Alessa: good or evil [spoilers for SH1 and SH3]

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Re: Alessa: good or evil [spoilers for SH1 and SH3]

Post by Zeraylph »

The Adversary wrote:Topic #64
Whoa thanks for the timelime.
After reading it, a lot of effort that person or those people went through to find that info.

So Harry's wife is named Jodie. :shock:
Alessa was born in 1968, so during the time years later, 1975 - 1982 were the suffering time, then SH 1 events.
Nice info :D
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I made it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Yeah, Tom has a lot of knowledge when it comes to Silent Hill, esp. the history. :)
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote: @Soulless: I think someone would be more angry over time, honestly. The fact that she went seven years of suffering by the time of Silent Hill 1, instead of then it would have been maybe a few hours or a day, would make me believe that if she were going to be cruel it would be during SH1.
I didn't say she was angry. Despite having the frame of mind to get Travis to help her, she probably was in a little shock after being burned alive by her own mother.
Aerith Gainsborough

Shock doesn't lead people to act sinister, or atleast give off the aura of sinister. Most people who are shocked are...well, shocked? They're kind of...shocked.
Magnolia
Just Passing Through

Post by Magnolia »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:There ya go. That answers the age and stuff.
@Soulless: I think someone would be more angry over time, honestly. The fact that she went seven years of suffering by the time of Silent Hill 1, instead of then it would have been maybe a few hours or a day, would make me believe that if she were going to be cruel it would be during SH1.
I perceive her actions in SH1 as cruel. :lol:
Image Image
Zeraylph
Just Passing Through

Post by Zeraylph »

The Adversary wrote:I made it.
:D wow your amazing imo.

@ Magnolia
LOL!
I have to admit what she did to Harry was kinda mean, using telekinesis tp floor that guy, and hit him in the face with a force field
The same can be said for Laura and stepping on James hand.
Jirachi!!!! Make a Wish!
Aerith Gainsborough

@Magnolia: I didn't think she was the least bit cruel in SH1. Like I said before, she, atleast Cheryl, anyway, appeared like a harmless little puppy.
CreEPy pAYPhonE
Just Passing Through

Post by CreEPy pAYPhonE »

Good and evil are such relative terms, are they not?
I geuss I would be inclined to say that she is neutral. . . .The only problem with that is that I don't believe in moral neutrallity (Is that how you spell that word. . . .Is it even a word) so I, sadly, cannot fall back on such an answer.
Soooooo, I'd have to say she's good. I mean sure, she tricked Travis and got the entire Alchimilla hospital staff sucked into the otherworld. . . . But she was just doing what she felt was needed to be done and while I certainly don't believe in the whole "the ends justify the means" mantra, you have to keep in mind that she was just a child who has been horribly cursed (and as for the murder of the whole hospital staff? That was an accident. . . .Or at least I like to think so).
asdf'
Just Passing Through

Post by asdf' »

I know this is kinda of an old thread but I wanted to put my thoughts on this
to be honest if it wasn't for (sho,and the movie)I'm pretty sure nobody would think alessa was evil

Sh1 I never got the idea that alessa was evil maybe others thought That because dalia lies,but even then i never get the impression she was.

Even in sh3 there's a memo found in the amusement park (after the snow white/and Cinderella puzzle) go to the stand and find a note written by harry (a guy who knows as much as you do in sh1)and even he says it after being told by the lies by daliah he also didn't see anything evil about alessa but saw her as if she wanted to help someone.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I totally forgot this thread existed. Dayum.
asdf' wrote: if it wasn't for (sho,and the movie)I'm pretty sure nobody would think alessa was evil
I can understand someone who had played the game forever ago thinking that she may have been evil. Like if they only had a vague memory of all these weird symbols and monsters manifesting. I'm sure Origins and the movie didn't help matters, but it's not a stretch to think that someone not paying attention could come to that conclusion imo.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
asdf'
Just Passing Through

Post by asdf' »

SilentWren wrote:I totally forgot this thread existed. Dayum.

I can understand someone who had played the game forever ago thinking that she may have been evil. Like if they only had a vague memory of all these weird symbols and monsters mnifesting. I'm sure Origins and the movie didn't help matters, but it's not a stretch to think that someone not paying attention could come to that conclusion imo.
I agree i can see someone who was not paying attention can come to that conclusion that she evil.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I still don't quite understand why people thought she was 'good'. Just because she opposes someone who certainly is not?

The first game itself should indicate to the player that she is unconcerned with anybody else's well-being, when she did absolutely nothing to aid Harry. So should the third, in which she appears unable to understand why Heather might not want to die. Meaning, her behavior in Origins (using Travis for her own ends with no regard for his well-being) should not have surprised anybody who paid attention.

It's not really a matter of whether Alessa is good or evil. Alessa serves her own ends. She's not evil, but she's not a good guy, either. She's trying to stop the birth of God to put an end to her own existence. Saving humanity is, at best, a consequence she seems to not care much about. What is it to her what happens to anybody else?

