Sequel or "revision" ?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

lazarus1983
Just Passing Through

Sequel or "revision" ?

Post by lazarus1983 »

With the mediocre reception that the first movie got, and the very divided opinions on this board, I'm curious what would we all rather see for the next movie? A sequel to Christopher Gans's Silent Hill, or a revision, a la Hulk.

I personally would rather see a sequel, as I am a firm fan of the first Silent Hill movie. However revisions are all the rage in Hollywood these days. Hulk, The Punisher (more or less), and the high profile cannibal rape of Star Trek by JJ Abrams.

So what about all of you?
If the doors of perception were cleansed, man would see the world as it is: infinite.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I agree, the first Silent Hill movie was underappreciated gold; I wouldn't mind an indirect sequel of a sorts, hopefully with a whole new cast, same universe.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Personally while I did like the Silent hill movie, I'd love if it was remade but this time being true to the story (I.E. Harry not Rose, no Pyramid Head, and no Janitor)

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Why the hell would you do that? What the point in watching a crappy, shorter version of the same exact story you already played in the games? Say what you want about the movie, but atleast it was an original plot while still having connections.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Phantom Allure

Post by Phantom Allure »

"No Janitor"? :shock:

I loved that guy. :( One of the few things I found really innovative in the creation of the film.
[url=http://www.marvindmartian.deviantart.com]Deviantart account[/url]
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8271]My SH fanfic novel[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6642]Monster design set 1[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6974]Monster design set 2[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7970]Monster design set 3[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7213]Bosses design[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6446&start=30]Commission design[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7463]Manga sample pages[/url]
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Ok Fine, Janitor can be in but no Rose or Pyramid Head
and Aura, I love the story and basis of Silent Hill 1, it never get's old for me and I wouldn't mind it and also, who says it has to be shorter, it could be a Range of Episode like movies.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
DarkKnightJRK
Just Passing Through

Post by DarkKnightJRK »

A revision wouldn't really work for the SH, I think, since each of the revisions mentioned have a different story then their predecesors, which wouldn't be anything more than in indirect sequel.

More than likely, if there's a sequel, it will either be a direct one, or an indirect one with different characters.

(Also, off-topic: Star Trek isn't a revision. From what I've read, it's an alternate universe using time travel, more akin to Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles then The Incredible Hulk.)
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I would like them to make an entirely different one (ala SH2 being completely disconnected from SH1) that doesn't connect to Rose or Alessa at all.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

and Aura, I love the story and basis of Silent Hill 1, it never get's old for me and I wouldn't mind it and also, who says it has to be shorter, it could be a Range of Episode like movies.
Episodes? Yea, THAT'LL get good funding. Besides, I'm not gonna pay to see MULTIPLE movies with an identical plot to a game.
lazarus1983
Just Passing Through

Post by lazarus1983 »

I have to agree with Aura, in that the movie managed to bear a resemblance to SH1 while at the same time incorporate all new ideas. Plus it even set up a SH2-esque sequel in the process, if you prescribe to that theory.
If the doors of perception were cleansed, man would see the world as it is: infinite.
SH3girl32
Gravedigger

Post by SH3girl32 »

I'd like a sequel more so than a revision. I thought it did well, but for those people who have not played the games, it was quite confusing to them I'd think. I remember that the director admitted that certain scenes were rushed or not done quite right. I wish they would just take more time in the next one to get it right. :) The sequel I'm waiting on....and a revision.....maybe not right away.
dagoth_jeff
Just Passing Through

Post by dagoth_jeff »

AuraTwilight wrote:Why the hell would you do that? What the point in watching a crappy, shorter version of the same exact story you already played in the games? Say what you want about the movie, but atleast it was an original plot while still having connections.
Agreed. A remake of what we already saw, minus the more interesting aspects if the film, would undoubtedly be a train wreck. In the tradition of the SH tales, a sequel would have to involve an all-new cast, telling a separate story.
Silent Hill is the only game that has ever scared the living crap out of me.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

I don't see the necessity for a revision, the last one is only 3 years old and I agree with Aura that it was underappreciated gold. I really love what Gans managed to do with it and it's by far the closest relation I've seen a movie based on a game has managed to capture. That being said I don't see any use for a revamp, I doubt that anyone could do it better than he already did.

I'm just curious about how the new cast and director approach the 2nd movie, I'm concerned that they won't be able to pull it off, but I am sure as hell glad that there most likely will be a sequel.
Toresson
Just Passing Through

Post by Toresson »

I'd personally like a sequel, although a revision of sorts wouldn't be all that bad neither. I do enjoy the movie, but it still feels as if it's missing out on a whole lot of terror and dread.
there was a hole here. it's gone now.
nicole84
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by nicole84 »

Most definitely a sequel. I loved the first movie. I think it's much better that they didn't copy paste the first game.
True
Just Passing Through

Post by True »

Toresson wrote:I'd personally like a sequel, although a revision of sorts wouldn't be all that bad neither. I do enjoy the movie, but it still feels as if it's missing out on a whole lot of terror and dread.
Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there. It was also kinda missing the few scare moments from the game, such as the bathroom scares...for me anyway... though I believe the janitor might count as one...
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I'm hoping for a remix of Silent Hill 2 in the way that the first movie was a remix of SH1. That way we sort of know what to expect, but at the same time we sort of don't. I think that's why the first movie clicked so well for me, and probably why Shattered Memories will do the same.

I think it's a cool idea to somehow take something we all know by heart, keep some of the main themes and characters, and just completely twist them into something new and interesting.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

I would love it if the creators eschewed the horror cliche and allowed the film to speak for itself. SH 1-4 were more cinematic than the Silent Hill film. Dialogue is not what makes film as special as it is; were this the case film would never have gotten where it is now. The films could be amazing if they let the mise en scene and the imagery deliver the message as is the case in the game - it just needs a bit of creativity. Creativity, unfortunately, doesn't sell.

I'm more for complete revision than another mindless horror series. I do not think the film was bad, there was just nothing special about it. This is my opinion of course. The games are one of the few series that can be regarded as true works of art, it's a shame that the film does not reflect this.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

I want to see James's story...BUT WITH JAMES :!:
We are still here...
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

I loved the Silent Hill movie.

I think people have a cheek to say things like "OMG. I HATED THE MOVIE." and then say "OMG YAY A REIMAGINING OF SH1 FOR THA WIIIIII."

They're both pretty much reimaginings with ties to the original game. What annoys me most is that people don't seem to realise that they had to change bits and pieces of the movie so that NEW fans could be sucked in.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth