- Pyramid Head -

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

- Pyramid Head -

Post by Chrism~ »

This didn't really bother me untill recently, but it's a question that keep kicking me more and more each minute. This is the question that I will build this topic on.
"Why did they put pyramid head in the movie?".

Now before I go on, I have searched for topic about this and I didn't find any discussions about the role of Pyramid head in the movie. The one topic I found through the silent hill quickling thread had been closed. I'm not sure why yet, so I apologize if i'm mistaken about that.
Lets keep it civilized and mature.

Warning, what I'm about to read is my understanding of the subject, I don't claim everything I write to be perfectl and bulletproof. I apologize in advance for the spelling, this is a big post and I'm a bit too tired to re-read it all right away.

First, we analyze pyramid head from the game *Spolier alert*
Pyramid head/Red pyramid thing/Red pyramid.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Pyramid head appears in Silent Hill 2 as a monster, he's the monster that poses the big threat to James as he is invulnerable to any attacks till the double PH scene where James makes them vulnerable to his attacks.
Pyramid head is probably the most like Silent Hill monster and he serves also as an identification to the franchise, as he is an unique creation which is also full of symbolisms and themes.

Now, in the game he is created by James subconsciously through Silent Hill as a Punnisher but also as a victim. James doesn't realise that he killed Mary, but he still knows in his subconsciense that he did it, and therefore wants to be punnished. Which is why the two Red pyramids kill themselves after James realises and accepts it. Why two pyramid heads appear I have no clue, it could be that after James knows what he did, he takes it harder on himself and therefore magnifying the purpose of the Red pyramid head. But I don't know, so this is just a theory.

We also learn that Maria is created as a reflection of Mary, she looks pretty much like Mary but she dresses and acts diferently. She also seems to know things that Mary and James did together, like that they made a videotape in Lakeview hotel. The point is, James builds up care for Maria. And just when he starts to care enough for her, Pyramid Head slays her more than once. Pyramid head wants to make James remember what he did through the symbolic acts.
Thus failing to make him remember once, he does it more. We also see the scene where Maria is dead in a bed, which reminds of Mary being dead in a bed... I'm not too sure if Pyramid head did this as I don't remember the action being implied.

Another thing to note, is the pyramid on his head. Why is there a pyramid on his head? Well most people come to the conclusion that the pyramid represents the situation and love triangle among Mery, Maria and James. Again comming back to James.

Pyramid head is a male and he carries a heavy byrden in the form of Big Sword which is a symbol reflecting to ANgelas knife. Which could relate back to James and his subconsciense carrying a heavy byrden, as once he uncovers the true, the knife is gone. But as we know, the great knife is also related to Angela, so that's another theory.

So, Pyramid head reminds James and us players of James killing Mary, he does it through the killing the symbolic alternate version of Mary (Maria), the shape of his head, and the journey that James travells through. Thus Pyramid head becomes a perfect symbolic and unique monster, which should only be personal to James.
Now, back to the question, why is pyramid head in the movie?

First we need to ask ourselves, is this the same pyramid head?

If you ask me they seemed very diferent in many ways, dessign and acting. I thought that the movie version gave more the inpression of being a monster.

What's diferent?

We do notice that the pyramid head from the game and the movie are diferent. First, the shape of the pyramid on his head was changed and so where the details. His knife and robe has also changed, you can notice change son the blade, and you can notice that both the color shape and covering area of the robe, appron, whatever covers diferent areas. In the movie, it goes from the waist and down, not showing the shoes, and somehow showing his ass.. but nevermind that.
He does also not wear gloves in the movie.

If we look closely we also notice that the pyramid head in the movie is taller and more loaded with muscles. We don't see him beeing sexually raping in the movie, that scene with Anna is only the raping in form of violence.

What remains the same?
He is violent and serves as a punnisher and victim, perhaps even a bit more violent than in the game. Then there's the weapon of choice, him beeing a monster in the exact same position and the general apperience.

