The Bodies In Silent Hill

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

Alessa is refusing to "lend [Dahlia] a teensy bit of [Alessa's] power." Dahlia wants Alessa to kill more people for her.
Killing people for Dahlia doesn't seem like lending any power at all. The power is all still Alessa's.
Uh . . . b/c Dahlia's not the leader of the organization and does whatever the fuck she wants, regardless of what the rest of the congregation anticipates.
That's not answering my question, though. If The Order has impregnated women before and failed, why is Alessa's case any different? Why would Dahlia randomly decide to blow off The Order on this one occasion and do things her way? If the Sect of the Holy Woman wants to see God reborn, wouldn't they have supported Dahlia in trying to birth it from Alessa by any means necessary? Don't they all have a stake in this? It seems that that's the main point of the Sect's existence.
Irrelevant. Vincent is specifically talking about how fucking bananas Dahlia is, and how the congregation views her.
It's perfectly relevant. He doesn't like The Order anymore, and therefore, he despises everyone in it, especially members of influence like Claudia and Dahlia. And he's speaking in terms of how he views her, he doesn't say the congregation thinks Dahlia is crazy.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Killing people for Dahlia doesn't seem like lending any power at all. The power is all still Alessa's.
Dahlia uses Alessa's power vicariously. She demands her daughter kill someone, Alessa does. The anti-drug mayor that died mysteriously? Alessa did that. Officer Gucci's mysterious heart attack? Alessa, too. The other mysterious deaths around town? Yeah, Alessa.

Alessa was originally raised to be a priestess like Dahlia. Then Dahlia realized Alessa could potentially be the Holy Mother the entire time. So she "impulsively carried out the ritual." Even Lisa tells us Dahlia went crazy after Alessa's immolation—not before.

Vincent doesn't despise anyone in the Order. After all: The members are feeding him all the money he could possibly desire.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

Dahlia uses Alessa's power vicariously. She demands her daughter kill someone, Alessa does. The anti-drug mayor that died mysteriously? Alessa did that. Officer Gucci's mysterious heart attack? Alessa, too. The other mysterious deaths around town? Yeah, Alessa.
Makes sense. I like it.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's not answering my question, though. If The Order has impregnated women before and failed, why is Alessa's case any different? Why would Dahlia randomly decide to blow off The Order on this one occasion and do things her way? If the Sect of the Holy Woman wants to see God reborn, wouldn't they have supported Dahlia in trying to birth it from Alessa by any means necessary? Don't they all have a stake in this? It seems that that's the main point of the Sect's existence.
Alessa has powers the other girls didn't, and apparently Dahlia was seeking personal power, so she conducted the immolation under her own terms, possibly so she wouldn't have to "split the bill", so to speak. Then everyone got kinda pissed that she did such a thing.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

This is kind of an off-topic question, but I can't justify starting another thread just to ask it: why did God kill Dahlia? Doesn't it owe her for nurturing it? Also, why did Dahlia seem to happy to have been killed by it? I thought she wanted to control it and use it to shape Silent Hill to her liking?
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Alessa has powers the other girls didn't, and apparently Dahlia was seeking personal power, so she conducted the immolation under her own terms, possibly so she wouldn't have to "split the bill", so to speak. Then everyone got kinda pissed that she did such a thing.
Yeah, I kind of think that's more what she was thinking. If she did it herself then she wouldn't have to share the power.
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

DamienPales wrote:This is kind of an off-topic question, but I can't justify starting another thread just to ask it: why did God kill Dahlia? Doesn't it owe her for nurturing it? Also, why did Dahlia seem to happy to have been killed by it? I thought she wanted to control it and use it to shape Silent Hill to her liking?
I always thought it had to do with the fact that it was an abortive attempt, like in SH3. I'll admit this isn't really based on anything but speculation, as I've forgotten a lot of SH1 lore and facts over time, but the only time where the god kills Dahlia is when Kaufmann uses the Aglaophotis on it, right? I think that made it unstable.