By what we see, I'd say she's amoral. Which would be no surprise given her upbringing. Certainly, Alessa is a tragic figure, and she has perfectly good reasons to not care about other people, but these do not make her 'good'.

I'd have to say that the mistake Origins makes in her characterization is not making her out to be an amoral manipulator, since this fits perfectly with the character we already know, but the fact that she falls into that role so fast after being crisped. It simply is not the sort of behavior you'd expect a seven year old to exhibit, especially right after her personal tragedy happens. It portrays the whole process of using the Flauros and the splitting of the soul to be a Xanatos Gambit, whereas before it seemed like an extreme act motivated by desperation and terror.
asdf'
Just Passing Through

Post by asdf' »

1.why would she aid harry? And I pretty sure she didn't know harry was around either and also she was running out of time what else is she suppose to do wait?
Also just cause alessa doesn't aid Harry make her bad(plus his intention were to save his daughter not the world that was a plus)she didn't know what he was gonna do.she was trying to stop the birthing of god and the end of the world,she knew what needs to be done even if it means her life will end.

Origin contradics Alessa behavior from wanting revenge to killing herself to stop the birth of god,because that makes a lot sense.:?:

She trying to stop god so the world doesn't end and by killing herself it will end even in sh3(douglas points the gun at Heather and ask'what are you doing'douglas says maybe this is the only way to end it.were do people get the idea that she selfish and just wants to die?

Also why would dahaila and the cult burn alessa that would kill the god inside of alessa and mess up there plans why would they do a impregnation ritual and a buring rital at the same that don't sound like a good idea.I'm pretty sure the fire was an accident not on purpose,none of the games would leave you to believe she was burn on purpose
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

asdf' wrote:1.why would she aid harry? And I pretty sure she didn't know harry was around either and also she was running out of time what else is she suppose to do wait?
Why wouldn't she help him? Or attempt to enlist his aid? If for no reason other than to prevent Dahlia from using him against her?
Also just cause alessa doesn't aid Harry make her bad
Never said she was bad.
she didn't know what he was gonna do.she was trying to stop the birthing of god and the end of the world,she knew what needs to be done even if it means her life will end.
Proof that her intention is to save the world?
Origin contradics Alessa behavior from wanting revenge to killing herself to stop the birth of god,because that makes a lot sense.:?:
More than whatever you just said?
She trying to stop god so the world doesn't end and by killing herself it will end even in sh3(douglas points the gun at Heather and ask'what are you doing'douglas says maybe this is the only way to end it.were do people get the idea that she selfish and just wants to die?
From paying attention to the games, in which she talks about destroying herself and never talks about saving the world.
Also why would dahaila and the cult burn alessa that would kill the god inside of alessa and mess up there plans why would they do a impregnation ritual and a buring rital at the same that don't sound like a good idea.I'm pretty sure the fire was an accident not on purpose,none of the games would leave you to believe she was burn on purpose
I guess not. Except for the fact that Dahlia and Kaufmann have clearly pre-arranged using a huge secret part of Alchemilla hospital to clandestinely store Alessa long term, which would seem utterly pointless unless they knew she was going to be physically incapacitated before it happened.

Or, yeah, it could have been an accident and what I described was just ridiculously fortunate coincidence and bad storytelling.
Aerith Gainsborough

Alessa is mainly neutral. She honestly was out to end her suffering rather than focus on Harry's needs. He was a tool for her, but she was grateful for his service afterwards.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

She's seven. She's not even old enough to HAVE an alignment in D&D.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
asdf'
Just Passing Through

Post by asdf' »

@ Ryantology, like I said she had no time plus was she wasn't aware of Harry presence at the time.

Um silent hill one and the memo in sh3

How does a little girl go from wanting revenge(sho)to trying to kill herself to stop the birthing of god(sh1)that seems very unlikely.(I'm just saying)

She wants to destroy herself in order to stop the nightmare from spreading and god
Birthing,she doesn't say exactly'I need to save the world'but she knows what happens if the if the ritual is successful so in other words she is putting a stop to it

Were did you read that? That they planed all of that they planed for six houses to burn and alessa burned into a crisp,yet alessa in sh1 is shown with burns and bandage not burned into a crisp.(I'm just saying)

@Aerith,Also Harry wasn't a tool for alessa,he was a tool for daliha.
Last edited by asdf' on 09 Oct 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

Am I going to have to be the one (as usual) to point out this user's spamming shtick form SHC and the obscenely obvious spamming on this forum? This isn't being done for debating. It's being done for reactions.
asdf'
Just Passing Through

Post by asdf' »

I'm not spamming I'm just putting my opinion on it and this is a debate I don't see the problem.I'm not in a heated arguement with anyone.and Wats shitck?
Last edited by asdf' on 09 Oct 2012, edited 3 times in total.