The Torch

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Suzie-too
Just Passing Through

The Torch

Post by Suzie-too »

I keep reading all over that if you switch off the torch, the monsters will leave you alone. So I tried that, having run out of ammo, on the docks. But I kept getting followed by this damn Night Flutter, and some Wormheads. And it could not have seen me before; as I switched off the torch before the world switched. Is there a reason for this? Were they lying, have I been duped into believing that I can just "sneak by" the enemy? I even read that you can creep up to an enemy with your torch off, and BAM! kill it before it sees you. (I find this very implausible as it is impossible to see anything with the torch off!)
Last edited by Suzie-too on 26 Nov 2008, edited 1 time in total.
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

Turning off the torch reduces your risk of being seen by enemies, but will not eliminate it. They will follow the sound of your footsteps if you run...
Now the dream of this life must end, and so, too, must the dreamers within it.
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

I think it just works on the nurses.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The dogs always find you even with the lights out, they have good hearing... Anyway I've sneaked the air screamers but the night Flutters seem to have better vision...
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

LanceS133 wrote:I think it just works on the nurses.
That's just the movie. :P

I use this technique mostly in indoor areas, though it also helps me get through the streets to the school after the eclipse. A few monsters will still go after me even when I'm just walking, but if I hear them coming I'll take off running. Once I'm out of their hearing range, they'll stop following.

At the school, I can walk past the demon children in the hallways and they'll never know I'm there. Saves me a ton of ammo.
Suzie-too
Just Passing Through

Post by Suzie-too »

Thanks, that really does help. I will now just use the torch when facing the night flutters and dogs.

I am guessing the mumblers haven't got very good hearing then!

Thanks again!
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

>I am guessing the mumblers haven't got very good hearing then!

They will hear you if you run or if you fire/swing a weapon. As long as you're walking, though, you should be fine. Keep in mind, you will have to turn the light on to pick up objects, check the map, or unlock a door.
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Yeah, outdoors you still need to make a wide circle around enemies, but you can outrun them still. They will see/hear you if you're right near them, but they seem to give up on chasing you faster when it's off, when it's on they will just gang up on you and swarm around.
Were they lying, have I been duped into believing that I can just "sneak by" the enemy?
You can sneak by them without turning it off, so I'd say no, you werent duped. It is tremendously helpful at times when you want to conserve your ammo or avoid getting hit.
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Well, I don't know anything about a torch, but yeah, the flashlight technique does work, and only in certain situations.
Truthfully I didn't bother with turning it off many times, but from what I did gather, well, it's pretty much what you would guess: with the flashlight off, you generally have to be quite a bit closer for the enemies on the floor/ground to notice you. I never really thought of trying it with the air screamers/night flutters.

Just be aware that it's never guaranteed to work; sometimes you can be sneaking by at what seems like a pretty safe distance, but they'll still spot you.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

>Well, I don't know anything about a torch, but yeah, the flashlight technique does work. . .

She's speaking English English instead of American English. :wink:

Lift = Elevator
Fag = Cigarette
Biscuit = Cookie
Torch = Flashlight
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Oh, well I knew each of those except for torch. :P
Jim beam was yo dADDY
Just Passing Through

Post by Jim beam was yo dADDY »

but yeah try the game on hard without the flashlight off and you will be raped in the school, one room has like 7 kids in it. The flashlight Trick makes this game a little more scary too, you want to sneak by.... but when you fuck up you hear the (owwaghhhuuuahh!) noise the mumblers make and you scream like a cheerleader about to be raped (^ bad onimonapea i know,,, but you know what im talkni bout)
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe