Pitch Black Silent Hill

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Watchdog
Historical Society Historian

Post by Watchdog »

The fire station thing was always just a theory. And I don't care what the movie says. The movie said the snow was ash and Dahlia wasn't the baddie.
Jeklinhyd
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jeklinhyd »

I thought it was just the foggy world at night.
"Never accept advice from a man wearing white pants," Michael J. Nelson
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Foggy Silent Hill doesn't have rusty grates for streets.
DarKnight90
Just Passing Through

Post by DarKnight90 »

^ I think he was talking about the small dark part before the school.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/CyRaX123/logo3.jpg[/img]
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Right, I should have clarified. The first post also made mention of the part in the second half of the game. Before heading to the school, it's foggy Silent Hill during the eclipse, as F said (not at night). Later in the game when the streets are rusty grates, that's the Otherworld/Nightmare Silent Hill.
TheSeaweedKing
Just Passing Through

Post by TheSeaweedKing »

I remember the door to the backyard right before it went dark said something about an eclipse, but I didn't make that connection when it turned dark right outside. I was thinking of it as just another freaky random occurrence, but the eclipse thing makes loads of sense, and now I feel like a dummy. D'oh. The part towards the last half of the game is definitely because of the otherworld influence, because Harry comments on it when it goes dark and the streets turn into grates.
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

>The fire station thing was always just a theory. And I don't care what the movie says. The movie said the snow was ash and Dahlia wasn't the baddie.

You must remember that the movie holds no validity in regards to the
games. I stated a theory. And most definately did not get that theory
from the movie. This had been discussed way before the movie was released.
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
Darkh4
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Darkh4 »

One thing has always bothered me though. What is exactly is the Eclipse, and what is it's significance? Is it really just an actual solar eclipse brought on for the sole purpose of making everything dark?

I realize I'm probably just reading into it to much, but I always felt like there must be some significance to it that I missed. Mostly because of the way it's presented. What with actually being called by name on the key map and all.
And thus we see the heavy stone, and also the steep hill, and look! There's Sisyphus, waving madly. Is he greeting us, or warning us?." -Tycho
SilentHillgod
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentHillgod »

Actually the rusty Silent Hill and pitch black Silent Hill are pretty much the same, just that the pitch black one is outside and the rusty one is easier to tell that it's inside. You can tell if you look at the ground when you run outside in it, He's just running on the metal rusted grating kinda like what's on the walls when you're inside during these changes. 8)
"Nothing can stop the power of life-not even death"
Darkh4
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Darkh4 »

Um, when Harry triggers the Eclipse, the ground does not change to rusted metal gratings. Everything stays the same except that it's pitch dark, it stops snowing, and that really creepy music starts up.

And it stays that way all the way to Midwich Elementary.
And thus we see the heavy stone, and also the steep hill, and look! There's Sisyphus, waving madly. Is he greeting us, or warning us?." -Tycho
Funkee
Just Passing Through

Post by Funkee »

Darkh4 wrote:...and that really creepy music starts up.
Creepy? I just love that song. :)

I think the darkness comes in the old silent hill because of eclipse (when Harry is using the keys to the backdoor).
[ m a r i a ]
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by [ m a r i a ] »

^ That's what I always assumed it was as well - something to do with the eclipse and whatnot. I never really thought much about it though, and it's been a bit since I last played.
[img]http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v494/xmyheartlove/maria15.jpg[/img]
you know she moves like sin.
Darkh4
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Darkh4 »

Funkee wrote:
Darkh4 wrote:...and that really creepy music starts up.
Creepy? I just love that song. :)

I think the darkness comes in the old silent hill because of eclipse (when Harry is using the keys to the backdoor).
I like that music because it's creepy. :)

Everyone keeps saying that the darkness comes because of the Eclipse. I think that much is obvious. My question is, does the Eclipse have some symbolic meaning, to Alessa or otherwise, or is it just something thrown in to be scary?

I realize it's probably the latter, but I always felt like I was missing some significance to it because of the way it was presented.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So basically, there are 3 realms? The foggy realm, the eclipse realm, and then the nightmare/rusty realm.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

The eclipse takes place in the foggy realm. It's not a reality shift.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Oh okay. So theres like two realities. And the place "Nowhere" is the nightmare place also?
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Not quite. Nowhere has properties unique to that particular reality that clearly seperate it from alternate Silent Hill, most notably the nonsensical and physically impossible layout that indicates that this place is made up of fragments of Alessa's subconscious that don't really exist in a physical space (hence, "Nowhere"). I wouldn't count it as a reality unto itself though. Foggy Silent Hill is a construction of Dahlia's, while alternate Silent Hill (Otherworld) is a construction of Alessa's. Nowhere is not a conscious construction, it's kind of a void.

*rereads* I suck with the explaining. I recommend perusing this thread for further explanation.
Last edited by JuriDawn on 03 Jan 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Alright, thanks. I'll look into it.
heathergirl
Just Passing Through

Post by heathergirl »

(from the official guidebook) :mrgreen:

Q: Why does the town suddenly become dark?

A: Even in the nightmare world, there is a cycle.

It becomes night (?) on a number of occasions as Harry moves about the town. In the same
way, there are also many times when aspects of the town and its buildings change completely.
For the sake of convenience, this will be referred to as the "right side" and "reverse side" in
this book. These changes occur because there is a cycle in the world of Alessa's nightmares
which envelops the town. In the same way that a person normally repeats REM sleep and
non-REM sleep in regular cycles while he or she is sleeping, when the nightmare world
approaches a deeper darkness (sleep), a phenomenon occurs in which light is almost
completely taken away and the world shifts into an even deeper nightmare as the cycle shifts
again. As for the "right side" and the "reverse side," in short, it isn't that one is reality and one
is a dream; the fact is that neither is reality. Incidentally, the reason the "reverse side" takes on
such an ominous aspect is that with her burned body, Alessa's endless nightmares were
twisted and amplified by thoughts of the malevolent god. Her hatred and terror became
nourishment on which the malevolent deity thrived.
Arthemesic
Historical Society Historian

Re:

Post by Arthemesic »

JuriDawn wrote:Not quite. Nowhere has properties unique to that particular reality that clearly seperate it from alternate Silent Hill, most notably the nonsensical and physically impossible layout that indicates that this place is made up of fragments of Alessa's subconscious that don't really exist in a physical space (hence, "Nowhere"). I wouldn't count it as a reality unto itself though. Foggy Silent Hill is a construction of Dahlia's, while alternate Silent Hill (Otherworld) is a construction of Alessa's. Nowhere is not a conscious construction, it's kind of a void.
Nowhere carries a frighteningly similar attribute as Aleister Crowley's concept of the Abyss.
Victory Of The Soul, Triumph Over Ordeal