration a whole lot more interesting.
This would have to be the only positive thing I have to say about the camera/controls of this game. It makes the alleyway scene just soo much better.
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

Ryoshockwave wrote:
Harrys_Girl wrote:I loved the controls of SH1. Especially the ability to side step quickly and jump back before a monster attacked Harry. I still try to get Heather to jump back from time to time and she just like turns around and runs sideways.

I like being able to jump backwards, too.

Yeah, sometimes when picking up an item you need to be in the EXACT right spot. i used to have that problem from time to time..
Strange, i never had any trouble getting the health drinks, always immediatly got it
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

I thought the controls worked pretty nice. Not the best in the world but good enough anyway. L2 camera was nice too..(I think it was L2..played it on the psp..lol)
-=Let's Positive thinking=-