Day to Night

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Day to Night

Post by Tillerman »

The Adversary wrote:Just because Pink Floyd didn't deliberately sync the album with the film doesn't mean the legend of it ceases to exist. Therefore, the developers have every reason to make a reference to it.
Oh... I forgot those keys are called lion, woodman and scarecrow. Yeah, I guess that is a connection.
lain of the wired wrote:They would probably be/have been sued by MGM or something if they admitted to it. Seriously, watch it sometime and you'll see. BTNTP...
Naw, I don't see how they could be sued for something like that. It's probably just one of those coincidental things, people are wired to look for patterns where none exist. I'll bet you can take a piece of music and sync it up to any movie and see connections, if you really want to.
HELLS HOLE CREEK
Just Passing Through

Post by HELLS HOLE CREEK »

:lol: :lol: Like try sync the zumba soundtrack with flashdance film or something.. I have not tried it but Im sure some tool will..
I found this creek a quiet place... away from the rat race somewhere i can be me... as i stared into that calmness
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Tillerman wrote:Naw, I don't see how they could be sued for something like that. It's probably just one of those coincidental things, people are wired to look for patterns where none exist.
I know we do. It's why we see faces in chairs. Look, instead of just naysaying, try it, then you can question it while fully informed.
I'll bet you can take a piece of music and sync it up to any movie and see connections, if you really want to.
The whole album syncs with the movie without any cuts, pauses or stops. Y'don't see that with any movie and any full-length album. That's different from just "a" piece of music. Otherwise, people wouldn't make as big a deal out of the syncing of Oz and DSotM.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

*shrug* I've heard people say that it synchs really well, and I've heard people say that the connection is heavily exaggerated. Maybe I'll try it sometime...
HELLS HOLE CREEK
Just Passing Through

Post by HELLS HOLE CREEK »

I would rather be tortured than have to watch that movie again
I found this creek a quiet place... away from the rat race somewhere i can be me... as i stared into that calmness
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Would you mind contributing once in a while as opposed to just offering banal comments, please?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

So yeah, to bring this topic back on track... I'm pretty sure that when it turns to night in Silent Hill, it means something entirely different than when it turns to night in Wizard of Oz. I think that when things get dark in the Wizard of Oz, that's probably symbolic of the witch being really mean. Just sayin'.
lain of the wired

...Day turned to night in the Wizard of Oz? You've never actually watched that movie, have you?
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Sure... be snarky about the accuracy of details in my stupid joke.

Have you watched it? Check this scene out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjBrkfX_ ... re=related

Looks pretty dark, doesn't it?
lain of the wired

Dude, when I was little, I loved that movie so much I made everyone I met call me "Dorothy."

It doesn't "turn" dark. Evil place is evil place is dark when they got there.

If you're wrong, that's allowed, you know. You don't have to backtrack and call it "a joke."
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

How'd you know I was being deadly serious about the darkness being symbolic of the witch being really mean? I was worried people might think that was a joke...! Good thing you're so perceptive.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Sarcasm doesn't work on the internet.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I love this kind of shift in the first game. I remember playing it the firs time as a nine year old saying something like "Oh my God...." and pausing the game to think about if I wanted to keep playing or to go hide underneath my covers. (Consequently, I ended up hiding under my covers while playing the game!)

The developers were very aware of the stages of sleep, I believe, because as you progress in the game, you're like tripping deeper and deeper into "a world of someone's nightmarish delusions come to life..." which is always a fun and expressive concept for games and any form of entertainment, from songs to feature length movies.

Also, could someone maybe tell me how I can exactly sync the Wizard of Oz with the Pink Floyd album? Do I just like listen to it while watching the film simultaneously, with the film's sound off, or what? Tried to piece together what exactly to do from other posts in this thread, but it's still kinda unclear to me. I've never heard of this kind of activity before, and I find it very interesting, so I'm wanting to try it some time. Thanks, if anyone can help my confused bum.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3707631450#

"Balanced on the biggest wave, you race toward an early grave." Watch it happen.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
lain of the wired

^THANK YOU. The ones I found on youtube were so heavily edited it was ridiculous.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I know, old post is old, but this was nagging me. Apologies, banana slug, I'm not trying to single you out but I do need to comment on what was said before moving forward with my take here.

Also, just for reference, I'm used to referring to the darker, grimier, more dangerous part of the Otherworld as 'darkworld' but if there is a more accurate term just let me know.
untamedbananaslug wrote:You only 'think' it has become dark. It is more likely that the darkness is due to technical limitations (much like the fog, which only exists so a large draw distance isn't required)

This doesn't make sense given the context.

If it weren't significant, it wouldn't have become dark at all and would have just stayed the fog whenever not darkworld but this isn't the case. There are quite a few instances where it shifts between day, night, and darkworld in a cycle and this is the second time in the game it has happened. The first time was in Harry's initial dream where both times there is a short scene to show the shift.

That said, yes, they put the fog there so you wouldn't see buildings and objects 'form' in the distance but it's shown in cutscenes to legitimately be foggy so that became a part of the plot and setting even if it wasn't directly mentioned in dialog.
since Harry and the official game guide doesn't comment on the transition. If the developers intended for the transition to be significant to the plot, they would have had Harry (or even better, an impartial observer, since Harry is an unreliable protagonist) go "Gee, it's gotten dark all of a sudden. Just a moment it was as bright as day, now it is dark".
Funny you should mentioned that, because he does comment. Both times there's a cutscene for it, in fact.

The first time, in the alleyway, he pulls out a flare in reaction to the sudden darkness. He even says "That's strange. It's getting darker."

The second time he says "What? It's getting dark again?"

So, wouldn't you know it, it does have a purpose. Just as well, the game guide is a walkthrough and the night time doesn't affect gameplay so, while I don't have the guide to verify, it seems to me like something they wouldn't mention especially when the game takes note of it on its own.
Seriously though. Doesn't he go through a door which requires the Key of Eclipse? Stuff gets dark during an Eclipse, and maybe the developers are trying to compare the nature of Cheryl/Alessa to an eclipse. I dunno though, I've never thought of it before, and I don't have the time atm to contemplate this. Just throwing a thought out there.
It seems a little strange to make a post when not fully contemplating the significance of the subject matter. Just saying.

You still might be onto something with the whole eclipse thing but that theory does contradict your previous statement of it not having any purpose.

Anyway, I'm sort of inclined to agree on certain levels.

We have Cheryl and Alessa, one who is happy with her life and loves her family, and the other who is sad, angry and tortured by the mother she desperately wants love from. Cheryl could, in effect, be the 'dream' portion of Alessa's nightmare; the day and snow where not all things are bad (but there are still monsters because it cannot be a perfect utopia) and when it turns to night it is a change over, an eclipse if you will, of the dream and Cheryl as Alessa's pain takes over and eventually brings the darkworld out.

It would all have to be symbolic, rather than directly referencing Cheryl or Alessa being 'dominant' because, unless I'm mistaken, once Cheryl was in Silent Hill proper she and Alessa merged.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Kaede
Just Passing Through

Post by Kaede »

The otherworld exists long after Alessa is dead. It has nothing to do with her/Cheryl.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Kaede wrote:The otherworld exists long after Alessa is dead. It has nothing to do with her/Cheryl.
It only exists as we know it through the games from then on because of Alessa/Cheryl, not that it is directly dependent on Alessa to exist at all. It was around, to a degree, long before Alessa was even born and it's around after she dies/is reborn. She just changed it to how we currently view it in each game.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I not only believe that the Otherworld exists after Alessa, but before as well. I also believe that SH1 is the only game where the Otherworld is Alessa's. in Origins it's Travis's, in 2 it's James's, and in 3 it's harder to say. Vincent says that it's Claudia's, the timing of the transitions indicate that it's God, and the hospital scenery seems to indicate Alessa, but that could still mean God as perhaps God's perception of things, including the Otherworld, was altered from being inside Alessa's womb. Like mommy like God I suppose.

So anyway I agree with Kaede. Alessa's time with the Otherworld was not such a huge freaking important event that it created the Otherworld or that it continues to shape the Otherworld. It was an attempt at resurrecting the cult's God. A FAILED attempt. Which has happened at least FOUR TIMES.

As for sarcasm not working on the internet, I usually understand it. Honestly, sarcasm for me is usually more about the words used then tone of voice. I think most people's brains just switch to anger and conflict faster than understanding. I'm glad I'm not like that.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I've always been of the school of thought which has the Otherworld existing before Alessa came along, mostly because what we learn about it throughout the series makes such a belief intuitive. Even when you factor in its duality, we see James having it shift in response to specific events he doesn't consciously control, whereas Alessa makes it happen herself in the first game. The Otherworld, to me, is a mental playground wherein anyone can shape reality to fit their own specifics (regardless of whether or not they have the ability to direct this shaping). The idea that Alessa is somehow responsible for its existence doesn't sit well with me.

Also, there's no need to apologize to bananaslug. He was undoubtedly one of the worst members this place ever had.