Stories about people who only watched the movie...

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through
Location: Otherworld boiler room, slipping through those frustrating bars

Stories about people who only watched the movie...

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

I thought the movie was good, as a movie, if the games didn't exist. Although, as a Silent Hill movie, it was very misleading. One of my son's friend (we'll call him Barack Obama) was over at my house playing with my son (who we'll call Bubba). I was in the living room watching TV, and they come in, wanting to play some video games (we have a gaming tv, and a tv for watching cable). So they go over, looking at all the games they could play and Barack says "Oh! Silent Hill! Let's play that!", motioning towards Silent Hill 3 (my son is 16, and acts mature for his age and is responsible most of the time, so I let him play mature games, watch mature movies, etc. His friend is 14). I say, "Alright, but the game is very scary, Obama, do your parents allow you to play mature videogames, or watch mature movies?", to which he replys yes. So they pop in the game, load it up and decide to trade off every time they beat a puzzle, or every time they die. Obama, noticing that the main character is a girl, says "Oh, is that Rose from the movie?" I quietly facepalm, while Bubba goes on to explain to him that, no, the Silent Hill games were not based on the movie, and that they have been being created since 1999. He then had a very confused look on his face and eventually they decided to play Motorstorm. Anybody else have something like this happen?
Mechanical tender love
Plug in socket wonder drug
Electric action animal grind
Thudthudthud clocks the time
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

You talk like the guy's stupid because he assumed a movie based on a game is exactly like the source material. It's the exact same assumption any person would make about any material based on another.
heavensnightsh
Historical Society Historian

Post by heavensnightsh »

You would think he would at least notice after awhile that Silent Hill 3 is nothing like the movie Silent Hill. Something more acceptable for him to have said would of been "So what parts were in the movie?" or "Was this the game that inspired the movie" Something like that. But when you can tell there's like, nothing similar, then a little facepalm indeed.
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Considering that the game has a big 3 on the cover that the guy probably saw, it wouldn't be facepalmish or stupid of him at all to assume that the main character was Rose when he first starts playing the game (and why would he ask who she was more than a few minutes into gameplay?) and that the events of the game look different than the movie because it's the third game, not the first one that the film was based off of.
The fact that Rose and Heather look a good deal alike doesn't help either.
heavensnightsh

Post by heavensnightsh »

You have a great point. I now agree with JRamirez on this point lol But the fact that they changed games gets my disapproval. You should ground your son from seeing that kid ever again :P
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Silent Hill rocks! The son should be cut out of the will for changing games! :lol:
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

My friends had known I was a fan for a while, and they were interested to see what the fuss was about. They're a little impatient when it comes to games, so I showed them the movie. One half really got into it, and they all started coming up with their own theories-some of which were quite good. They'd had a month of watching Die Hard and Bad Boys, so they thought the film was "deep". They also loved the music, so I guided them to more of Akira's work.
The other half, on the other hand, contained a friend who considers himself an expert on the series after playing the first five minutes of SH1 when I lent it to him. It also contained a number of people who like everything about a movie to be explained to them so their brain cells can sit firmly in their back pocket. They just sat there and laughed at anything that dared to be creative. It was quite depressing.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

I didn't like the movie at all, personally, but I guess I do have a bit of a story. Upon my second time seeing it in theatres (a group of friends forced me to go), the credits began rolling and a friend's friend walks up and starts going on about how the movie followed the game "really well, actually". I couldn't even help but chuckle. This girl was notorious for acting like she knew everything about everything- especially when it came to anime and Japanese games. She proceeds to try and tell me that she has played Silent Hill "twenty times", which was probably a bit under the number of times that I had played it back then- but if she was actually familiar with the game she would have realized that it wasn't that similar. I mean, yes, the movie is loosely based on the first game, taking into account certain characters and locations that make an appearance, but even the plot differs drastically. I was ready to start asking her trivia questions or something, but then this debate took a wrong turn when she said "no wonder no one likes you" (very uncalled for, and untrue). My best friend that was sitting by me informed her that she was actually the one people didn't like. We left after that.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Be fair, it's not like people didn't compare Rose and Heather and Maria when the movie came out.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I've got a couple of stories from other message boards that fit this thread. A few months ago a fellow poster said the only monster in the movie that came from any of the games was the lying figure. In other words, the nurses, grey children, creepers, and Pyramid Head were movie-only monsters. He emphasized that he'd played every game in the series at least 5 times. Another poster said I 'clearly' had never played the games because if I had, I would know that Dark Alessa states she's the devil in the games.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

