MOVIE ENDING THEORIES!

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

lovelytourniquet
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by lovelytourniquet »

Jacobs Ladder was/is awesome. Just figured i'd throw that out there for no reason whatsoever.

Anywho... Well considering the series it only makes sense that they are in fact alive and in that other dimension. It was even stated that they were different dimensions though I doubt they are of the dead.
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5349/lovelyvines4tj.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well, i have a theory, tell me what u think, first of all, i'm new to this so excuse me if it seems like i don't know what i'm doing lol. anyway, what if they ended the movie like they did to make a sequel like SH2. the sequel would have Chris going to Silent Hill to look for his wife (Rose) and daughter (Sharon) kinda like the game SH2 did. who knows, it's just a theory but i think that would be a cool way to continue the film series in step with the game. tell me what u guys think???
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So I see on here a lot of people confused about the ending and making a lot of interesting ideas, but I think we may be overthinking it a bit and not just seeing it for what it is; They're dead. They were dead when they woke up in SH.

Now please don't go crazy saying this isn't how the game was, etc. I know it's not. So let's look at a bit of what we have to go on:

-The movie clearly shows Rose bashing her head on the steering wheel pretty damn hard. It even emphasizes this with a long black pause.

-The movie once again goes out of it's way to maybe point out this when Rose tells Cybil she's bleeding. Cybil says it was from her crash. Remember, from a movie making standpoint, points and things like this are put in for a reason. It was a fairly minor injury, yet it was pointed out.

-Cybil's bike at the end is in no shape that anyone would have come through with just a scrape. The railing is also smashed in from impact.

-Rose even goes so far to tell the people in the Church they're already dead. They all died in the fire. I think at this point maybe Rose has come to grips with what's happening and what SH is.

-We have to keep in mind that SH is, at it's very core, a ghost story. An insanely convulted ghost story, but one nonetheless. The ending points to this as a classic ghost story end.

Personally, that's immediately what I thought at the end. I was curious when Rose pointed out Cybil's injury, and the end cemented it for me, as it was very Sixth Sense in that way. This is just what I got from it. I think she's forever trapped in the ghost world reality that is SH with her daughter, as they both died seeking out their destinies in SH.

Post by Guest »

Dastardly, your theory seems very valid, and is probably leading us into the right direction, but IF rose and cybil died, where did the bodies go? remember the cops found the car, but wouldn't they find the dead bodies also?

ahhh, the confusion!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dastardly wrote: -The movie clearly shows Rose bashing her head on the steering wheel pretty damn hard. It even emphasizes this with a long black pause.
-The movie once again goes out of it's way to maybe point out this when Rose tells Cybil she's bleeding. Cybil says it was from her crash. Remember, from a movie making standpoint, points and things like this are put in for a reason. It was a fairly minor injury, yet it was pointed out.
Ah, I was wondering when someone would bring up the head trauma.
My opinion on that is simple. Silent Hill often brings in various forms of perception static...that is to say, things which may bring on altered states of vision, hearing, etcetera. It's been discussed somewhere, but I can't imagine where such a thing would be posted...things like the fog, in particular. The two ladies recieving head wounds would tie in nicely with this theme, detatching them just a little bit further from the real world.
Now that it's been rephrased more clearly, I can see that the death idea isn't a bad theory.
Last edited by Anonymous on 22 Apr 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous wrote:Dastardly, your theory seems very valid, and is probably leading us into the right direction, but IF rose and cybil died, where did the bodies go? remember the cops found the car, but wouldn't they find the dead bodies also?

ahhh, the confusion!
I was gonna put that in because I was wondering that myself. SH has always had the ability to "envelope" people and things into it's world that it wants.

But furthermore, you have to remember the best ghost stories, real world and movies, there is no evidence of a person's dissapearance. They just vanish into thin air.

Needless to say I can't wait for the DVD commentary.
Major Konings
Just Passing Through

Post by Major Konings »

i can't wait for the dvd period
What it does:
[spoiler]
"It puts the lotion on its skin, else it gets the hose again!" silence of the lambs
[/spoiler]

Just in case you don't know, You can get a brand new copy of GH: silent hill from

http://www.konamistyle.com/b2c_kden/b2c/init.do

Post by Guest »

Dastardly wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Dastardly, your theory seems very valid, and is probably leading us into the right direction, but IF rose and cybil died, where did the bodies go? remember the cops found the car, but wouldn't they find the dead bodies also?

ahhh, the confusion!
I was gonna put that in because I was wondering that myself. SH has always had the ability to "evelope" people and things into it's world that it wants.

But furthermore, you have to remember the best ghost stories, real world and movies, there is no evidence of a person's dissapearance. They just vanish into thin air.

Needless to say I can't wait for the DVD commentary.
hmm, bodies vanishing into thin air seems too simple of a conclusion to me..