This was all I could figure, it is normal that from game to movie things can't be exactly allike. They have to update and apply changes according to the artistic point of the view and will of the artist. In this case being Christophe Gans, because the movie is a separate thing from the game, it's more like an interpretation. I didn't think that the movie was bad, in fact I loved it and I think that Christophe Gans is a wonderfull artist, and he managed to give us an experience which the general public and fans had never experienced, not even close. The fans having played the game and recognized a lot of it, I still think this was a completely new experience.
That's why I decided to believ that he was not just misusing our belloved Pyramid Head.

Now lets analyze the pyramid head from the movie.

In the movie, PH is summoned by Alessa and also seems to be summonable by her mother. But only follows Alessas will. But what happened to the symbolism behind the monster?
The impression I was given was that the monster could reflect the symbol of Alessa's father as it is a male, we never get to meet her father. Another theory is that it could represent the janitor in the school before Alessa became a demon, as we are hinted that the janitor molested her, so that could be the manifestation of the janitor. A raping male.

To me it just seemed like the movie needed an icon, and the perfect icon was pyramid head, because of the popular choice among the fanbase and the themes. Not only that, but it seemed like they needed him to be a strong icon too, a servant and a big mofo. Which seems to be outdone by Alessa at the end with the wirefest. Before that, he seemed to give the impression of being the punnisher, rather than the horrorific molesting minions. But that allone didn't make much sense, they could have chosen any other popular monster that didn't involve so much symbolic connections. I really

I really did not understand the part where Christophe said that he wanted to put 6 PHs in the end instead of Alessa with the wires. I don't see how this could havecontributed to the film, but I can't really judge it till I see what he was trying to put together.

What I managed to put together
So the conclussion here is that I came to at a certain point was that the Pyramid head could be iconic after all. As we never get to know who was her father, I don't think she ever got to either.
I think that the pyramid on the head of the male, represented a manifestation of her father with an unknown face hence having him to wear the pyramid shaped mask/helmet. And the rest of the figure just serving the purpose of being recognizable from the fanbase and working as a strong blueprint for the identity of Silent Hill.

But as said this is only what I have managed to put together with my mind, I would like to know what you guys think about this subject, either in favor of this conclussion or sharing your own.
I think this is a much better sticky than your previous one.
Last edited by Chrism~ on 09 Mar 2007, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

He's just in there for fan service.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
9saves
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by 9saves »

I don't want to downplay your well-written piece here, but...

I said this on a ton of MySpace threads about this same exact topic...

"Because if he wasn't in the film, people would flip a shit."

Like, AuraTwilight said.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Whereas some fans get upset that he was in the movie without much purpose, there are others who don't care. A lot of them probably aren't even aware of his purpose in the game; they just want to see the big guy with the big knife. So again, it pleased fans.

Well, I personally do not mind Pyramid Head's presence in the movie. I kind of enjoyed seeing him, despite the fact that his original purpose was missing. I accept and am fine with the fact that the movie is quite separate from the games. The movie had a different focus than SH2, but things reminiscent of the game (and obviously of other games in the series) were still included. I don't think that, in general, a 2 hour movie could be made to seem as deep as the SH games we play, at least not satisfyingly so to some of the fans.
Last edited by phantomess on 22 Jan 2009, edited 2 times in total.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

It might be a movie, which I have accepted long time ago that means that it is a completely diferent walkthrough, and I have also accepted that it is an interpretation of the games.

But that doesn't really matter here, movies have themes, references, symbols, immagery and layers. And they did a really good job with the Silent Hill movie, in fact I think that it has a lot more than most other movies, being able to create many of them in diferent contexts.

The most understandable part is that Pyramid Head is a pure iconography and blue print from the Silent Hill universe and I enjoy and get that. He's what they needed to make the movie more appealing to the general public and fans. By scaring us, looking cool/unique/distinguished, be brutal and whatnot. Without a doubt, I do understand that this was the main role for this guy in the movie.

They didn't do a bad job at all in the way he was introduced. I would just like to know a motive, I'm not a over analyzing person. And I do understand that this is fairly simple to criticize.

But this bothers me a bit, because I feel like it is a bad use of this icon. As it takes away some of the princips of the games which they are build on, the part where the monsters are reflected on the persons brought there.

