Why the hell would I know?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

AlessaChevalier
Just Passing Through

Why the hell would I know?

Post by AlessaChevalier »

Well I asked this in another topic but got no answer so I'll just copy, paste, and edit here.

Cybil asks Harry in the cafe what is going on in a way she thinks he really would, even though on the way to Silent Hill Cybil passes Harry on the road. Harry's jeep seems to have crashed directly next to the exit of the entrance tunnel to the town meaning Cybil should know that Harry just got into town so why would she expect him to know anything? It's sounds more likely she would ask that to someone she found unconscious actually in the town, like in the alley or someplace else. And Cybil just crashed her bike and woke up in the foggy world so wouldn't you think someone else in a crashed car that she just saw on the road be in the same boat that she's in?

And there was something else about why she was dragged into the Otherworld before Harry but, yeah ^^^
When I become the voice of reason, you know reason is in deep $%*#ing trouble.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

We don't know where Cybil found Harry.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Cybil found Harry in his jeep, unconscious. Clearly, then, Cybil has been in Silent Hill for awhile, enough to look around and attempt unsuccessfully to contact Brahms.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

And she dragged him all the way to Cafe 5to2, despite the fact that 8 was clearly open?

Yeah, right.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Harry's unconsciousness is a fact. He wasn't magically teleported into Café 5 to 2, and Cybil's already there, waiting for him. If she had found him there, she would've attempted to wake him up, and not walked casually toward him when he does.

No, he's been there for awhile, and Cybil has been waiting for him.

I'm gonna go ahead and pull the Occam's razor card here.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Harry's unconsciousness is a fact. He wasn't magically teleported into Café 5 to 2, and Cybil's already there, waiting for him. If she had found him there, she would've attempted to wake him up, and not walked casually toward him when he does.
Excuse me? Can you prove that? It's not like Harry isn't magically teleported multiple times. Cybil might have just recently found him, and waited for him to awaken. It's not that unusual.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>It's not like Harry isn't magically teleported multiple times.
Multiple times? Try once, when he passes into a dream in the "other church" and speaks w/ Lisa—during the dream.

Silent Hill Guidebook Complete Edition writes, "Cheryl's disappearance into the alleyway during the opening came about because Alessa's nightmare had encroached into Harry's dream."

So, yeah: He's dreaming. This is reflected, also, in the bad ending.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
alone in the town

I have to agree. Fit as she looks, Cybil would have had a terrific time dragging Harry's limp body several hundred feet considering that he likely outweighs her, and little reason to do this as long as she did as there were other places closer by that would have served just fine. Furthermore, Harry wasn't seriously injured in the wreck, but Cybil isn't likely to assume this without him being able to verify. To drag a potentially injured person that far, to be sure, wouldn't make sense unless something worse potentially threatened his life, and Cybil doesn't seem to see the monsters.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

The first thing Cybil says to Harry, though, is "How are you feeling?" Seems like a strange thing to ask if you just stumbled upon a sleeping guy in the Cafe. Which is why it appears to me that she saw he crashed his car, and dragged him to the Cafe.

We don't know for sure that Cybil can't see the monsters. She might be able to, and realized that they were both sitting ducks outside.

It's certainly possible for Cybil to drag Harry that far. It's only about a block. She's a cop, she's trained in the Police Academy to have stamina and strength.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

We don't know for sure that Cybil can't see the monsters. She might be able to, and realized that they were both sitting ducks outside.
Then why does she tell Harry he needs to rest or lie down whenever he mentions monsters and darkness and stuff?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

She tells him to lie down whenever he mentions the Otherworld, not necessarily monsters.
nicole84
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by nicole84 »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Then why does she tell Harry he needs to rest or lie down whenever he mentions monsters and darkness and stuff?
Isn't she the one who gave him the gun? What for, if not for the monsters? Of course she sees them.
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

nicole84 wrote:
Isn't she the one who gave him the gun? What for, if not for the monsters? Of course she sees them.
Not only that, but "wait! Where do you think you're going?"
"My daughter, I've got to find her."
"No way... it's dangerous out there..."
*Harry mentions something about finding her sooner, but I can't exactly remember what he says*
"...Have you a got a gun?"
"...No."
And then Cybil tells him to know who he's shooting...

I doubt she means the druglords of Silent Hill. :P

She's definately seen enough to spook her into giving Harry a very dangerous weapon.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

She tells him to lie down whenever he mentions the Otherworld, not necessarily monsters.
If she's seen the monsters, the Otherworld shouldn't be such a big deal.
Well, there's the Black Queen's Pawn theory, but disregarding that, her behavior makes no sense either way to where it's nearly a plot hole. A cop in a life-or-death situation like that would never hand over their only weapon and then let the guy go to fend for himself. If anything, she'd of made Harry tag a long with her and protecting him.
She's definately seen enough to spook her into giving Harry a very dangerous weapon.
There's plenty to make it dangerous besides the monsters. The fog plus random pitfalls in the ground, everyone being missing...even if she didn't see monsters, something is obviously going down.
Reno
Just Passing Through

Post by Reno »

I've already made a counterpoint about how it's actually decently logical(if irresponsible) to give him her gun(i think it was in the pawn thread).

Again, unless circumstances were extreme(ie, freakish monster-things) she wouldn't give harry her gun for holes in the road and lots of fog; nor would she go *back* to the police station to procure a new pistol somewhere between last talking to Harry and seeing him again in the antique shop.

While it's irresponsible for her to let him galavant off to save his daughter, she probably is looking at it like "I need to find out what's going on, I can't spend time holding someone's hand who'll probably run off on me anyways"
Since it'd be fairly obvious Cybil would have better training and survival skills as a cop, I could see her making the judgement call that he would need protection a lot worse than she does.

