The Sub-basement

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

The Sub-basement

Post by Moosefrenzy »

I found the sub-basement to be one of the most intriguing, yet mysterious places in the series. But, why did the hospital had a sub-basement in the first place?
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
That is where Alessa was kept after her burning, but could not have been solely built to keep Alessa hidden
What other purpose could the sub-basement have provided? What other secrets could they have kept secret from down below? [/spoiler]
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

This is just a wild guess, but the way the rooms were arranged and the type of doors they had remind me of the padded cells of old sanitoriums. Maybe in the 'old days' when madness was stigmatised they kept really extreme cases down there where they could exist off the record. Some sort of generally taboo procedure also springs to mind. Maybe they conducted abortions down there before they became generally endorsed. That would add an interesting spin upon Alessa being held there, being a seemingly miraculous birth in herself, and a partially aborted one for much of her life (ie Dahlia half-killing her).
Live the nightmare conceived by Adam Crowley:
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9746/nightmarecreaturesiconwx0.png[/img]
Moosefrenzy

Post by Moosefrenzy »

Those are some great theories. I'm impressed actually.

So what are your thoughts on the room where you hear the glass breaking sound? What comes to my mind based on your first observation is "breaking the silence" from within the isolated padded cells.

But that abortion theory connecting with Alessa and the events of Cheryl really catch on once you think about it in a second sense.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

those are good theorys but theirs so many posibilitys like it could have been a storm shelter if needed or just extra storage space.
Warrior of Death
Just Passing Through

Post by Warrior of Death »

Or maybe to keep the secrets of the cult safe?...
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I would say that is the beat theory.^As Lisa said the new people moved things were on the quiet side, but the occult probably didn't stop it's practices, just performed in the darkness of the sub basment.

And it was used to imprision Alessa and harbor illegal drugs.
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

i always thought hey were just storage rooms, i like the other theories though. ^_^
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Probably for the drugs.
LPStreetSoldierM
Just Passing Through

Post by LPStreetSoldierM »

Those are pretty good theories. :D
I think the hospital was one of the scariest locations in Silent Hil 1.
-Dead Man Inc.:evil:
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I thought that this was for keep thew burned Alessa away from the public knowledge, she was kept there waiting for the return of Cheryl
Moosefrenzy

Post by Moosefrenzy »

Yeah well the cult members weren't exactly waiting for "the return" of her. It was Alessa that called for the return, and keeping it as spoiler free as I can as a response to your spoiler box
It was assumed that Lisa separated Cheryl from her roots in Silent Hill. Alessa was intentionally hidden in the sub-basement from the public. They wanted Alessa contained. If the cult wanted Cheryl to return, Harry would not have had to go through Silent Hill Hell on his journey.
fafner87
Gravedigger

Post by fafner87 »

Moosefrenzy wrote:So what are your thoughts on the room where you hear the glass breaking sound?
I always thought the glass breaking was
a projection of the sound of Kaufman breaking the bottle of aglaophotis in his office.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/fafner87/SilentHillsigbyAric.jpg[/img]
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Wasn't Dahlia who broke that??
DisturbingtownofSH
Just Passing Through

Post by DisturbingtownofSH »

fafner87 wrote:
Moosefrenzy wrote:So what are your thoughts on the room where you hear the glass breaking sound?
I always thought the glass breaking was
a projection of the sound of Kaufman breaking the bottle of aglaophotis in his office.
I would have never thought of that
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>It was assumed that Lisa separated Cheryl from her roots in Silent Hill.
Erroneously. Cheryl was "born" on the side of the road; she wasn't put there by Lisa.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Watchdog
Historical Society Historian

Post by Watchdog »

Many like to think the action of running baby Cheryl to the road was what started the chain of events that led to her death. Regardless, her situation wouldn't have allowed for Lisa to do it.
heathergirl
Just Passing Through

Post by heathergirl »

Wasn't there a room where it sounded as if someone else was in it? I'm not sure if it was the "breaking glass" room or not. I did love those rooms though. Very creepy. I agree that a lot of grissly events took place in those rooms in the past. Hence all the crazy/creepy atmosphere.
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

I don't understand why the sound of glass breaking is just in that room. If it really is an echo of Dahlia breaking the aglaophitis wouldn't it be upstairs somewhere or where it was actually broken?
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine
TANK
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TANK »

Harrys_Girl wrote:I would say that is the beat theory.^As Lisa said the new people moved things were on the quiet side, but the occult probably didn't stop it's practices, just performed in the darkness of the sub basment.

And it was used to imprision Alessa and harbor illegal drugs.
i agree with your points, i think the rooms were for performing rituals, as well as hiding drugs
It's a world of someone's nightmarish dillusions come to life.
Rastek
Just Passing Through

Post by Rastek »

So Cheryl was just a complex ilusion all this time? The Lisa theory seems to fit better. Yes it is probable that the sub-basement was used as a cult hide-out for performing rituals, however, when we go there we don't see any evidence of this. Did they stop performing rituals here when Alessa was burned as they considered them unnecesary?

Just grasping at the dark here :)
Wait wHile thEse Rats End themselves And tomoRrow wE maY hOld oUr hands
(?)