Rate the Movie + Give Your Reviews

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Rate the Movie + Give Your Reviews

Post by Anonymous »

Hey everybody. I'm kinda new on here, but I love seeing everyone so excited on here before the movie starts. I was wondering if the moderators were having some kind of member rating system or thread for the movie on here sometime. I haven't seen one yet so I thought I might introduce one. Here's what I was thinking of doing for it. Maybe a score of 1-10 (decimals in between as well included like a score of 8.7) for each category.

Plot and Storyline: What did you think of how it was written and how well it served in potraying the game. (1-10 score)

Acting: 1-10 score

Scariness: A must for a Silent Hill movie (1-10) score

End and conclusion: How you liked the ending (1-10 score)

Overall Rating: The most important category. 1-10 score

Comments: just what you liked or didn't like about the movie

I was just wanting to see everyone's opinion of the movie after it came out. I just wanted to throw this out there before it started. This is just something I would like to see someone do after the movie is out, since all you guys know how to get these things started. Again, I don't know if anybody's doing this, so please fogive if it is. Thanks.
stone_psycho
Just Passing Through

Post by stone_psycho »

im sure when the movie is released, there will be hundreds of posts giving this information
Droo

Post by Droo »

stone_psycho wrote:im sure when the movie is released, there will be hundreds of posts giving this information
Yes. So why not find a way around all that and make this an all purpose sticky so we won't have a million threads on the same thing?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Bradaviel
Just Passing Through

Post by Bradaviel »

Great idea toe give a note to all those aspects, i was thinking about it yeasterday and it seemed impossible for me to give an overall score if i was disapointed in some aspects of the adaptation but liked it anyway as a movie.
[url=http://bradaviel.free.fr/blog/motsdumort.html]The soul doesn't need Flesh...but the flesh needs it so bad it hurts[/url]
[img]http://bradaviel.free.fr/avatars/sig-sh.jpg[/img]
Cherlessa
Just Passing Through

Post by Cherlessa »

i think this is a fantabulous idea and i can't wait to see what everyone will say about it come friday (man, i bet this place is gonna be flooooooooooooded :shock:
[color=blue]I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Dont hesitate to call.[/color] ^_^
Wes
Just Passing Through

Post by Wes »

the real question, as we havn't seen the movie yet, is how long do you think this thread is going to go? I'm guessing 20-25 pages before it slows
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Heck yeah. Thanks. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Fatal_Sims
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fatal_Sims »

Okay guys... Gettin' excited over here. I really can't wait to see if this movie is going to rock or flop
daisuke999
Just Passing Through

Post by daisuke999 »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I CANT WAIT FOR THE MOVIE, EVERYTIME I SEE THE TRAILER ON T.V. I ALMOST GET A GOREGASM!!
D.O.P.E.: Y0uR K1d5 4r3 0n DrUg5
Fizl
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Fizl »

For anyone interested, there are midnight showings in London

Shaz
Badger - The Calamari of the Forest
Lost In Fog
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Lost In Fog »

I just got back from a screening of the film. Here's how i liked it...

Acting: 8 (Not Oscar worth...but then again who could give a flip about the Oscars!)

Scariness: 8 (More creepy than scary.)

End Of Conclusion: 7 1/2 (Could change though when I see it again and put more thought into it.)

Overall: 9

Comments: The part about the movie I loved the most, at first, the soundtrack! They didn't water anything down here folks! It's ALL from the games. So if you have the collection...You will be digging them out to listen to the tracks again. This is a move for the fans!

Pyrimid Head makes Pinhead look like a beotch! :twisted: I won't spoil anything until this thread gets poppin' but I do suggest you go and see this. I know a shall see it once more....and again.....'Nooch!

Note: These are my opinion. Take what you will from them. The choice is yours....And if you choose not to see it....P-Head will get you! :twisted:
[img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/lostinfog_photos/lif2.jpg[/img]
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

So, were you disappointed?
Lost In Fog
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Lost In Fog »

Pink_isnt_well000 wrote:So, were you disappointed?
Not in the least bit! It was more than I expected it to be. I was actually left with the feeling of wanting to return to SIlent Hill. And that's a disturbing thought. :wink:
[img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/lostinfog_photos/lif2.jpg[/img]
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

That's great!!
Bradaviel
Just Passing Through

Post by Bradaviel »

BOOYAAa !!
you got me jumping all over the place, now !!
[url=http://bradaviel.free.fr/blog/motsdumort.html]The soul doesn't need Flesh...but the flesh needs it so bad it hurts[/url]
[img]http://bradaviel.free.fr/avatars/sig-sh.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Should have waited till' tomorrow and made a poll
bannie
Just Passing Through

Post by bannie »

I move to add a pros and cons section to the little rating rubric thingy

that way, we can look at the good and the bad, not just "silent HilL iS teh r0xoR!!!1!1!/sUx0R!!!1!!one!!!1"

and yes, I do realize Im on a silent hill forum :roll:. I value objectivity
Last edited by bannie on 21 Apr 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Its 3 in the morning I cant wait booked tickets for a 6:15 screening, I am so loking forward to this its unreal, There are some people reviews on IMDB people are going crazy for it, was a sceptic but now cant wait :twisted:
Jedah
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jedah »

Just came from watching the movie and here are my views:

Plot and Storyline: 7 - The plot and story is not that hard to understand if your a SH fan and you are familiar with the games. I loved the changes they made to it, its not 100% like the game, which again I don't mind the changes been a fan, and it felt somewhat new and fresh to me. But the problem with the story was, for me it easy to get into since I know the game and back-story by heart, but for the average movie goers, it won’t be that easy or they might not enjoy and understand it well enough. The reason I say this is because I went with 2 other friends who don't play video games and have never heard of SH until now and their thoughts was that it was "too" complicated, or it wasn’t enough. Not just them but when we got out, I was asking other people who just finished watching it about their reaction and thoughts on the movie, and almost all of them said the same thing, that they enjoyed the scary/gory effects of it, but they didn't get the story/plot well and felt kind of lost.

