SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Movie vs Game Monsters Hub i made

Post by maddartist »

I made this the other day on HubPages.com
it's comparing the monsters in the movie to their video game counterparts
Check it out!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Silent-Hill-Mon ... ie-vs-Game

and don't forget to vote on the poll for your favorite monster!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/maddartist/SHsig.gif[/img]
Watch @ http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=13276490(homemade)
Bluebolt77
Just Passing Through

Post by Bluebolt77 »

Very nice read. Never really had the opportunity to look at the monsters side by side like that before and I must say the movie makers did a decent job of getting inspiration from the games and putting it on the big screen.
Let Silent Hill purify you.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

That was a great read!
I never fully understood all the film's monsters representations until I read that!

Granted Colin and the grey children and nurses were obvious but the rest not so much.
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

Very nicely done, kudos maddartist. I could tell some of the more obvious ones like the armless creature and the nurses, but some of the others I didn't realize exactly where they pulled the inspiration from. Very informative. :)
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Great work, but you're off on a few things.
For starters, the Grey Children are much more likely to represent Alessa herself, rather than her classmates. They burn just like she did, and they scream continuously, representing her screaming during the burning ritual. When they try to kill Rose, they hold out their arms, as if wanting to hug her, representing Alessa's desperation to be loved, especially by Rose.
Pyramid Head is based off of Alessa's memory of a painting seen in the hotel depicting men with cone-shaped hats and tan skirts.
The Creepers may also represent the cultists, seeing as they swarm over and try to destroy anything different from themselves.
You referred to Dark Alessa as a 'childlike demon'. I'm not sure if that's just descriptive text or not, but she's not literally a demon. She's just Alessa's dark side manifesting itself. I also don't see how she's based in any way on Memory of Alessa.
Other than that, it's a really good analysis.
maddartist
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by maddartist »

JKristine35 wrote:Great work, but you're off on a few things.
For starters, the Grey Children are much more likely to represent Alessa herself, rather than her classmates. They burn just like she did, and they scream continuously, representing her screaming during the burning ritual. When they try to kill Rose, they hold out their arms, as if wanting to hug her, representing Alessa's desperation to be loved, especially by Rose.
Pyramid Head is based off of Alessa's memory of a painting seen in the hotel depicting men with cone-shaped hats and tan skirts.
The Creepers may also represent the cultists, seeing as they swarm over and try to destroy anything different from themselves.
You referred to Dark Alessa as a 'childlike demon'. I'm not sure if that's just descriptive text or not, but she's not literally a demon. She's just Alessa's dark side manifesting itself. I also don't see how she's based in any way on Memory of Alessa.
Other than that, it's a really good analysis.
yeah, i see what you mean about the grey children, i just assumed they had the same meaning as they did in the game. I'll have to change that.
and with pyramid head...i don't remember seeing that in the film, where does she see that?
And yes the creepers very well could represent the cultists, hence the faces but they also attack and kill the cultists, but that could also be because they attack blindly.
And with the demon alessa i thought she was a demon that came along and helped alessa when she was in the hospital because when rose asked her who she was she answered "I have many names, right now i'm the dark part of alessa" which led me to believe she has been around for a long time and she takes on different forms as she helps people seek revenge. And i know she's not the movie version of the memory of alessa but it seems like that's where they got the look of her from, like a bloody skinned alessa.

Thanks for your insight, the movie is just so ambiguous lol...and i did make most of that hub at like 2 in the morning :P
Watch @ http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=13276490(homemade)
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

and with pyramid head...i don't remember seeing that in the film, where does she see that?
The painting never made it into the final film itself, but it's featured on the official website and in one of the screenshots they released. Here's the picture:
And with the demon alessa i thought she was a demon that came along and helped alessa when she was in the hospital because when rose asked her who she was she answered "I have many names, right now i'm the dark part of alessa" which led me to believe she has been around for a long time and she takes on different forms as she helps people seek revenge.
According to both the director and the actress who plays her, she's the manifestation of the dark side of Alessa's soul. Alessa began to show psychic powers after she was burned, which we see in the wilted flowers and the burned nurse. She then used those powers to split herself and create Dark Alessa. 21 years later she again split herself and created Sharon. According to the director, Dark Alessa symbolically represents the devil by virtue of being the dark side of the human soul and Sharon symbolically represents God by virtue of being the good side. Dark Alessa's quote to Rose simply means that she wears many faces for the cult, but that she's talking to Rose as she really is - the dark side of Alessa.
And i know she's not the movie version of the memory of alessa but it seems like that's where they got the look of her from, like a bloody skinned alessa.
It's more likely that they got her appearance from the symbolic reference to Dark Alessa representing the devil and Sharon representing God. That, and she's identical to Alessa because she literally is Alessa, just like Sharon is Alessa.
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

Ha! I never knew about that picture, interesting.

Also kudos maddartist, it's good to see the monsters side by side from the games and the movie. They didn't do too bad at all with the way it looked, just a shame the movie couldn't have been a bit better writing and story wise. Good read.
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
maddartist
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by maddartist »

I added a little bit more to it too...check it!
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Dark Alessa

The Dark Alessa from the movie is Alessa's burned body, now an adult, bandaged in her hospital bed surrounded by yards and yards if barbed wire which she controls and uses to kill the cult members.
That's not Dark Alessa. Dark Alessa is the little girl who contains the dark side of Alessa's soul. The woman you're referring to in that paragraph is Alessa's adult form, who is credited as Older Scarred Alessa in the cast list.
The Demon Alessa character from the film is a childlike demon that was summoned by Alessa's hate and anger. She seems to be some kind of old revenge demon that takes on the form of a persons dark and angry emotions. She looks like the child version of Alessa but grungier with bloody skin.
This is incorrect. As I pointed out before, both the actress and director have confirmed that Dark Alessa is the manifestation of the dark side of Alessa's soul, and is not a literal demon or devil of any kind. She is not older than Alessa and was not summoned by Alessa. When Alessa's hate grew out of control, she split her soul and created a manifestation of herself containing her dark side. This is Dark Alessa (or, as you call her, Demon Alessa, though her literal name in interviews, the official website, and the presskit is Dark Alessa). Dark Alessa is identical to Alessa for the same reason Sharon is - because she comes from within Alessa and literally is Alessa. She's no more a demon or devil than Sharon is a god.
Ghost
Just Passing Through

Post by Ghost »

Those informations made me like even more the movie.

I think Dark Alessa is really a manifestation of Alessa's soul, unable to control her powers due to the hate she was feeling.
Father, why have you forsaken me?
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

That's exactly what she is, though I don't think it's ever explained if Alessa willingly created Dark Alessa, or if her hatred caused her powers to spontaneously create her without Alessa realizing what happened immediately. The general idea is that Alessa exists as 3 entities: her physical form (the burned woman), her dark side (Dark Alessa), and her good side (Sharon).
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

There's a whole disc that came with the Japanese release dedicated to this. There's split-screen videos comparing all the monsters and scenes from the movie with their counterparts from the games.
Follow me on: deviantART | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
maddartist
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by maddartist »

Silent Evil wrote:There's a whole disc that came with the Japanese release dedicated to this. There's split-screen videos comparing all the monsters and scenes from the movie with their counterparts from the games.
I know, i want it sooo bad!
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

maddartist wrote:
Silent Evil wrote:There's a whole disc that came with the Japanese release dedicated to this. There's split-screen videos comparing all the monsters and scenes from the movie with their counterparts from the games.
I uploaded them all to my YouTube account, along with a few other things from the Japanese set(including a fairly lengthy Akira Yamaoka interview), where you could view them yourself.

THAT IS, until............my account got TERMINATED/suspended(one of those, I'm not entirely sure which really) earlier this year back in March. :x

It was for something else not related to those SH videos, but yeah thanks A LOT YouTube! You suck the big fat hairy one. :P
Follow me on: deviantART | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
maddartist
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Re:

Post by maddartist »

Silent Evil wrote:
maddartist wrote:
I uploaded them all to my YouTube account, along with a few other things from the Japanese set(including a fairly lengthy Akira Yamaoka interview), where you could view them yourself.

THAT IS, until............my account got TERMINATED/suspended(one of those, I'm not entirely sure which really) earlier this year back in March. :x

It was for something else not related to those SH videos, but yeah thanks A LOT YouTube! You suck the big fat hairy one. :P
Booo :(
Youtube has done things like that to me before. maybe there's another video site you can upload them too. i really want to see it!
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Movie vs Game Monsters Hub i made

Post by Joseph »

I love your interpretation for the movie's nurses!
http://twitter.com/quieterworlds
Forget it, Jake. This is Chinatown.