Therefore I like to discuss this, because both Roger Avary and Christophe Gans explained very well that as much as they had to change some things, they had to remain true to the spirit of the material or they would be completely lost. Drowned by fan critics so to speak.

Saying that I do feel like if Christophe Gans did have more plans for PH, because he had and created a great vission. I do believe that they kept true to the spirit of the material, and they did set up un-answered questions for us to solve or find out for ourselves. If he didn't do it with the pyramid head (which feel very unlikely of him as an interpreter, judging his other immagery and care), I know that he pretty easy could have done so. With the theory I came to conlussion with being one of the possibilities.

So I would like to hear someday what Christophe Gans has to say about this subject. Other than that I'm trying to get you interested.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Chrism~ wrote:I would just like to know a motive, I'm not a over analyzing person.
Do you mean Pyramid Head's motive for attacking, or Gans' motive for including him in the movie?
As for PH's motive... well, do you ask what the motive is of every other monster? He's seemingly been turned into an average, although perhaps more scary than average, monster in the movie. No special motive/purpose, as we've established.
As for Gans' mostive- he'd really be the best one to answer that.
Last edited by phantomess on 22 Jan 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

Mainly looking for Gans' motive to why he was included in the film as if in manners of storyline and thematic connections.

I was hoping that someone had overheard an interview with Gans that I haven't, as I find it really odd that people wouldn't ask about Pyramid Head and specially this question. I'm sure that he will answer all our questions when he makes that extended version of Silent Hill after finnishing Onimusha. Since those are 2 of the movie projects I'm most excited about at the moment, you could also add Silent Hill 2.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

He wouldn't have included PH at all if fans didn't beg and whine for it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Justicar333
Just Passing Through

Post by Justicar333 »

My impression of Pyramid Head is that he is a prevalant spirit in Silent Hill. How he manifests is slightly different depending upon who he is called by. In SH 2 he was called by James at least at the times we see him. As a symbol of masculinity he is more brutal in appearance, and tends to sexually abuse quite regularly.

In Silent Hill the Movie he is there at the behest of Alessa. Thus he is more feminine in appearance, and yet more muscluar due to likely being "father figure" that wrecks vengence upon the cult. Honestly I doubt she has a real father, but being in control of SH Pyramid head becomes like a proxy father, doing the work and punishing her enemies. The encounters with Rose and Cybil seem to be almost more accidental meetings.

He doesn't molest because Alyssa is female, and if anything probably a bit affraid of such from the Janitor getting ahold of her. As such her idealized "father figure" would not exibit lust, because it would have made her uncomfortable.

It is possible we may see him again in later games, or maybe not. It would depend on if the person SH has in it's cluthes would attract the spirit. Hopefully he will be in the second movie though, with some more background given.
Phantom Allure

Post by Phantom Allure »

>Thus he is more feminine in appearance, and yet more muscluar due to likely being "father figure" that wrecks vengence upon the cult.

how in the world did he strike you as "more feminine", I wonder? :|

personally, I think PH in the movie is more of an embodiment of the collective evil committed throughout the town's history. He seemed more of an independent entity rather than a servant of Alessa's, actually. The other monsters (with the obvious exceptions of the Janitor and the nurses) struck me as being the same way, creatures that hunt and torment the remaining members of the cult, having been borne from their fear and guilt and existing to torment them who had created them in their minds.

Unless of course Gans comes out and explicitly states that the monsters WERE indeed formerly humans, I'll believe it as so... Gans, however, is still being exceedingly vague about that angle.
[url=http://www.marvindmartian.deviantart.com]Deviantart account[/url]
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8271]My SH fanfic novel[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6642]Monster design set 1[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6974]Monster design set 2[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7970]Monster design set 3[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7213]Bosses design[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6446&start=30]Commission design[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7463]Manga sample pages[/url]
Droo

Post by Droo »

He's in the movie because he's a striking figure that would catch the attention of those unfamiliar with Silent Hill.

It's best not to attempt to mentally negotiate any logical explanation for his presense in the movie. He has nothing to do with Alessa, at all.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

FOA - PH in the movie has no similar significance or meaining as he has in game. Like someone said already, he is present there only because fans yelled and beged for him. I remember it myself as every second post, in the famous SH movie petition, was including something about PH.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I dunno know if this can be fact, but i used it in a fanfic: Maybe pyramid head is supposed to symbolize the father Alessa never had in the movie, and maybe, just maybe, pyramid head IS Alessa's father, and when she made a pact with the demon, he became PH out of punishment for leaving her. I can go more in depth, if you wish
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

NO.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

Please go more in depth, I want to hear more theories. That's what the discussion board is for.
SuckerForDeath
Just Passing Through

Post by SuckerForDeath »

Silent Hill monster and he serves also as an identification to the franchise,
That says it all right there. Plus he looks scary and cool, and thats what people want. Sorry that I didn't go into detail, but I don't think there's much more to go into.
Silent Hill Fan
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Hill Fan »

Just be thankful that Pyramid Head is in movie! In my book, Pyramid Head is the most awesome creature featured in the realm of Silent Hill. The designers did such a wonderful job creating him. You must also keep in mind the fact that the movie is significantly different than the game in many ways. Does this ruin the film? Of course not! The changes and differences can cause a bit of confusion for someone who isn't a well grounded and educated Silent Hill fan, but it's a wonderful movie nonetheless! :wink:
Fargo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Fargo »

Hello Chrism~, first I would like to go over a few of your speculations in your first post of this thread if you don't mind :)

Why are there two Pyramid Heads near the ending of Silent Hill 2 instead of one?... well,
as you already mentioned, the first Pyramid Head represents James's guilt over his wife's murder, but let's not forget that James also kills Eddie out of self defense right before he gets to the hotel, as he says to himself "I killed a human being... a human being...", so that's where the second Pyramid Head is born, another symbolism of guilt and apathy to torment him and fill him up with remorse :wink:
Secondly, from what I gather, the apron that Pyramid Head wears in the movie is made out of human flesh, as creepy as that sounds... kinda reminds me of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, lol.

And thirdly, I don't think that the janitor and Pyramid Head are meant to be the same person, but however, they're both played by the same actor! :D

Alright, I can totally understand why you wonder why Pyramid Head was in the movie and I'm all for thinking outside of the box like you do, and like many before me have stated, Pyramid Head in the movie served the purpose to please those fans who wanted to see him in the big screen, and to give the Silent Hill newcommers a scaring looking son of a jackal to be afraid of.

And now for my own speculation... let's remember that in Silent Hill's history, Pyramid Head DID exist to serve as an executioner, though I think he was meant to work under the orders of The Cult, maybe this is the kind of Pyramid Head that we see in the movie with no connection to James whatsoever, but then again why did he attacked The Cult members?... I dunno, but this is the theory that I have formulated for the last few days.
AnastasisXD
Hope House Careworker

Post by AnastasisXD »

i think that they just putted him into the film so more ppl would watch it, beacuse even ppl who havent played SH know a bit about PH.

but, it could also be there as a punisher, like SH2. and he is wearing the helmet, because he might be an alegory to alessa's father, who she didnt knew
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wrong, Fargo.
According to official materials from Team Silent, the Pyramid Heads represent Mary and Maria. We see the second Pyramid Head before Eddie dies.
Alright, I can totally understand why you wonder why Pyramid Head was in the movie and I'm all for thinking outside of the box like you do, and like many before me have stated, Pyramid Head in the movie served the purpose to please those fans who wanted to see him in the big screen, and to give the Silent Hill newcommers a scaring looking son of a jackal to be afraid of.

And now for my own speculation... let's remember that in Silent Hill's history, Pyramid Head DID exist to serve as an executioner, though I think he was meant to work under the orders of The Cult, maybe this is the kind of Pyramid Head that we see in the movie with no connection to James whatsoever, but then again why did he attacked The Cult members?... I dunno, but this is the theory that I have formulated for the last few days.
According to the director, Pyramid Head, in the movie, represents Alessa's perception of men; their absence in her life as role models and parental figures, the pain they caused her, the fear they generate her, and the suffering they gave her and her mother simply by not being around.
Last edited by AuraTwilight on 21 Jan 2009, edited 1 time in total.