Acting: 7 - No Oscar performance here, but it is above average, nothing we haven’t seen before.

Scariness: 9 - This is where the movie really shines, although honestly I was hoping for more monster/suspense moments to pop up in "fog" SH since its mostly boring during those times, but man when that sirens comes up, you know the shit is about to hit the fan...and it really does hardcore. Every time that sirens sound on, it makes you want to run out of the movie theater in fright because you know something really really bad is going to happen. The monsters were really well made too, very detailed and scary indeed, it wouldn’t surprise me if this movie gets some awards for special make ups/effects. Oh and btw PH definitely looks and kicks ass, although I was hoping he made more cameos since he rarely pops up in the movie, but when he does he lets his presence felt, especially when you hear him dragging that great knife.

End and conclusion: 8 - The ending is pretty good and I won't spoil it yet, but its your typical SH ending... it leaves so many things open, and its up to you the viewer to decide what happens. I can see now the endless threads in the near future reading "SH movie real ending" and all the so called experts writing 10~20 pages long of theories about the ending.

Overall Rating: 9 - Overall I think it is a great movie, especially for us SH fans, since this is like a dream come true for us. Gans definitely made a true masterpiece in the movie, and I'm glad it didn’t disappoint. I just hope the general masses, the average movie goers sees it and enjoy the movie as much as I did, and I hope it becomes a huge box office hit, since this movie as sequel written all over it.

Comments: Again I'm very impressed with the attention to detail the movie has, from the monsters, special effects, decent story line and the awesome soundtrack (which is basically all of the games scores re-mastered, and it fits the movie well). I don’t want to say that the movie is perfect either; because its not, it’s not without its flaws, but since I’m a SH fan I’m going to love it either way. We’ll just have to wait and see how the general mass thinks of it, but in the end I really enjoyed it, and I’m sure every SH fan is going to enjoy it and in the end that’s what really matters.

Thanks again Gans and Konami/Team Silent for making such an awesome video game series and now a great movie.
[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/jedahpr/banner7v2.jpg[/img]
"The Monster inside of me as grown this big"
agawa
Just Passing Through

Post by agawa »

Plot and Storyline:6/10
Satisfactory, but didn't go to the emotional level I was hoping for. The plot connected, and it made sense for the most part, but didn't try to go deeper. It could have. In the end, it didn't really connect me to the characters, especially Alessa and the cult members.
Acting:10/10
If there is one thing I have to say about this movie, it's that the acting is fantastic. For once, a child in a movie actually acted like a child. For the five minutes we got to see Sharon, I was quite impressed. The cast is what really made this movie for me, between an amazing Cybil and a desperate, but faithful mother.
Scariness:9/10
Definitely creepy, especially at the beginning. But the movie seemed to be missing a sort of balance - lots of amazing ambiance and creepy shots for the first half, lots of explaining for the second half. Finally, while the bugs and blood and bubbling walls are creepy while you're watching then, this isn't a movie that will leave you with an emotional fear. It won't disturb as you think about what happened, and the implications of it all. However, in what it did and what it tried to do - create an atmosphere of total fear - it certainly succeeded it. It's a shame it didn't last the whole movie.
End and conclusion:7/10
I'm rather unsatisfied with the ending, which felt imcomplete. As it, it seemed like it should have had a point- but didn't quite manage.
Overall Rating:7/10
All in all, Silent Hill is a good movie. The acting, the creepy atmosphere, and the great sets and music are all something to be enjoyed. However, just a little more meat on the bone would have made it excellant. Hopefully they'll learn with the sequel.

Favorite Part: Cybil telling Rose to go on without her. I could feel Rose's fear as the movie took the one stable person she had and took her away. The contrast of her being truly alone with walking with Cybil really brought the fear out.
Best Part As An Adaptation: Definitely Cybil. She had a lot of character in the movie, and I liked her a lot more than I did in the game.
Best Part As A Movie: The mood set by a combination of incredible scenery, stellar acting, and good costumes and music.
Worst Part As An Adaptation: The depiction of the cult, Dahlia, and Alessa. I felt that the contrast between Rose and Dahlia was much less powerful, and not only that, Dahlia just didn't wasn't important, and seemed rather token. As for Alessa and the cult, again- I wish there had been a more interesting message in there than "burn the witch" and revenge. (Actually, I was laughing inside- I kept thinking of the Quest For the Holy Grail. Heh. She weighs the same a duck! Buuurn her! Burn the witch!)
Worst Part As A Movie:
Cheesiest Scene: It's a tie between "I am the reaper" and Alessa's little fire demonstration.
WTF?!?! Uh, Janitor? I wish they'd done more with that Janitor? Also, what's with the balance? The first half is all out ambiance, and the second was all plot. It would have been nice if they'd mixed it up a bit. Also, why were all of the monsters in it only once? It would have been nice to have at least a few repeats, and mix it up a little, rather than several en-masse monster attacks. That's a minor peeve though.

Either way, sorry if this isn't written all that well. It's 1AM, but I wanted to get my opinion's out before I slept.

EDIT: I've been trying to figure out what really peeved me about the film as an adaptation, and I think I finally put my finger on it. In the film, Alessa isn't so much a character as she is a plot point.