Post by Guest »

Well, the way I saw the ending of the movie was that it follows that of the bad ending to the original SH... with a slight twist. Rose sided with Alessa (rather than fighting her or the god she was supposed to give birth to... you can tell the god being birthed idea was discarded when it's revealed that Alessa and Sharon are the same damn age) In the end, Alessa (perhaps merged with Sharon now) chose Rose over her true mother Dahlia to stay with her in the foggy dimension of Silent Hill forever. And as for the theory of them already being dead--- the thing that shoots that idea down is the fact that Alessa still has yet to get her revenge. Who would want revenge on people already dead? Please.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think, essentially, that just about everyone was in purgatory. In the end, to me, opening the hole that the 'Boss' came from was a visual equivalent to the opening of hell. I think all those townsfolk were wandering in purgatory, and Alessa decided it was time to send them on to their final destination, which she did with Rose's help. Now Rose and Sharon (who I think still harbors Alessa, given the somewhat wicked look on her face when they were back home) are both a part of the spirit world. I found it disturbing that Sharon looked so knowing, and was walking around and active, while Rose sat in the chair in an apparent happy, blissfully unaware haze. It makes me think that Sharon/Alessa is the architect of their current state... and after all, Alessa now has a mother she knows for -certain- will go through anything for her.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Replace "purgatory" with "Otherworld", and I'd be in complete agreement with you. I guess the two theories aren't all that different.
sangokyu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by sangokyu »

Hmm... this whole "They were dead once they hit SH, like the bad ending" theory really makes me... maybe like the movie, somehow. Yeah, maybe. It all makes sense!
Because without her I am only revolutions of ruin.
lovelytourniquet
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by lovelytourniquet »

Raithien wrote:Replace "purgatory" with "Otherworld", and I'd be in complete agreement with you. I guess the two theories aren't all that different.
Yeah, thats like using Satan to refer to the little demon child.
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5349/lovelyvines4tj.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I find the term 'Otherworld' too vague, but that's just my preference. To me, the idea of Silent Hill as purgatory fits perfectly within the SH2 framework, so that's why I use that particular word. It's a place where people 'go' to work out their issues from life, before they can transcend. Or, in the case of the movie, IMHO, where they wait to be judged. Alessa judged them.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous wrote:Well, the way I saw the ending of the movie was that it follows that of the bad ending to the original SH... with a slight twist. Rose sided with Alessa (rather than fighting her or the god she was supposed to give birth to... you can tell the god being birthed idea was discarded when it's revealed that Alessa and Sharon are the same damn age) In the end, Alessa (perhaps merged with Sharon now) chose Rose over her true mother Dahlia to stay with her in the foggy dimension of Silent Hill forever. And as for the theory of them already being dead--- the thing that shoots that idea down is the fact that Alessa still has yet to get her revenge. Who would want revenge on people already dead? Please.
It was her only way. She had no way to get revenge on people that were alive, since they all died in the fire. to be forever trapped in SH. Wether she was the one that trapped them in SH for revenge, I'm not sure. But they're obviously there, even carrying on basic scavenging for survival. It doesn't sound like ghosts, does it? They never knew or accepted they were ghosts. They were like Rose and Cybil; Trapped in some sort of strange alternate universe. Death seemed to not even be a thought until Rose told them so.

Alessa ultimately got her revenge on the people that hurt her, the two halves were combined, and that was it. With the two sides combined, there can be no ultimate evil, as the good is now there as well. There's balance between the two

Gans says in his own blog that it's trying to show that no personality can survive one extreme.

Post by Guest »

Bah. If Rose and Cybil were already dead the whole move, why the hell would the crazy religious cult go through the trouble of BURNING CYBIL. I accept the possiblity though that Rose died when stabbed, and became part of Alessa's "town" just as Lisa had previously in the games. Anyone else think it was a bit odd Rose's wound just magically "healed" itself? I do however prefer the notion that Rose is just merely trapped in the foggy dimension of SH alongside her daughter now back to her original form; fused with Alessa.

Post by Guest »

Dastardly wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Well, the way I saw the ending of the movie was that it follows that of the bad ending to the original SH... with a slight twist. Rose sided with Alessa (rather than fighting her or the god she was supposed to give birth to... you can tell the god being birthed idea was discarded when it's revealed that Alessa and Sharon are the same damn age) In the end, Alessa (perhaps merged with Sharon now) chose Rose over her true mother Dahlia to stay with her in the foggy dimension of Silent Hill forever. And as for the theory of them already being dead--- the thing that shoots that idea down is the fact that Alessa still has yet to get her revenge. Who would want revenge on people already dead? Please.
It was her only way. She had no way to get revenge on people that were alive, since they all died in the fire. to be forever trapped in SH. Wether she was the one that trapped them in SH for revenge, I'm not sure. But they're obviously there, even carrying on basic scavenging for survival. It doesn't sound like ghosts, does it? They never knew or accepted they were ghosts. They were like Rose and Cybil; Trapped in some sort of strange alternate universe. Death seemed to not even be a thought until Rose told them so.

Alessa ultimately got her revenge on the people that hurt her, the two halves were combined, and that was it. With the two sides combined, there can be no ultimate evil, as the good is now there as well. There's balance between the two

Gans says in his own blog that it's trying to show that no personality can survive one extreme.
But wasn't the coal mine fire a cover-up for what they really did to Alessa?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, the cultists don't know they're dead, and it's a common theme in ghost lore that ghosts repeat actions they did in life, particularly actions that led to their death. So it makes sense that they'd burn Cybil. It's the action that condemned them - it's what they know.

Post by Guest »

Princesca wrote:Well, the cultists don't know they're dead, and it's a common theme in ghost lore that ghosts repeat actions they did in life, particularly actions that led to their death. So it makes sense that they'd burn Cybil. It's the action that condemned them - it's what they know.
That makes sense, except they aren't dead.. they show up in the normal dimension at the beginning of the movie when Rose is hiding in the bathroom.
Varg6
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Varg6 »

I think that what they should do is that they should follow the storyline of the second game, except Chris now has to travel to the SH dimension and go through the baddies to try to find his wife and daughter, meanwhile Rose is trying to escape the foggy alternate dimension that they're trapped in, and I think a letter maybe might be appropriate for chris to attain somehow? I dunno, I think it'd be a cool idea though, definitely to keep a fan happy hahaha, for me atleast :D
Det Som Engang Var...