5th Anniversary

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

5th Anniversary

Post by Silent Evil »

A historic day in Silent Hill history, as on this very day five years ago(April 21st, 2006) was the release of as we now know it to be the 1st SILENT HILL movie nationwide in US theaters...

Today is officially the 5th ANNIVERSARY of the SILENT HILL movie! :D

So, what are your experiences with the first movie and opening day? Were you excited, nervous perhaps? Did you have high or low expectations, did you think the movie met or possibly even exceeded them? Or did it not even come CLOSE?! Did you hate it upon your viewing, and actually hate yourself for having been exposed to such vileness?

This thread is for you, to expound upon your thoughts and feelings below.................GO!
Last edited by Silent Evil on 21 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on: deviantART | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Re: 5th Anniversary

Post by alone in the town »

It was a movie. I watched it.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Did you hate it upon your viewing, and actually hate yourself for having been exposed to such vileness?
This, kinda. Actually it was just kind of meh really.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I was exited as hell!

I watched it opening week (not opening day) and then later at the discount theater.
It was worth suffering through the plot to see SH in live action.

Fuck you all, but YES, even PH. I hate that he's in the movie, but FUCK YEAH. It was cool to see him played by a real actor. The damage is done now, may as well enjoy it for what it is.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

All I remember is calling in sick to work and going to see the first showing on opening day.

I should have gone to work.
nobody is anybody
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

I loved it :D Wasnt too keen for a while, but it's a great film
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

I don't remember what I initially thought. Eh.
kumiko
Gravedigger

Post by kumiko »

I watched I liked it, then went on ebay and and got every single SH game (1-4) and here I am
Youma Taisan!
Xev

Post by Xev »

5 freakin years huh? Wow.
I remember giong to the theater by myself, which, by the way was a little odd. I can, and have went, many places alone and have no problem doing so but that felt weird to do. As Ive repeated myself many times here: none of my friends care for Silent Hill except one whom only played SH2 on computer and I dont see her that often nowadays.

So there I was in theater, anxiously awaiting the opening scenes. I sat there through the whole thing and I didnt know if I liked it or not. It could have been I built it up soooo much and to see it for what it was, well it was OK. I now have come to appreciate it for what it is - like SilentWren was sayin’ and yes I did buy the DVD the night it came out. Ive watched it maybe 100 times over these 5 years. Its one of my favorites I think only for sheer fangirl aspect. I loved most of the creature and set designs and I love Radha, I thought she was great. Jodelle was exceptional as well.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I loved the movie. Happy birthday, Silent Hill movie!
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
gomezaddams
Just Passing Through

Post by gomezaddams »

I had planned to go see it opening day, first showing, and then later in the evening had already made plans to see it with my wife (then girlfriend). For me, I really need to see a film that I have a big interest in alone the first time. Actually, unless it's some type of comedy or sitcom, I always prefer watching something alone. I just can get lost in it more.
Anyways - so, I'm there opening morning with a decent sized audience.
First thing I remember is how cool I thought it was to see the title with the beginning of the theme come onto the screen and through the sound system.
...but after that... well....
my first viewing of it overall was decent - I recognized it had flaws but was still taken by how amazing I thought the look and set designs were.

Later that night when I went back with my girlfriend, the glaringly terrible dialogue was more noticeable on second viewing.

I'm not sure if it was just language barrier with Gans not being able to tell when a delivery sounded complete b-movie grade, or what exactly. But damn. The funny thing is that I thought Christabella, would could have easily been the most extremely over the top bad-acting character, ended up being the best. and not even from the games. Though I assume that's due to the work of Alice Krige. - Bad thing was that was my wife's first encounter with anything Silent Hill aside from my chats about it - and I spent the evening afterwords trying to explain how ''trust me, it's so much more than what you just saw. and a lot of what you didn't see. It actually can hit you emotionally! really! ''

Then the DVD came out and it just furthered my belief that it's trying to be a b-movie with the cover art.

My thoughts - it looks fantastic. the atmosphere is perfect. If i could make it a silent film with music it would drastically improve it.

I'm really hoping the second film keeps the spot-on look, and really improves on everything else. So far it seems on track. I don't think any of the actors/actresses were bad in the first film, i'm just thinking it was bad direction.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I remember that night. Mom snuck me out of my terribly tiring orchestra concert early to make it to the show on time. We had a pre-screening ticket for two. It was like a level of Metal Gear Solid trying to get out of the school to meet her in the lobby. When we got to the theater, we found the perfect seats and all was well.

