Christian Review

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

PeachySakura24
Historical Society Historian

Post by PeachySakura24 »

"Mommy, I don't want to go to school anymore if there are monsters in the basement and dead guys in the bathroom!"
"No! No hospital! Nurses will kill me!"
A tool for trauma would be more like it.
SuriKatta
Just Passing Through

Post by SuriKatta »

SuriKatta, don't feel bad for breathing life into this thread. You have only been here a few days, and everything I have read of yours has been well thought out and enjoyable.
Why, thank you. :) Even though I write a lot, I really appreciate comments on the quality of my posts. Makes the typing worthwhile. ;)
If I learned anything from Silent Hill, it wasn't about cults and devils, it was that there are some people who love their children so unconditionally that they are willing to put their own lives at stake for the sake of their children, no matter if there is a bond of blood between them or not, and then there are people who view their children as a means to an end, and will do anything to make their own lives easier, even if it mean sacrificing their children.
I definately agree on all of your points there. I feel if someone cannot obtain this message from these games (the common theme of 'love'), as it was the intended message brought forward by the developers, then there's something wrong... obviously the people are too interested in focusing on the more violent and disturbing aspects of the game (which I admit are all quite interesting), and the occult aspects of the game, then what the game is actually trying to say.

My mother is a devout Christian, though it does confuse me a little as she always wants me to bring over the Silent Hill and let her watch me play it whenever I get a new one. (She was actually really upset when she found out 0rigins was only on the PSP and that I couldn't play it on the big TV without cords.) I don't think she likes to admit the fact that she's secretly intrigued with the storylines and situations of the characters... not to mention the weird environments and creatures. She keeps saying "Oh, this game is so horrible!" or "This is so violent!" and 10 minutes later will be telling me to 'look at that' or 'go over there' because she wants to 'see what that was'. ;)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Alinnia/lisasig.jpg[/img]
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Awww, your mom sounds like a closet gamer. :)
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

This game could surely be dangerous
How can a game be dangerous? I think they are over-reacting. I've never read this article before. Infact, this is the first I have ever heard of it.

And yeah, your mum definitely sounds like a closet gamer! Thats awesome.
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

I know that some video games are mind destructive as a fact, but I've never heard that games can be "dangerous". Especially horror. Maybe RE.
seal_of_metatron
Just Passing Through

Post by seal_of_metatron »

game_over wrote:I know that some video games are mind destructive as a fact, but I've never heard that games can be "dangerous". Especially horror. Maybe RE.
^could you please give a source for that?
there's not too many kids, just the wrong people having them
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

seal_of_metatron wrote:
game_over wrote:I know that some video games are mind destructive as a fact, but I've never heard that games can be "dangerous". Especially horror. Maybe RE.
^could you please give a source for that?
Well, that is a personal opinion.
seal_of_metatron
Just Passing Through

game_over wrote:Well, that is a personal opinion.
you don't work for the esrb, do ya? :lol:
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

seal_of_metatron wrote:
game_over wrote:Well, that is a personal opinion.
you don't work for the esrb, do ya? :lol:
No, but I've met Jack Thompson. He is an asshole.
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

If anything, Silent Hill reinforces a Christian ethos. Yes, there are many occult elements in the game, but nearly all of them are portrayed as “evil” and dangerous, similar to how Christians view them. On top of that, the mechanical use of occult elements, especially in the first game, is shaky at best, reliant upon pop-culture preconceptions. Because Silent Hill upholds and builds upon negative stereotypes of the occult to make a game of horror, I think pagans and wiccans have more reason to scorn this game than Christians.
seal_of_metatron
Just Passing Through

game_over wrote:No, but I've met Jack Thompson. He is an asshole.
as is anyone causing me to flash i.d. just to buy a game...
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

^I am pleased when people ask for my ID when I am buying a game. Mostly because I am 27 years old, and people still say I look like I am much younger than that. And I praise those people who ask for the ID right to their faces. I wouldn't want my kid to be allowed to buy a game he is too young for because the cashier was too lazy to make sure it was ok before selling it to him.
I was actually at a convention that Jack Thompson was at, but I didn't even know he was there, so I didn't get the chance to meet him and tell him where to shove it, lol.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

I agree with PeachySakura24.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

Rob Matter wrote:If anything, Silent Hill reinforces a Christian ethos. Yes, there are many occult elements in the game, but nearly all of them are portrayed as “evil” and dangerous, similar to how Christians view them. On top of that, the mechanical use of occult elements, especially in the first game, is shaky at best, reliant upon pop-culture preconceptions. Because Silent Hill upholds and builds upon negative stereotypes of the occult to make a game of horror, I think pagans and wiccans have more reason to scorn this game than Christians.
Good point.

I myself expected to see some Jewish communities to review this game. I mean, their religious elements and symbols were used in this game. BTW, do we have any Jewish members here?
LSnow06
Just Passing Through

Post by LSnow06 »

I also am a Christian. But I love the Silent Hill games, especially because I am a true Horror and Gore fan. I love the story lines in the games. Especially Silent Hill 3. I found the game to be of particular interest especially when you get to the church.
When you look at how their religion was set up by looking at the plaques placed around the church it seemed to me to be a vague imitation of the Stations of the Cross.
The only thing this did for me was amusement. Isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery.
I was not offended in the slightest. I believe in two main things:
1. Judge not least you be judged.
2. Free Will.
God gave us all Free Will. What gives anyone the right to take that away, regardless of why. The road to hell was paved with good intentions.
So I tell the extreme Christians who condemn the game and the gamers this. Hey you got free will, feel free to not play it.
“...Where Angels Sleep in Endless Dark”
seal_of_metatron
Just Passing Through

[quote="LSnow06"] I believe in two main things:
1. Judge not least you be judged.
2. Free Will.
God gave us all Free Will. What gives anyone the right to take that away, regardless of why. The road to hell was paved with good intentions.
quote]

absolutely. i believe in God, and it's very sad to see Christianity as a whole judged so harshly because of the actions of a few, but those few are also usually the loudest...
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

My grandfather is very religious, and my mom and I don't understand why. He has a very scientific mind, which usually does not really go with the amount of religious he is.
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

PeachySakura24 wrote:My grandfather is very religious, and my mom and I don't understand why. He has a very scientific mind, which usually does not really go with the amount of religious he is.
Science and religion do mix sometimes.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

They do indeed, but with my grandfather, it is weird. He believes in all sorts of evolutionary theories, and the Big Bang theory, yet he also believes God created the earth and everything like that. So how can you firmly and absolutely believe in both?
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

PeachySakura24 wrote:They do indeed, but with my grandfather, it is weird. He believes in all sorts of evolutionary theories, and the Big Bang theory, yet he also believes God created the earth and everything like that. So how can you firmly and absolutely believe in both?
I kinda believe that God did the Big Bang himself. It could be possible that the Big Bang lasted for 7 days or 6 or 8 days.

So, yeah./ Me and your granddad have something in common. :roll: