The cars of silent hill

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

pugiofidei
Just Passing Through

The cars of silent hill

Post by pugiofidei »

Strange things catch my interest when I play games. When I first experienced Silent Hill, the cars and other vehicles fascinated me. I don't know why; they're just one of those incidental details that caught my attention. Sadly, I don't have a copy of the game, but I would like to go back and see if the cars were based on real models or not. Either way, they perfectly evoke the look of vehicles of the 70s/early 80s.

Anyway, I know this is an odd question, but has anyone cataloged the vehicles of the first Silent Hill?
Give me liberty or give me...well, no, there are no other options. None that I would accept, anyway.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Re: The cars of silent hill

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

That's an attention to detail I never thought much about. The fact that the cars weren't drivable made me not notice them much, but they've shown references to things in street and building names, so I wouldn't be surprised if the cars were at least based off reality.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
pugiofidei
Just Passing Through

Post by pugiofidei »

Doctor Eggnog wrote:That's an attention to detail I never thought much about. The fact that the cars weren't drivable made me not notice them much, but they've shown references to things in street and building names, so I wouldn't be surprised if the cars were at least based off reality.
When I get a copy of Silent Hill to play again, I'll try to examine them in more detail. It would be really cool to be able to dump the models and examine them in something like Blender.

I really did want to drive a car in SH1. I half expected to be able to ride that motorcycle!
Give me liberty or give me...well, no, there are no other options. None that I would accept, anyway.
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Post by SilentWren »

^you and me both, dude.
You and me both.

This has actually got me curious now.
Here's a good one. Scroll down until you see Harry.

http://www.gamescares.com/main/index.ph ... &Itemid=40

And look at how weird and square the cop car looks @ this angle.
http://members.aye.net/~gharris/blog/SilentHill06.jpg

It would be quite a feat to sort through all the graphical limits and figure out what all of them are, but if I find anyone who's done anything like this I'll be sending them your way. Or sending you their way....whichever way that works.

I might actually do a little research myself on this.
It's something small, but I wonder now how accurate they were.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
pugiofidei
Just Passing Through

Post by pugiofidei »

SilentWren wrote:^you and me both, dude.
You and me both.

This has actually got me curious now.
Here's a good one. Scroll down until you see Harry.

http://www.gamescares.com/main/index.ph ... &Itemid=40

And look at how weird and square the cop car looks @ this angle.
http://members.aye.net/~gharris/blog/SilentHill06.jpg

It would be quite a feat to sort through all the graphical limits and figure out what all of them are, but if I find anyone who's done anything like this I'll be sending them your way. Or sending you their way....whichever way that works.

I might actually do a little research myself on this.
It's something small, but I wonder now how accurate they were.
I'm thinking that police car might be based on a Dodge Diplomat:

clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Slightly off topic....i looked at that vid of the mansion from the RE series(from the gamescares site)...i forgot how great of a design the mansion actually was...it was the perfect setup and sort of a cliche` and classic location for a horror game...

As far as the car goes...yeah..it's based on the diplomat...i think Douglas from SH3 is driving one in a cutscene with Heather...it's funny how you can tell what kind of car that's in games, but are slightly off design wise due to licensing and royalty issues...:mrgreen:...but clearly you can tell that harry's vehicle is a jeep wrangler,...but if there was a cause for Harry to desrcibe the jeep in the game, you better believe he would've called it something else...:D
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

Vehicles that I've been able to identify in SH1: Ford LTD, Dodge Diplomat, Ford Fairmont (possibly, or maybe a Mercury Zephyr), Blue Bird Schoolbus.

They are changed and 'debadged' a bit but as said above if you're familiar with such cars you can suss them out.

Edit: Oh yeah, Harry's Jeep, of course, hehe.
PromiseMe
Just Passing Through

Post by PromiseMe »

I was playing through today and I found a Ford Explorer and a Jeep Charokee (Woohoo! Jeeps representin' in Silent Hill!). I also found some four door hatchback car like a Ford Fiesta or maybe a Geo Metro, and a station wagon. Although I didn't get to look closer at the latter two because I had dogs and ariscreamers chasing me.
You shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!!!!