Could have been, but wasnt.

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Re: Could have been, but wasnt.

Post by VenusDoom »

In all honesty, if it came down to your wife not agreeing with you and taking your daughter to a supposedly haunted dangerous town, I wouldn't care for her much either. I've always thought your kid should trump your significant other.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I always got the vibe from Chris in the first film that he cared a lot about Sharon, he really did, but he was really sick of her having these sleeping walking patterns and the, atleast once, near death experience(s), and thus wanted her put into a home to get better, while they didn't have to worry about it. On the other hand...in the movie, Rose states that the medication she's taking don't work, so perhaps Christopher thought that maybe constant care would do more good than the drugs would. However, that doesn't explain why he doesn't seem very interested in finding Sharon, but only mentions Rose (Maybe he assumes Sharon would be with her).
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:^I always thought people only assumed that Christopher didn't care about Sharon. I mean, I've heard the same, but I don't recall seeing/hearing proof.
I really want to say a saw a source, but it was so long ago that I can't even remember what I'd Google to find it.
Aerith Gainsborough

^I have no idea, either. I'd love to see the source, though.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

The Silent Hill wiki states it, but doesn't cite anything.

http://www.silenthillmemories.net/creat ... out_en.htm

This is the closest I could find, after searching for a little while. Sean Bean says:
I think it’s because she thinks it’s a good idea for Sharon to confront her fears by going there, and I wouldn’t go along with that. I don’t think I’d agree to that. Id’ say, “Well, you know, I think we can get help through …” And we do things, you know, in other ways. And, you know, I’m a bit pissed off … she took her without my permission or without even consulting about it. and I’m in a bad mood and I get… you know, I’m obviously … I start a sort of … for her and get more and more desperate as it goes along. But [she is] my daughter and there’s illness now.
It kind of implies that he's mainly searching for Rose, but it's not outright stated.
Aerith Gainsborough

^I kind of thinking the part that may indicate that he's only searching for Rose sounds more like he's actually talking about Sharon. He indicates that his character is very pissed off, since Rose took her without his permission, and thus leads Christopher to look for his daughter and wife. That's my take on it.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

It's possible. I wonder if anyone else could point us in the direction of that supposed interview.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I'm posting from my phone, so I don't have the links, but I know Gans commented on the family's ties in an interview on the official French site, and Sean called Sharon a "problem" in one of his interviews (not sure which one). What Gans says is that the family falls apart because Chris loves Rose more than anyone else in the world, but Rose loves Sharon more than anyone else in the world. Sean says that Chris and Rose have the perfect relationship, except for one problem (Sharon), which suggests the character views her as an annoyance.
The idea seems to be that medicine and doctors aren't working, which leaves only one option - institutionalizing Sharon. Since doctors don't know what's wrong with Sharon or how to cure her, this will effectively end any semblance of a normal life for her, possibly forever. Having to go to an institution every night will effectively segregate Sharon from her family and normal society, which would explain why Rose is so desperate that she's willing to risk her marriage and even jail time to take Sharon to Silent Hill. The Brahams Herald and the news reports Chris reads, as well as his and Gucci's trip through the town, tell us it isn't really that dangerous. Seeing as neither Chris or Gucci were wearing gas masks in the car, and the newspaper articles suggested the fumes are only really dangerous inside buildings, it's likely perfectly safe to drive through the town, so long as you don't stop and spend the night there. Seeing as she read the same articles as Chris, Rose must have known that. And what's a quick drive through a town compared to lifelong institutionalization?
Chris, on the other hand, was in favor of locking Sharon away, and wasn't disturbed at all when she went missing. Like Gans said, he loved Rose more than anyone else, so there was no room for him to worry about Sharon when Rose had also disappeared. That's why Alessa rejects him, and why Dark Alessa says, "You chose. You chose Sharon." when Rose asks "Why me?". Chris didn't choose Sharon, so he didn't go through what Rose did.
Aerith Gainsborough

Awesome! I really hope you find the interview when you're at a computer!

I always thought when she said, "You chose. You chose Sharon", it simply meant that she chose to go through the Hell, which is Silent Hill, to save her daughter, but it could def. tie into the whole Chris rejecting Sharon ordeal.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The whole movie was about Rose choosing Sharon. First she chose Sharon over Chris, then she chose her over the law, and then Alessa meticulously tested her once she was in the town, forcing her to choose dangerous or frightening things for Sharon. For example, Rose didn't have to reach into the janitor's mouth, she didn't have to jump over the huge hole to where Dark Alessa was crying, she didn't have to face the nurses, etc. Her devotion to Sharon and her willingness to choose her child over all else shows up everywhere. So the "you chose" line refers to all of that, as well as what Chris wouldn't do for Sharon.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

^ This is a part I loved about the film. Of all things that the film reflected well about the games (the monsters, the visuals, the suffering of Alessa, among others), the fact that Rose did everything she could to save Sharon was what I admired most. Harry had the same motive in the game, taking all these risks and facing all these horrors to get to his daughter. This was a part I was hoping the film could capture well, and boy, did it ever. Rose and Harry even had strikingly similar lines in the film/game.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Sajun
Just Passing Through

Post by Sajun »

I'm one of those few people that can enjoy the Silent Hill movie for what it is. I like to think I'm just as big a fan as most of you guys here, but sadly it takes me a little longer to notice the intricacies of the games, how they tie in together for example.

With the movie, when I watch it I just enjoy it. I think it's made with the games in mind, like the people working on it were themselves fans. Personally I think that the ONLY thing that was wrong with the film was the last 15 or so minutes when the little girl is narrating, it just gets a bit cheesy, and then the whole barbed wire thing was nonsense.

I generally cut the film off right about when she starts to narrate, and to me that's perfect.

I am super super super excited about the new film, but I'm more than happy with the first one, without the last 15 minutes of course. =)