As for otherworld not being such a big deal, look at it this way. We've all seen pictures of weird creatures off the internet, right?
It'd be very worrying to run across one in real life, and if there were a lot of them, you'd wonder what the crap was going on, but there's probably a logical explination out there for what they are, and where they came from.

Then you're walking down the street, and the very construction of the world itself changes before your eyes. Wood turns into metal, walls to crainlink fence, and it's somehow suspended over an oblivion of darkness.

Seems to make a lot of sense that she wouldn't beleive Harry anout that aspect when all she's witnessed so far is foggy silent hill + monsters.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

I'm leaning toward the idea that Cybil saw monsters more if only because Harry's not the only one to see monsters. Kaufmann also saw the monsters and there really isn't a connection between the two that would exclude Cybil in any way. In fact, from a character point-of-view, Harry and Cybil share more in common than would Harry and Kaufmann as Harry and Cybil are both outsiders.

As far as the gun scene goes, no, that doesn't imply that Cybil sees monsters as well. I don't think the fog or the holes in the road would worry Cybil, but it's reasonable to assume that some unknown force may have abducted all the residents. So, even if you assume that Cybil didn't see any monsters, it's not all that unreasonable that Cybil would believe Harry would need it.

Speaking of which, the reason that Cybil asks Harry about the situation is because she thinks that he may be a resident of the town to which Harry promptly clarifies that he is not. If you remember, Harry pretty much reacts the same way toward Lisa thinking that she might know something because she's a resident, and clearly disappointed when she tells him that she does not.

So, the answer to the original question is that Cybil thought Harry might know because she thought he was one of the few remaining resident.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm leaning toward the idea that Cybil saw monsters more if only because Harry's not the only one to see monsters. Kaufmann also saw the monsters and there really isn't a connection between the two that would exclude Cybil in any way. In fact, from a character point-of-view, Harry and Cybil share more in common than would Harry and Kaufmann as Harry and Cybil are both outsiders.
Not necessarily true. The point works if you're viewing them from THEIR point of view, but the monsters are Alessa's. Assuming that Cybil doesn't see monsters, this could be because Alessa isn't aware of her or has nothing against her, while Alessa has personal reasons to sic monsters on both Harry and Kauffman.
Speaking of which, the reason that Cybil asks Harry about the situation is because she thinks that he may be a resident of the town to which Harry promptly clarifies that he is not. If you remember, Harry pretty much reacts the same way toward Lisa thinking that she might know something because she's a resident, and clearly disappointed when she tells him that she does not.

So, the answer to the original question is that Cybil thought Harry might know because she thought he was one of the few remaining resident.
Which makes the scenario of Cybil finding Harry in his jeep highly unlikely.
alone in the town

It's my view that if Cybil has seen monsters, it hasn't happened prior to their first encounter. For starters, those monsters are well outside the realm of what a normal person should experience. If she'd seen monsters, she would have said "dag yo, there be motherfucking monsters and shit" instead of issuing Harry a vague warning about unnamed dangers. Why would she neglect to mention flying demons and skinless dog monsters if she'd seen them? That makes no sense at all. Further, if she knew what the dangers were, there's no way she'd give up her sidearm to a civilian. To do so would endanger both of them. Further still, she is concerned about the town's impromptu isolation and the absence of people. No mention of hellspawn and monsters, only of getting help from Brahms. That she never speaks of monsters in the cafe is either a tremendously stupid oversight or proof that she hasn't seen any up to that point.

My view is that Cybil is unaware of the monsters. She has no idea what's going on in Silent Hill. She is certainly aware of the potential for danger but she does not seem to know the nature of this danger, most likely assuming (as one would if one approached the situation logically) that the threat would be something fundamentally rooted in the reality she has always known. For that matter, I don't recall Cybil ever making an overt comment about monsters.

My view further on how Harry and Cybil cross paths is that Harry wrecks his Jeep, wakes up briefly, still stunned by the impact but noticing Cheryl is missing. He stumbles toward the terrible alley of doom, but due to his hurts collapses while en route. Unconscious, he dreams the remainder of the experience. This would explain how the alleyway massacre doesn't actually occur, and also how Cybil can have encountered him within reasonably close proximity to the cafe while remaining ignorant of the fact that he was in a car accident and the potentially serious injuries that might result from such an accident, which would make a responsible cop not very willing to move him while he's unconscious. It explains why she'd ask if he's okay.

Score one for The Razor.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>A cop in a life-or-death situation like that would never hand over their only weapon
Only weapon? Just b/c we only see one weapon appear magically from behind her back doesn't mean she has only one. Remember: In the final sequence, Cybil has another gun. In conclusion: She has more than one weapon.

>Score one for The Razor.
Only yr score is for an overly complicated scenario.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Reno
Just Passing Through

Post by Reno »

Honestly, it seems a LOT simpler(lol razor) for her to figure 'well I have my own crap to do, lets just hope this idiot doesn't get himself offed in the meantime. Might as well give him some method to protect himself as i know where to get another gun/have another gun anyways.'

The 'stumbles around and passes out' scenario would suffice, yes, but it doesn't work with the razor on the premise that it makes a lot more sense he was passed out in his jeep, she found him and hauled him to the cafe.

Also, Cybil finding harry in his jeep doesn't really make the 'he might be a resident' idea invalid. If she DOES see monsters, it seems fair that she would figure he crashed beacuse of them, hence why she would merely remind Harry that it's dangerous(getting smashed in the head kinda messes up your thought process, after all) without being all 'omfg there r monsturs out thar!'