@ JRamirez35
Lawl. Well, Pyramid Head, Lying figure and Nurses are definitely similar to their game counterparts (well, I'd say the Lying Figure is the closest, the others have their differences here and there). The grey children I found to be quite a bit different, but still recognized them as what they were. And the creepers? Well, they are just bugs- they always look different.

So where and in what game does "Dark" Alessa state that she is the devil, anyway? She barely even talks. Man, that's lame -_-
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Well, my friends only liked the effects and the monsters, they thought that the story was real lame. But they want to see number 2, but only for the "scares". Really now, the movie isn't THAT scary. . .
I gave up long ago on "introducing" people to the series, so nobody really knows a godddamn thing and make assumptions that are real fucked up.
SilentOne
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentOne »

I have a lot of stories about people who have only watched the movie.
Mainly, all of them going "Wait what" when I explain the whole God burn as opposed to "BUHN MOHH WITCHES" concept.
Yo.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

One of my friends kinda liked the movie, but had never played the original Silent Hill. I tried to get him to play it, and he got about 3/4 of the way through, but then he "got bored" and quit. Gah.
Distort
Just Passing Through

Post by Distort »

I attempted to watch it with about 5 of my friends a few months back. It was my first time watching it so I was kind of excited. One of my friends never stopped talking throughout the entire movie and at the end started complaining about how stupid and pointless it was. Two of my friends and myself (The only one in the room that had played through an SH game completely. The other two know a little bit about the series but never played the games for one reason or another) tried to explain to him the parts he stated were stupid and how if you think about it for a bit its actually kind of interesting. Needless to say he didnt change his mind. Can't say I didn't see it coming see he kind of only sees things at face value and doesnt really bother to analyze anything. I plan on eventually buying the movie (Rented it that time) so I can watch it in peace.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Ryoshockwave wrote: So where and in what game does "Dark" Alessa state that she is the devil, anyway?
The poster had differentiated between Alessa and Dark Alessa in his posts, claiming that Alessa sold her soul to the devil, so he wasn't talking about Alessa. Since he said Dark Alessa was definitely in the game and that she claimed to be the devil, I assume he either played the game a long long time ago and got his memories of it mixed up with the movie, or he was making stuff up.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

JRamirez35 wrote:
Ryoshockwave wrote: So where and in what game does "Dark" Alessa state that she is the devil, anyway?
The poster had differentiated between Alessa and Dark Alessa in his posts, claiming that Alessa sold her soul to the devil, so he wasn't talking about Alessa. Since he said Dark Alessa was definitely in the game and that she claimed to be the devil, I assume he either played the game a long long time ago and got his memories of it mixed up with the movie, or he was making stuff up.
Wow, that's some imagination. There wasn't anything like that in the movie, either, right? (I haven't seen the movie in a while, so I don't really remember)..
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Geez, your son's 16-year-old friend is a big stupid head for not knowing the contents of a videogame in comparison to a film of the same name.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

There's a scene of Alessa giving in to the dark side of her soul that many people misconstrue as her selling her soul to the devil, but it's just a misinterpretation of the character and what's really happening in the scene. Some people also claim that Dark Alessa saying 'I have many names' means she's claiming to be the devil but, again, it's a misinterpretation of the character and what's being shown.
Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through
Location: Otherworld boiler room, slipping through those frustrating bars

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

@Everybody that thought I was facepalming at the kid: I was facepalming at the movie. :lol:
Mechanical tender love
Plug in socket wonder drug
Electric action animal grind
Thudthudthud clocks the time