Though of course there's the equal chance that the lightning bolt was just going haywire and hit her unintentionally, no conscious effort to kill required.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

I always thought it had to do with the fact that it was an abortive attempt, like in SH3. I'll admit this isn't really based on anything but speculation, as I've forgotten a lot of SH1 lore and facts over time, but the only time where the god kills Dahlia is when Kaufmann uses the Aglaophotis on it, right? I think that made it unstable.

Though of course there's the equal chance that the lightning bolt was just going haywire and hit her unintentionally, no conscious effort to kill required.
I agree that God might've been unstable, but its attacks were pretty specific. It's clearly aiming for Dahlia, and when Harry fights him afterwards, its attacks are also pretty accurate, so I doubt that the lightning is just randomly going nuts.

I don't know, that whole scene is the only thing in SH1 that I'm completely stumped about.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

DamienPales wrote:

I agree that God might've been unstable, but its attacks were pretty specific. It's clearly aiming for Dahlia, and when Harry fights him afterwards, its attacks are also pretty accurate, so I doubt that the lightning is just randomly going nuts.

I don't know, that whole scene is the only thing in SH1 that I'm completely stumped about.

I had always assumed that, being birthed from Alessa, the god carried over some of Alessa's own hatred for Dahlia. That essentially the god kills Dahlia as some form of revenge for the mistreatment of it's mother.

Or it might just be that the god they birthed was not what they had imagined it would be; that being born from such suffering had made it a malicious creation that killed indiscriminately.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

>I had always assumed that, being birthed from Alessa, the god carried over some of Alessa's own hatred for Dahlia.

Only Alessa doesn't hate her mother. She loves her and just wants to be with her. As we see in the scene in the Gillespie house just before the final battle.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

You're probably right, I never could tell what Alessa's thoughts regarding Dahlia were. That said, the scene in the house is something that occurred before Dahlia burned Alessa alive, impregnated her with a god and then used a magic spell to keep her living whilst in agony until the god could finally be born. That's the sort of thing that could change your opinion towards somebody, even your own mother.
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

This is kind of an off-topic question, but I can't justify starting another thread just to ask it: why did God kill Dahlia? Doesn't it owe her for nurturing it? Also, why did Dahlia seem to happy to have been killed by it? I thought she wanted to control it and use it to shape Silent Hill to her liking?
God's purpose was to kill everything and make a world of eternal night and death (nothingness). Dahlia's apparently of the mindset that killing everything will release everything from suffering.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Droo

Post by Droo »

No, Dahlia wasn't out to alleviate the suffering of mankind or anything quite so noble. Don't confuse her with Claudia. Dahlia wanted power. I think Dahlia had some deluded belief that she would be able to control God once manifested, likely through hopes that Alessa's feelings for her would remain and allow Dahlia to manipulate God by proxy.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Droo wrote:I think Dahlia had some deluded belief that she would be able to control God once manifested, likely through hopes that Alessa's feelings for her would remain and allow Dahlia to manipulate God by proxy.
That was the way I saw it as well.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Manipulate God to do what? Its purpose was pretty unambiguous: cleanse the world. Dahlia's maniacal laughter right before her deity strikes her dead had me pretty convinced that she considered total obliteration a win.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

JuriDawn wrote:Manipulate God to do what?
To harness it's power and use it for own ends, whatever those might have been.
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

You realize that's not really an answer, right? I'm asking for what ends could she possibly need the assistance of the Destroyer of Mankind besides destroying mankind?

The god is about as multipurpose as a nuclear warhead.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

But the god that she had intended to birth also had the power to create. This is a god that created time, that seperate light and darkness, that brought people joy where there was none. I'd call that pretty multipurpose.
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

You do remember Dahlia's extensive "The time is neigh" speech, right? She spells it all out for you. "Time to end this bitch."
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Also, the God of the Order isn't hailed as a Creator of the universe. The universe, according to their mythology, seems to have predated God's birth, and her only real actions were giving people death.