Except, I was so freaking nervous with excitement that I could barely keep it in. I could hardly keep still in the cheap, cushiony seat as I bobbed back and forth, biting my lips with a fierce smile. Mom ended up going to get me some snacks so I wouldn't bite my lips off. We talked for a while about how excited I was before the movie started, and what it felt like to be scared and everything. We were both apprehensive, her because she's easily terrified by scary movies, and me because of total fanboyage. Really, the apprehension stemmed from a mother taking her son to do something she knew he'd really enjoy, and being able to spend that kind of quality time together, which is always good time spent.

Go Silent Hill! I'm ready for the sequel now, please.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I remember after the movie finished and the credits started to roll, my cousin turned to me and said, "well that sucked." The whole delivery is still vivid in my mind :lol:

I, being the SH fan I am, was disappointed to hear that, but I could understand since you really have to watch the movie a few times to truly appreciate it. Of course, when the movie finished I was in a really mixed state about how I felt about it, but after subsequent viewings I've appreciated it much more even though some of the dialogue still makes my ears bleed a little bit. Overall though, I was very pleased with the atmosphere, characters, and of course seeing Silent Hill on the big screen.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I saw it with my mother on a whim; I'd been wanting to see it, and played through part of Silent Hill 3 as preparation. It was what got me into Silent Hill.

I enjoyed the movie. Did it scare me? Not really. Was it the best movie ever? No. But I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to the next movie!
bl00dmuffin
Just Passing Through

Post by bl00dmuffin »

I went to see it the first day it came out, I think with my then-boyfriend. At the time I knew basically nothing about Silent Hill and had only seen the trailer, like, twice, but that was enough to get me interested.

And yeah, I fell in love with Silent Hill after seeing the movie. The visuals were perfect and the music really moved me, plus I thought the story was really interesting. It felt like this was what I was looking for in the horror genre -- something subtle and surreal and eerie and oddly beautiful.

Four days later was my birthday, and I took all my friends to see it with me after dinner that night. That was a good birthday.

Not long after that I decided to play the games, and I realized what I had been missing all those years. Five years later and I'm still a huge fangirl.
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

Just throwin' some numbers out for ya...

SILENT HILL had a production budget of $50 million.

It opened at No. 1 the Box Office movie weekend of April 21, 2006. Only new movies it was up against were THE SENTINEL(3rd) and AMERICAN DREAMZ(9th). Other movies in the Top 5 for that weekend were SCARY MOVIE 4(2nd), ICE AGE: THE MELTDOWN(4th) and THE WILD(5th).

Opening Weekend Gross(US): $20.1 million
Total Domestic(US) Gross: $46.3 million
Total Worldwide Gross: $97.6 million

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2006/SHILL.php

The film was released domestically on DVD in the US on August 22, 2006 and took in another $22.1 million in sales. No idea if that includes the Blu-ray or not.

It is in the TOP 10 Box Office of video game film adaptations(1980 - now) in place at No. 9, right behind RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION which grossed $50 million total domestically.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I was happy when I saw the alley camera angles from the first game, I was excited when I watched the alternate school, I was so damn euphoric watching all the references at the hotel... Then they showed all that people at the church and all my excitement fell to the floor... After all the movie was OK; anyway, the credits were amazing...
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Silent Evil wrote:Just throwin' some numbers out for ya...

SILENT HILL had a production budget of $50 million.

It opened at No. 1 the Box Office movie weekend of April 21, 2006. Only new movies it was up against were THE SENTINEL(3rd) and AMERICAN DREAMZ(9th). Other movies in the Top 5 for that weekend were SCARY MOVIE 4(2nd), ICE AGE: THE MELTDOWN(4th) and THE WILD(5th).

Opening Weekend Gross(US): $20.1 million
Total Domestic(US) Gross: $46.3 million
Total Worldwide Gross: $97.6 million

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2006/SHILL.php

The film was released domestically on DVD in the US on August 22, 2006 and took in another $22.1 million in sales. No idea if that includes the Blu-ray or not.

It is in the TOP 10 Box Office of video game film adaptations(1980 - now) in place at No. 9, right behind RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION which grossed $50 million total domestically.
Whoa, it did that well? That's surprising! (There's a Blu-Ray? I wonder if it has any extra features not on the DVD in America.) I hope they release it on a decent weekend.

KageReneko wrote:I was happy when I saw the alley camera angles from the first game, I was excited when I watched the alternate school, I was so damn euphoric watching all the references at the hotel... Then they showed all that people at the church and all my excitement fell to the floor... After all the movie was OK; anyway, the credits were amazing...
This makes me really eager to see the credit sequence for Revelation! I wonder what it'll be like, since the first movie's was great.
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

Yuki wrote:
Silent Evil wrote:Whoa, it did that well? That's surprising! (There's a Blu-Ray? I wonder if it has any extra features not on the DVD in America.)
No miss, it does not. :|
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

In related news, I am confident in my ability to defeat toddlers in one-on-one combat!