Will Silent Hill be rebuilt and developed again?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Will Silent Hill be rebuilt and developed again?

Post by jdnation »

Just as a thought... in the games, Silent Hill still is a town with people and things going on, whereas Gans made Silent Hill into an abandoned town due to a mining accident and a danger to live in due to the air pollution.

But would it be possible for Silent Hill to return to (or begin to return to) the sort of town it once was to again realign the film to be more like the games?

As a hypothetical explanation, what if the still burning fires that once were there were inevitably drowned out once the dark Alessa got her revenge on the cult, thus bringing an end to her 'rage.' Over 10 years would pass until Heather grows up to be 18. So perhaps during that time, a sudden end would be brought to the dangers posed by the underground fires in Silent Hill that authorities would assume naturally died out...

Overtime, after a period of a few years, knowing the area was safe to inhabit again, redevelopment plans are set out to rebuild the town and community that were once there and people and old residents start making a return and the normal side of town begins to slowly grow again. By the time the events of Revelation begin, there might actually be some construction and rebuilding of small areas going on alongside still condemned buildings and a few people are trying to make a living there now. But even while people are there, Heather and others still get caught in the Otherworld and hence can encounter people who they can talk to and don't see the things that they do...
AuraTwilight

Re: Will Silent Hill be rebuilt and developed again?

Post by AuraTwilight »

I guess it's possible. It'll still probably take years before anyone's allowed to, or even willing to live there, though, considering.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I think if they want the movies to get closer to the games, the real idea should just be to reboot the film "series". The only reason I'm looking forward to the new movie is because I am dying to see how the hell he intends to pull off getting the movie series to naturally flow into the plot of SH3. I don't expect to be impressed.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think the movies should remain separate from the games to avoid any sort of crazy theories connecting the two. No thank you.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

It wouldn't connect the games and movies, that would be dumb at this point. But it would make the movies closer to what we like about the games. The freaky thing is that while you're stuck in the Otherworld of Silent Hill, life in general is still going on in a nice town, and that you encounter other people there who don't see what you do, which you can't do if the town is deserted ,especially now that all the cult members have been killed save Dahlia.

Also adding to the possibility, if a rival/similar cult members saw some interest in the area of Silent Hill itself and they had some sway in regional affairs, then they might have an interest in getting Silent Hill back up and running to suit whatever purposes they have in mind.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

jdnation wrote:It wouldn't connect the games and movies, that would be dumb at this point. .
I don't think that the creators would think it would connect them, but I do think we'd end up with crazy theories connecting the two sets of media similarly to how people on here tried to connect Shattered Memories to the main timeline.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Nah.
The RE franchise isn't suffering from keeping the games and movies separated (or mostly separated.)
And except for things like subway systems, "real" Silent Hill hasn't factored much into the games anyhow.

Why do I start so many of my sentences with "And?" My writing sux. :(
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

leftshoe18 wrote:I don't think that the creators would think it would connect them, but I do think we'd end up with crazy theories connecting the two sets of media similarly to how people on here tried to connect Shattered Memories to the main timeline.
I'm guilty of attempting that, though I'd blame that first on the devs of Shattered Memories trying to make statements during its development like 'it's all canon' and stuff... Clearly it isn't, and basing it on a hypothetical bad ending doesn't make it so.

I tihnk it's been obviously clear that the movies are separate and doing their own thing, but still the idea is that the stuff that works in the games should be done in the movies and this way it will be more in line and be a better film with potential for good sequels. The town needs to have people in it for more to visit and reasons for others to return in order to keep the process going, something the abandoned town in Gan's film doesn't invite.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

I don't think they should tell you that it is or isn't abandoned, one of the main problems I had with the movie was a lack of ambiguity, instead we got a five minute scene at the end spoon feeding you the story, I see a big exposition dump very bad story telling.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Wow. Homecoming really did copy the first movie, didn't they? :D
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Magnolia
Just Passing Through

Post by Magnolia »

The biggest problem would be renovating/demolishing the crumbling, structurally unsound buildings. Who would fund that? What would the point be?
Image Image
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

To make use out of perfectly good land instead of just letting several miles of stuff just lay as a giant useless dirt and mortar?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Magnolia
Just Passing Through

Post by Magnolia »

AuraTwilight wrote:To make use out of perfectly good land instead of just letting several miles of stuff just lay as a giant useless dirt and mortar?
Still, it's a not to get rid of. Then again, if individual people came in and restored the buildings bit by bit, with the population slowly regrowing, it's rational to assume it would happen.
Image Image
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

As another idea, what if around the region, construction on a new resort town was underway over the past 18 years, and that town was also called Silent Hill after the memory of the old one. This isn't unusual, there are plenty of towns that share names of others, or that were built by immigrants in memory of places they came from. Perhaps older residents found accomodation there, and of course so did old/new generation cult members who were not caught in the occurences of the previous town.

Then the course of the movie could follow god being reborn again inside Heather who travels to the new Silent Hill town to confront Claudia. Then following the events of the game, the god is partially birthed and takes over Claudia. Heather defeats it, but the demonic power flows out and takes over the new town itself, except unlike what happened in the first town, the effects of it on the new town are more in line to how it is in the games. People continue business as usual, but others can get caught in the foggy and otherworld.

I prefer the reconstruction idea, but this also works. And just like how we have areas such as south or central Silent Hill in the games, we can have both old Silent Hill and new Silent Hill in the films, and the possibilities lie to take advantage of both locations to tell a story.