Rough Graphics?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Rough Graphics?

Post by Eric-3 »

I just started playing this on PS3 as a PSN PSOne Classic. I'm using an SD TV.
The graphics look really rough. I don't mean the textures or the blocky 3D, I mean...it looks like the screen is covered by little dots or squares. This is the only game I have this problem with.

http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/b/d/7/gfs_42896_2_2.jpg
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/d/1/7/gfs_42896_2_6.jpg
More examples here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/198641-silent-hill/images

Has the game always been like this, even the disc version running on a PS1? It's rather distracting sometimes, especially if I move the camera around quickly. I tried turning Smoothing on, but that didn't help.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Rough Graphics?

Post by The Adversary »

You mean the snow? Yeah, it's always there.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

I think he is referring to how the screenshots appear to be covered in what looks like a low-resolution grain filter, what future games did with actual film grain effects.

If so, that's always been part of the game and is totally normal.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

It's the hardware emulation. A similar situation showed up on the PS2, where the screen was divided into a much more visible grid of lit squares than was apparent on the PS1. It's only a slight annoyance, but it is noticeable.

At the end of the day, original hardware is best.
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

OK. Thanks. I ended up playing through most of the game today and thankfully I just got so into the game that I forgot about being bothered by the grain square things.

Though now I started noticing bits of dialogue missing during cutscenes or cutting off abruptly. Like the subtitle might say "What?", but nothing is spoken or it just goes "Wh-" then cuts off (even though all the dialogue before and after that in that same cutscene are fully spoken).

Edit: Also when I was watching the videotape (both the distorted version earlier in the game and the full version near the end), I noticed the last one or two whole sentences were silent, not just a single word cut off.

Has anyone else had that problem?
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I have the game as a download on PS3.
What videotape? The one with Lisa?
silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by silenthell88 »

You're playing it emulated. It's best to get the original system. Expect glitches on emulation.

fyi..

If you want SH1 to look it's best then play it with ePSXe on your computer with all the graphic options turned up on the emulator. It looks much better than PS1 or PS3 running it.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

silenthell88 wrote:You're playing it emulated. It's best to get the original system. Expect glitches on emulation.

fyi..

If you want SH1 to look it's best then play it with ePSXe on your computer with all the graphic options turned up on the emulator. It looks much better than PS1 or PS3 running it.
Agreed. This is how I run my copy, and with the right tweaks it looks fantastic, comparably. However, the 3D polygons being so sharp does kind of clash with the blurry textures.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

thy_butcher: Yes, the Lisa videotape.

silenthell88: Yeah, I have seen it running on an emulator and I was a little disappointed when I saw how much worse it looked on PS3. I don't have a disc copy to run on an emulator though and I wanted to pay for the game fairly.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Ahh, there's the issue.

If you had a disc, I'd say wander off to a nearby used game store and pick up a PS1 for $10. As it is, the disc would be the most expensive part, by far. :P
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

Yeah. :P
I don't have many good stores here that sell older games or systems. I saw a used copy of the game once years ago (the last time I saw it), and it was $40. A bit much for me for this game.
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Abit of advice if the grids ect bother you: download it off the PS Network because all them little glitches and niggles aren't with it.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

The PSN version is the one I was playing.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

If you had the actual game disc and then used Smoothing, it'd look better. I had the same issue with a PSOne game I'm playing now on the PS3; when I first put it into the system and saw what it looked like I was like, "WTF?" but with smoothing it looks like I'm playing it on a PSX/PS2.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Eric-3 wrote:The PSN version is the one I was playing.
Don't know what to tell you, mate... I played the PSN version just last Wednesday and it works perfect. lol
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
his_fate
Just Passing Through

Post by his_fate »

Just a thought - could this be more to do with the TV. I noticed you said your were using an SD TV. Just wonder how you are connecting that to the PS3. Maybe see what happens with a HD TV via HDMI ?
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

Bishop Sasarai wrote:If you had the actual game disc and then used Smoothing, it'd look better. I had the same issue with a PSOne game I'm playing now on the PS3; when I first put it into the system and saw what it looked like I was like, "WTF?" but with smoothing it looks like I'm playing it on a PSX/PS2.
I haven't noticed anything odd with the visuals of the other PSOne Classics I have (so I never needed to try Smoothing with them), so I figured it was this specific game.
his_fate wrote:Just a thought - could this be more to do with the TV. I noticed you said your were using an SD TV. Just wonder how you are connecting that to the PS3. Maybe see what happens with a HD TV via HDMI ?
I think it's called composite cables. The red, yellow, and white connectors. Maybe I will try it on an HD TV sometime, though I don't know when I'll be able to. Thanks for the suggestion.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Eric-3 wrote:
Bishop Sasarai wrote:If you had the actual game disc and then used Smoothing, it'd look better. I had the same issue with a PSOne game I'm playing now on the PS3; when I first put it into the system and saw what it looked like I was like, "WTF?" but with smoothing it looks like I'm playing it on a PSX/PS2.
I haven't noticed anything odd with the visuals of the other PSOne Classics I have (so I never needed to try Smoothing with them), so I figured it was this specific game.
his_fate wrote:Just a thought - could this be more to do with the TV. I noticed you said your were using an SD TV. Just wonder how you are connecting that to the PS3. Maybe see what happens with a HD TV via HDMI ?
I think it's called composite cables. The red, yellow, and white connectors. Maybe I will try it on an HD TV sometime, though I don't know when I'll be able to. Thanks for the suggestion.
Eww. Composite video. If you have S-Video jacks on the TV (and PS3, I don't recall if it has them) then that is your best bet for SD TV. Component cables if the connections are available are next best, and then HDMI for all the rest.
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

I don't think this TV has anything but composite.
I've heard people complain about PSOne Classics on an HD TV. Is it still better than an SD TV and some people are just using wrong settings for it? I just figured old games would look better on the TVs that they were made for (well, as in the TVs that were common at the time), but then I see that they look better on an emulator and HD monitor.
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

My favorite way to play Silent Hill is with a PSone on an SDTV. That effect is a part of the game, but the PSone had graphics hardware to mitigate it. When playing under these circumstances, you will see the viewable area taper out quite smoothly into the fog in the distance.

If you're playing on any version of the PS3, on an SDTV or an HDTV, you will see a much more pronounced version of this artifact because both hardware and software emulation on the PS3 don’t map the image in the same way the native hardware does. As someone mentioned above, you can enable the smoothing feature to help composite over it, which helps, but it's most certaily still there. Same goes for the PSP, but the screen's smaller size works in its favor.

Patience is the darkest side of power.