Now that Jodelle is going to be in Twilight...

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

Sure, okay.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

If Alessa wanted Chris in her life, she'd have either pulled him into the Fog World or returned the real world once she was born. The fact that she did neither tells us what she thinks of the man who forgot to mention his child was missing too when talking to a police officer who found his wife's car.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

I feel like there'd have to be more time to say anything definitive about the way the "new" Sharon acts, besides the fact that she is completely enamored with the life that the "old" Sharon had. I can attest to your statement about the way she seems to act towards the end, but I find that we won't really know how she truly behaves, as she coalesced with Sharon, not "completely took over."

For instance, she didn't completely possess Rose when they merged. She wasn't "evil", though she was much more enlightened during her speech with Christabella. Alessa's presence is less latent in Sharon than in Rose, but I doubt that Sharon is "dominated by the dark half of her soul".

If Chris never cared for Sharon, then I'd have no clue as to why he'd say "I love Sharon every bit as much as I love you", and...then there's the genuine concern Sharon had when she finds that he isn't going on their "trip" to Silent Hill. I'd say he at least cared for her.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

According to the director, Chris doesn't love Sharon as much as he loves Rose. Considering that Alessa forced Rose to face a world full of monsters, jump across a giant hole that drops down into a pit of fire, face a group of religious fanatics, and willingly descend into a world that resembles hell- all to prove that Rose would make a good mom for her rebirth, it's extremely doubtful that she'd let the guy who wanted to put her double in a mental institution and who conveniently forgot to mention Sharon when talking to Officer Gucci into her life.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

But Officer Gucci was also under the impression that Rose nearly kidnapped Sharon and brought her to the abandoned town because she was pissed at her husband, so why should he address Sharon when it was thought that Rose had her captive?

Alessa may not care for Christopher at all, but he is still Sharon's father; as a family, it is evident that they all cared for one another, from their family photos right down to their answering machine message. I find that it is possible for the "old Sharon" to...y'know, maybe want to see her father again; so it makes sense to me.

I get where you're coming from. This "new Sharon" is comfortable with the situation, I just tried to consider the...hm, duality, of the situation.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

How does Officer Gucci know about Rose? It's never actually stated that Chris reported Sharon kidnapped and even then, it's a stretch that Gucci would be absolutely certain that the car they found is the same woman that Cybil might have called in. Whether he knew or not, it still doesn't change the fact that Chris only talks about his wife and fails to mention his missing child.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

He could've just called it in prior. It would explain why Gucci knew Sharon was also missing.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

If Gucci knew about Rose and Sharon, he wouldn't have asked what Chris' last name was.
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

He could ask for his last name just to reaffirm that Chris was who he was. Or maybe his last name just escaped him.

I find that there were a lot of glaring goofs in that scene, so really I wouldn't draw anything concrete from it. It was quite half-assed.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Sharon/Alessa Composite wrote:Chris is a dick, fuck that asshole. Mommy, make me lunch now. :D
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

Isn't it strange how the physical Alessa just disappears? Of course it is.

I also think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that Chris didn't love his daughter, but considering that JRamirez35 is the resident film adaptation guru -
According to the director, Chris doesn't love Sharon as much as he loves Rose.
Where was this mentioned?

Going off of the fact that Chris didn't mention Sharon seems pointless, considering all the details the writers didn't mind articulating.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I also think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that Chris didn't love his daughter, but considering that JRamirez35 is the resident film adaptation guru
I never said Chris doesn't love Sharon, just that he loves Rose more. In the eyes of Alessa, a clingy, obsessive child who won't accept anything but the best- this is simply not enough.
Where was this mentioned?
In a translation from the French website, "But the woman loves her little girl more than anything else while the husband loves his wife more than anything else. It leads to the destructuration of this family and it’s on this feeling of loss, of waste, that the movie lies on."
Going off of the fact that Chris didn't mention Sharon seems pointless, considering all the details the writers didn't mind articulating.
Considering that Gans has stated that Chris loves Rose more than Sharon, the scene was most likely intended to reinforce this fact.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

There we go. Thanks for the quote
Considering that Gans has stated that Chris loves Rose more than Sharon, the scene was most likely intended to reinforce this fact.
I agree.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

That girl doing Heather in a future movie? No thanks. You must be crazy Alessandro.
Wasn't that whole Sharon (bleh) and Alessa thing too annoying at first? Plus, Twilight = shit.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Just because you don't like her doesn't mean others automatically feel the same.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I don't have any problem with THE girl. Just her lack of acting annoyed me. Touché :)
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Jodelle is the youngest person ever to have been nominated for Best Actress at the Genie Awards (Canada's version of the Oscars), was nominated for an Emmy when she was 6, and has won wide critical acclaim for many of her roles, particularly Tideland, which she filmed at the age of 10. Any problems she had in Silent Hill (and I found her to be *wonderful* as Alessa and Dark Alessa) were the result of the dialogue and the director.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

Most likely dialogue. Some of those lines were CORNY. xD
I once was lost, but am now profound.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I don't understand why they changed the line in the church from the original script. Dark Alessa was originally supposed to say 'Mommy! I'm burning!' rather than 'Look at me, I'm burning!' It would have been so much better to see a look of terror and/or sadness come over Dark Alessa's face and then she calls out to Rose with desperation as she catches fire.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I agree completely. I downloaded the script when you posted it, and I'd have to say if the movie was half-way between there, and where it ended up, it would've been ten times better and I love the movie to death already.

I did think Dahlia's dialogue was changed for the better, to be honest. Some of her lines in the script were a little much, but I found movie-Dahlia's lines very poetic, sad, and creepy.

Sharon's/Alessa's lines were all changed for the worst though. Some of her dialogue was amazing, and really made her feel real. She had the whole "Smart child who knows more than she's letting on thing" in the script, but in the movie she just comes across as some kid who happens to be a part of Alessa's soul.
I once was lost, but am now profound.