What does Dahlia mean?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

dan
Just Passing Through

What does Dahlia mean?

Post by dan »

In the boat cutscene Dahlia says :
I knew this day would come... and the task is almost finished. There are only two left...
What does she mean?
I want to read your interpretation.
Och
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Re: What does Dahlia mean?

Post by alone in the town »

There are only two places left for Alessa to apply the Virun VII crest: the lighthouse and the amusement park.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

There are only two left--two outsiders left to take care of!

(Don't take that as fact or anything, though--I'm kind of a crackpot)
asphodel13
Just Passing Through

Post by asphodel13 »

oh... i thought you were going to ask about when she's at the church and starts blurting out wierd gibberish like "the path of the hermit" (which is a tarot reference maybe?) or "giromancy". because all that makes much less sense.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^She says "Gyromancy." Gyromancy is actually a thing--as Wikipedia explains it, it's "a method of divination in which a person spins around inside or walks the circumference of a circle drawn on the ground, the perimeter of which is marked with the letters of an alphabet. The divination is inferred from the letter at the position where the person either stumbles or falls across the circle’s edge. The person would repeat the practice "...till he evolved an intelligible sentence, or till death or madness intervened." The dizziness brought on by spinning or circling is intended to introduce randomness or to facilitate an altered state of consciousness."

It's derived from the greek words for "circle" and "oracle."
dan
Just Passing Through

Post by dan »

So whats supposed to happen if Alessa apply the Virun VII crest in the remaining two places?
Och
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The entire Otherworld collapses into nothingness and everyone in it dies. It's the only way she can commit suicide.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Or, alternatively, it's how she negates the magical influences of her mother and The Demon, and once completed, she can wake up from her magically induced bad-acid-trip-nightmare experience and abort her demonic spawn.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

...No, it's the first one. That's why she's putting them all over town.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The official explanation is Alessa would seal the town into the abyss, annihilating the Otherworld and everyone in it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Huh. I didn't know that.

♪ The More You Know ♪
EnlighteningDarkness
Just Passing Through

Post by EnlighteningDarkness »

I know I'm a bit late but:

Is the Virun VII crest applied by Alessa or by Cheryl? Can Alessa move in her otherworld or is she just as crippled as she is in reality?
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

EnlighteningDarkness wrote:I know I'm a bit late but:

Is the Virun VII crest applied by Alessa or by Cheryl? Can Alessa move in her otherworld or is she just as crippled as she is in reality?
According to the Complete Guide it was both, Alessa reunited with Cheryl shortly after her arrival in Silent Hill and thus became able to move around in a healed state of her momentary 14 year old body:
Q: When did Cheryl and Alessa unite?

A: During the early stages of the story.

Although the exact moment isn't specified, there's no mistaking that it was during the story's early stages. Cheryl's disappearance into the alleyway during the opening came about because Alessa's nightmare had encroached into Harry's dream; that development is not specifically related to Cheryl's fusion with Alessa. Additionally, the game features both a grown-up form of Alessa as well as a child form. One of these is her appearance at her actual age, while the other is a "phantom" from seven years ago. By merging with Cheryl, Alessa (at her actual age) was reborn from her severe burns, broke the spell that Dahlia and the cult's priests had used to bind her, and took action. After uniting, Alessa had acquired psychic powers such as teleportation-powers that she had always possessed. If she had been living under normal circumstances, these powers would almost never manifest themselves. Alessa naturally possessed a certain amount of spiritual intuition and at that point in time her "sixth sense" was powerful enough that she was having premonitions, but these were more like hunches than supernatural powers. Her mother Dahlia may have performed magic and the like, but this does not mean she had special powers.
Could it be that having the malevolent deity dwelling within her body and uniting with Cheryl were what led Alessa to acquire supernatural powers?
It was then that she teleported all over the town and started drawing the marks.
At the moment Cheryl and Alessa united, she gained the power to escape from the cult's spell; at the same time, the technique that brought about the descent of the cult's god succeeded and the malevolent deity resumed its maturation process. This time, Alessa was engaged in a struggle, a race between the malevolent god's maturation and the seal's completion. If the seal were to be
completed, Harry, Cybil, Dahlia and the others would all be annihilated along with Alessa. However, as it is questionable whether the Seal of Metatron actually has this sort of power, there is also the possibility that Alessa, using knowledge she acquired when she was very young, freed herself from
the effects of the malevolent god's power through autosuggestion and was attempting to realize her own death. Because Dahlia was at least aware of the fact that Alessa had the will to end her own life, she prepared for the worst-case scenario and took steps to prevent this from happening. She used
Harry for that very purpose.

Alessa was creating the Seal of Metatron at the school, hospital, antique shop, lighthouse, and amusement park. Draw lines connecting these seals and their placement creates an enormous Mark of Samael throughout the town. The seal may also have been created in other places as well.
EnlighteningDarkness
Just Passing Through

Post by EnlighteningDarkness »

Thanks, I didn't know that before.