Otherworld: things look old

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

valkyre
Just Passing Through

Otherworld: things look old

Post by valkyre »

OK, work with me here. and remember, i think of number one as more real then the other ones, and that this is just a hypothesis.

Doesnt everything in the otherworld look extremely old? i imagine, that each time the otherworld is traveled to (or created?...) maybe YEARS has passed, maybe even a long time, long enough time for people to deform.....and live in this hellish dimension. THings are rusted, torn down, built again, building things simply to torture themselves and eachother.

the point is....things are old. I remember another poster mentioning that its almost dystopian future, a hellish future where pain is king.

never mind the poetics, anymore thoughts on this?

(didnt find anything in search...)
when i say "they should add something new", i dont mean "they should add something new thats retarded". thats different.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Otherworld: things look old

Post by Detective Cartland »

valkyre wrote:and remember, i think of number one as more real then the other ones,
When I read this, and looked at your avatar I swear I just started cracking up. I just can't take you serious.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
Jason_Grey
Just Passing Through

Post by Jason_Grey »

Offtopic: No offence, but your avatar is terrifying. I can take all the monsters in Silent Hill without batting an eyelash, but I had to put an image block on that thing. Seriously, when I first saw that guy on tv last year I think, I started to bawl... admitedly, I was drunk out of my soggy mind, but still...

Ontopic: It's an interesting thought, but... It doesn't seem to really 'click', ya know? If time had passed, wouldn't there be some sort of evidence memo-wise? Like, wouldn't there be something that said 'It has been so and so since so and so and blah blah blah'? Wouldn't we have been clued in on it? It COULD happen, but...
valkyre
Just Passing Through

Post by valkyre »

well, i think of it as a place that exists outside our realm of thought. its not like narnia, where civilizations rise and fall our anything. but notice that whereever you do it, the result is the same?

eh, too hard to explain. think of (im sorry for saying this) buffy's hell dimension, where you go and be in hell for 20 years, and you come back and everythings the same.....

i used to have a whole alternative reality kick going on.

like my avatar? good. hes the last boss on silent hill 5. get all berries and cream on your ass...
when i say "they should add something new", i dont mean "they should add something new thats retarded". thats different.
nowhere
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by nowhere »

I like that rusty otherworld. It looks better than some shiny otherwold which ist any scary.
I thinks it just a look. Theres not any secrets.
http://p2.foorumi.info/silenthillsuomi/index.php

silent hill forum in finland
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

Hm I don't think so.:) Maybe because 1 and 3 has burning theme in the otherworlds so it adds the old look.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Just because it looks old doesn't mean it's actually old, just like how most corpses we see were never alive, and some people, like Maria, aren't really people.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I always felt the key was, they were observed as abandonded, just as Alessa was by her mother. Not nessacarily, that the Otherworld is old, just that it has been abandonded by human inhabitants.
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

I've always seen the Otherworld as a manifestation of depression, decay, and neglect (with regards to SH2, anyway), but with the others, it's more like the above with a liberal dose of burns, blood, and pain.

As far as time and such, I don't really think such dimensional constraints exist in the Otherworld.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

^
I agree time does not matter in the Otherworld at all.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Infact, supplementary sources, such as Lost Memories, specifically SAY that time and space don't matter.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
valkyre
Just Passing Through

Post by valkyre »

im especially thinking of number one. where your running around in a hellish landscape, on a grating erected over the cars of silent hill.
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

To the extent that the environment is falling apart and rusted, yes, I suppose "old" is an appropriate description.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I can see where valkyre is coming from. The first game, in particular, has this industrial/sci-fi element to the Otherworld, especially once you go outside in the business district. I'm talking about sights like the rows upon rows of windmills, the large and mysterious machine in Alchemilla's courtyard that extends into the darkness below (far, far below Alessa's room), and the fact that the grating seems like a deliberate overlay on top of crumbling and decayed streets.

However, that kind of deterioration would take centuries, and it doesn't match up with how, in that time frame, many of those buildings would simply be gone. Though the decay reproduces the effect of extreme time, it can't be time itself. Instead, it's a device of abandonment and loneliness. Obviously, there's no one around if nobody's maintaining anything, and the fact that these buildings are decaying without collapsing displays how it's an eternal state.

It's like the buildings are analogues to zombies, in that they decay but never dissipate.

SH3 also had an interesting Otherworld exterior, though we almost never see it (there's a window in the mall that shows two buildings against a red day, and the grated tunnels between buildings in the Chapel).
valkyre
Just Passing Through

Post by valkyre »

i depend on people who post more articulate then I, lol
kamui3
Just Passing Through

Post by kamui3 »

So basically the otherworld is endlessly rotting without actually falling apart.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

We talked about this a little over at the What Is The Otherworld? thread.

I'm in two minds. On one hand it could be an alternate world with a parallel time continuum. But to say that, you've got to think that it has aged from an original non-rusted state. But it's plain fact that a lot of the stuff you see in the otherworld has never been there in the real world.

Alternatively the otherworld could be born from memories of deterioration and decay. Like if you imagine Alessa or Mary or even Toluca prisoners, who are about to die, and slip between this world and the next, with the last things they see being cracks, peeling paint, celling fans, rusty prison doors ect... Well you can imagine how these things could be merged and manifest. Meaning that deterioration is the otherworlds natural state.

So I think the otherworld is as old as human civilisation at least. I don't think it looks old because it is old. But whether or not time exists there I don't know?
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Here's my two hypothetical cents:

The Other World is like a tooth.

People, and all of the suffering and pain they brought with them are plaque.

The Other World has decayed into a 'cavity' of sorts. a rotten, decaying version of what it once was.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Or a more fitting metaphor, is that the Otherworld is a canvas and people are the artists, but we're all sorta emo.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

I like the metaphor that the otherworld is a cave, all the freaky stuff in it that's built up from the past is like echoes, a participants mind is a voice, and their emotions are the acousitcs that shape the echoes in the cave.
Last edited by Breaka on 07 Aug 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil: