Rate the Movie + Give Your Reviews

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

TetrahedronHead
Just Passing Through

Post by TetrahedronHead »

I would say both the first Mortal Kombat and the first Resident Evil weren't bad. (Although they inspired two of the most godawful sequels in history, one subtitled Armageddon and the other Apocalypse. Coincidence?) Both films, of course, were directed by Paul W.S. Anderson who treated the medium as inspiration and attempted to tell an interesting story instead of staying completely within the canon of the video games. That was the right way to go, even if I didn't care for the transition in RE from organic horror to sci-fi action fare. But one man's meat is another man's poison.
One who can only see the stars as above him lacks the gift of insight. --- Frederich Nietzche.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Eh, Resident Evil... I liked the original when I first saw it, but I was a kid. Also, I've never been too savvy on the RE series compared to SH. All the other Resident Evil movies sucked, though, including Degeneration.
Däniken
Just Passing Through

Post by Däniken »

Story and dialogue were the worst aspects of the movie. Acting was allright for the most part but nothing special. Radha Mitchell succeeded in conveying her despair for a lost daughter quite convincingly at times. Jodelle Ferland was passable as Sharon but way too cheesy as "dark Alessa".

What I really liked about the movie were the environments. The otherworld was spectacular and foggy world was also very atmospheric. Characters were not on the same level - notably the lying figures which were ridiculous. I liked PH's design even though I prefer the rectangural helmet. The scene with cultists running into church and PH displaying his brutality was visually stunning, and the final massacre was a real grande finale. I would have preferred the original plan with seven PH's slaughtering the cultists but this was okay too. Alessa's dance under the blood rain was also a great sight.

I think the interplay between music and picture was somewhat uninspired. There were couple of scenes where it was done well like the one with Rose waking up in bowling alley and the one with everybody running into church and "Dance with Night Wind" playing at the backround.

I dont give a numerical score but verbal summary would be "mediocre".
I am Malth. You will never get past me.
TetrahedronHead
Just Passing Through

Post by TetrahedronHead »

Ryoshockwave wrote:Eh, Resident Evil... I liked the original when I first saw it, but I was a kid. Also, I've never been too savvy on the RE series compared to SH. All the other Resident Evil movies sucked, though, including Degeneration.
Don't get me started on Degeneration. I work at a video store, so getting my rentals for free I decided to check it out. For a video-game inspired, direct-to-DVD title you can forgive a bit of cheesiness in the plot and voice-acting; but the animation! Oh, the animation! 8 years advanced from the gorgeous Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (And three from the even more astounding Polar Express) and they could barely muster a level of CGI that could compete with a Playstation 2 cut-scene. Pathetic.

And yeah, Mortal Kombat mostly appeals to kids. But it's a competent work and well-suited to its target market, like the first Resident Evil. Though I agree I've always enjoyed Silent Hill more than Resident Evil.

Although my interest in the series did experience an uptick when RE4 released on the GameCube. The action-oriented play suits the cheesy storyline well, even if it did foist the popularity of the dreaded Quick Time Event on an unsuspecting public.
One who can only see the stars as above him lacks the gift of insight. --- Frederich Nietzche.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

TetrahedronHead wrote:
Ryoshockwave wrote:Eh, Resident Evil... I liked the original when I first saw it, but I was a kid. Also, I've never been too savvy on the RE series compared to SH. All the other Resident Evil movies sucked, though, including Degeneration.
Don't get me started on Degeneration. I work at a video store, so getting my rentals for free I decided to check it out. For a video-game inspired, direct-to-DVD title you can forgive a bit of cheesiness in the plot and voice-acting; but the animation! Oh, the animation! 8 years advanced from the gorgeous Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (And three from the even more astounding Polar Express) and they could barely muster a level of CGI that could compete with a Playstation 2 cut-scene. Pathetic.

And yeah, Mortal Kombat mostly appeals to kids. But it's a competent work and well-suited to its target market, like the first Resident Evil. Though I agree I've always enjoyed Silent Hill more than Resident Evil.

Although my interest in the series did experience an uptick when RE4 released on the GameCube. The action-oriented play suits the cheesy storyline well, even if it did foist the popularity of the dreaded Quick Time Event on an unsuspecting public.
I admit that I didn't have much exp with RE until the fourth came out. I had the director's cut if RE1, but my dad (the video game hater that he was) snapped the disc in half just because he thought the game was too violent (fortunately he never knew about Silent Hill). I never had the opportunity to play any other until RE:0 for the Gamecube, which wasn't a bad game at all, actually. Then, of course, Resident Evil 4, which I personally really liked. Leon is awesome. I was actually pretty excited for Degeneration simply because Leon was in it.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed in Degeneration after the first watch. I thought it started off okay, but after the initial encounter with the zombies, it went downhill fast. Like you said, the graphics weren't that great- but they weren't what bothered me about the movie. It was boring, even the action sequences, and Leon just wasn't the same character. I don't know why they needed to add some lame-ass Mary-Sue chick with a pathetic sob story and actually make Leon and her have some sort of "thing"- I would have rather seen him end up with Claire! (lol) The scene where her mutated brother sees the photograph and goes: "I DON'T WANNA HURT YOU GGGWWUUUAAAAHHHHH." Made me laugh out loud because it was just so stupid. There were a couple good scenes, but overall, the movie failed.
wonderland kitten
Just Passing Through

Post by wonderland kitten »

you have to admit degeneration had probibly the best animated outtakes ever even if they did skull F**k clare, the story, and how the G worked
"But i don't want to go among mad people!"
OH you can't help that we're ALL mad here...
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

Well, I'll try to give the best review I can:

Plot: 4/10
There are parts to the plot I love, and there are some things I just cannot get past. The parts where the plot moved were decent, but there were parts I just felt could have been done differently. I hated how butchered it felt compared to the original game's story, and especially hated that the Cult of Silent Hill got reduced to a basic,albeit extremely radical, Christian group. They weren't mysterious, imposing, or scary, and hid completely from everything. Even the Order in the games, even people not connected to the Order as well, wandered around Silent Hill, despite the monsters and everything. These people seemed to just run away at first sign of danger everytime. Not to mention I hated that they killed Cybil, it was stupid and unnessecary, and honestly makes me feel bad to even watch that scene. The rest of the plot was jumbled, confused, and really, too much wa sleft unexplained. Also, as mentioned in the review from TheGuyWiththeGlasses.com , Sean Bean's story felt really forced.

Acting: 5/10
Eh, I can't say too much here. Rose was ok. Cybil was decent. Sean Bean's character was ok. Gucci was probably the best. Sharon was awful. The Cult members were atrocious.

Scariness: 4/10
t was ok. I liked the otherworld transformations, and the Janitor was kind of cool. Honestly though, I didn't find Pyramid Head imposing at all in the movie. The bugs dragged him down on his first appearance, he served no purpose to the film itself, and his second appearance was still not worth it, despite the skin-ripping scene being only ok. I did like the nurses. They weren't game-nurse scary, but they were kind of cool.

Ending: 3/10
You know, I liked the demon at the end. I thought the death scenes could have been better, but I thought overall that part was ok. After all the gore was done, I thought the rest of the ending was terrible. IT didn't end even remotely happily as even the games have shown can happen, it left us sor tof just hanging there, and then it ended on fucking tomato bushes. No explaination on why they didn't return, no closure to Sean Bean's story. Certainly no happy ending for Rose. Before the demon scenes, I didn't like the whole Rose getting cut stuff either.

Visuals: 8/10
This is one spot where the movie does shine. I thought the look of a lot of the places looked right out of the game. While it lacked a lot of the symbolic imagery like the Seal of Metatron, the paintings of the God, etcc., the look of the Fog and Otherworlds really did look great. The scene transitions worked pretty well too. The monsters looked great as wel. I may not have liked Pyramid Head in the movie, but he did look close to his game appearance, so I give them that.

Overall: 24/50
It's not a horrible movie, but it's not good. it's a decent video game movie, but it's not a good video game adaption in any means. In fact, it really isn't a good movie at all, but still, not completely horrible.
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

and especially hated that the Cult of Silent Hill got reduced to a basic,albeit extremely radical, Christian group.
The cult in the movie is not The Order, nor are they Christian. They're a radical sect that worships a female god and that stands in direct opposition to the Order, which is why the woman in the burning picture is Jennifer Carroll.
Not to mention I hated that they killed Cybil, it was stupid and unnessecary, and honestly makes me feel bad to even watch that scene.
Alessa pulled her into her world for just that reason. Cybil was meant to martyr herself to give time for Rose to return and save Sharon. Had Cybil not died, Sharon would have, and the movie would have been for nothing.
IT didn't end even remotely happily as even the games have shown can happen, it left us sor tof just hanging there, and then it ended on fucking tomato bushes.
It ended happily for Alessa. She's reborn now, with a new body and a new mom. So there was happiness to it- just not for Rose or Chris.
No explaination on why they didn't return,
It is explained, you just have to pay close attention. Alessa is the only one who can open and close the door into the alternate realms. When Sharon (her good side) and Dark Alessa (her dark side) locked eyes, the soul was reunited and she was reborn into one body. Since we know she has the ability to return to our world (which she did the night Sharon was created and to make Rose crash her car), that means she doesn't want to leave the alternate realms.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

I give it a Negative 5.

Replacing Harry? Pyramid Head there just for the fanboys? "Re-invented" storyline? A bunch of crap.

Ahem, of course the creators didn't play through the games enough. And why make a movie out of SH1? I believe they could've done a better job if they made 4 or 2 a movie. Or just completely made their own storyline not related to the games.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Where was my mind when I gave it a scary rating of 5? I'll rate it a 0. Plus the story and ending. . . I'll give it a 0 too. The only thing that saved the movie was some actors/actress, the soundtrack and visuals.
IceDhole
Just Passing Through

Post by IceDhole »

There were more Non-Silent Hill 1 then just Pyramid Head, guys :P

Plot and Storyline: 6
Wasn't that good, but not bad either. The writing of this movie is pretty decent.

Acting: 7

Besides Anna and Officer Gucci, I thought that the Acting was pretty decent. I love Radha Mitchell too. :)

Scariness: 8

Movies can't really scare me, unlike video games. While Video Games put you into the situation, you're just watching it happen to someone else in a movie. But if movies did scare me, I would probably give it an 8.

End and conclusion: 9

I honestly really like the ending. By Ending, I don't mean the part when Alessa kills everyone, I like it when Rose gets home.

Overall Rating: 7

To tell the truth, I love this movie. But on a critical level, I have to bring it down to a 7. But Silent Hill is without a doubt one of the best video game adaptations. Most Video Game Movies are absolute garbage.

Edit: Besides the script not being great, I have a few other things I dislike about the film. One thing that really disappointed me was when the cult came running out of the fog, it really ruined the feeling of being alone and helpless. Even though I love Radha, I wish they also would have had Harry instead of Rose. Also, the cult in this film isn't as interesting. While the Cult in the game sacrificed Alessa to give birth to a god, the cult in the film only wants to burn women who they assume are witches.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER: