Symbolism of the Grey Children

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

it'd be really obvious if a bunch of children dissapeared/died.
Somehow I don't think Alessa would be all thet bothered :roll:
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, but it would've been mentioned if she did so, was my point.

And frankly, Alessa's not a hypocrite. The children aren't responsible for her burning, so she's not gonna stoop to the cult's level and punish the innocent.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Salem
Just Passing Through

Post by Salem »

I don't think it's a matter of punishing the innocent, but more of punishing all who hurt her. Once she accepted her dark side, I think she wouldn't bother to make a distinction between those who hurt her little and those who hurt her much. I think she would just make them all suffer. And why not? Turn about is fair play.

As for the children dissapearing, they could have been easily included in the many who died from the coal fire. Also given that SH in this version is a small ghost town in west virginia it's entirely possible that people knew and said nothing. There were several things in the movie that weren't specifically pointed out that could have several meanings.

I think it's entirely plausible that the grey ones were the children who tormented and, from the look of it, made her life one of isolation and a living hell up to the point of the burning. If I was her I would want to see them burn aswell.
"Salem, you are wrong. You are wrong because you are seeing it from a different point of view."- Someone on another forum.

But yeah... that pretty much sums me up.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I still don't think they're the actual children, since other monsters made from people still exist in the Foggy Silent Hill (The Janitor) but the children don't.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The Janitor is just a broken corpse in the foggy world and the only monsters we actually see here are the Lying Figures.
By the end of the film, Alessa has killed everyone that that she hated from the real world, so why not the children? :)
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

because Alessa might not have nessessarily have hated the children, really. She wasn't a monster, she was just consumed by revenge.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

She didn't hate Lisa the nurse, and look what happened to her. And it could be argued that Anna, who is a similar age to Alessa, was one of her classmates who managed to escape the original onslaught with the other cultists. And we all know what happened to Anna :lol:
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

((I'm putting this together based on what I've read...I haven't seen the movie yet))
Two things:
They probably symbolize several things. They could be wanting a mother, like the first post guesses at. They don't need to symbolize just one thing.
Based on the fact that Alessa seems to be getting revenge on basically everyone that ever hurt her, I think these monsters were made out of her classmates. IE, what Rose sees, hears, and touches, are the classmates, but they also represent something about Alessa.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't know, they seem a bit too baby-like to be classmates. They could represent them, but if they were human-monster conversions like the Janitor, I think it'd be made a bit more obvious. Besides, why the hell would Alessa give the same punishment to a rapist as to a bunch of kids that picked on her? She's pissed the fuck off, not evil.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

AuraTwilight wrote:I don't know, they seem a bit too baby-like to be classmates. They could represent them, but if they were human-monster conversions like the Janitor, I think it'd be made a bit more obvious. Besides, why the hell would Alessa give the same punishment to a rapist as to a bunch of kids that picked on her? She's pissed the fuck off, not evil.
True...
Upon looking at their design closer, I see your point...
seal_of_metatron
Just Passing Through

Post by seal_of_metatron »

the great knife wrote:The Janitor is just a broken corpse in the foggy world and the only monsters we actually see here are the Lying Figures.
not to get too far off topic, but the officer said in the movie that the town burned down almost 20 years ago... with all the roaches and rot in silent hill, how is there still a body at all?
there's not too many kids, just the wrong people having them
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

great knife, do you not remember him moving?

the grey children were the kids that teased alessa
Life changes daily so go with it!
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

alessas angel wrote: the grey children were the kids that teased alessa
Why?
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

Lets look at the evidence: the're called the grey children, the're on fire, they try to overwhelm Rose and then there's "and it burns, burns,burns". Whether or not they are the actual children or not we'll never know, that's certainly what they represent. Remember that Dark Alessa and erm...Alessa take all that is good left in her to create Sharon, so all that is left is pain, suffering, anger and most importantly for Alessa a severe need for revenge, so everyone that harmed her is going to pay a price, children or not.
By the way, I really hate that screaming noise they make (i thing it is a distorted crying baby, there is a very similar sound effect in Hellraiser II), it gives me the creeps something hellish :)
Who's the man? Me!!
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

Video Gamer wrote:
Why?
Why wouldn't they be? There is nothing else they can be.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

alessas angel wrote:
Video Gamer wrote:
Why?
Why wouldn't they be? There is nothing else they can be.
Well, as AuraTwilight said earlier, they look a little too babyish to be people that hurt Alessa, so maybe they just REPRESENTED those kids, and weren't ACTUALLY those kids. Or, perhaps, their form was also changed to make them feel more weak and useless.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Or perhaps they could also represent Alessa herself, and the pain of being burned nearly to death, and the Grey Children represent, in part, the schism invoked by the creation of Cheryl. Of course there's "something else" they can be.

And maybe Alessa's favorite song was "Burn, baby, burn."
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

AuraTwilight wrote:Or perhaps they could also represent Alessa herself, and the pain of being burned nearly to death, and the Grey Children represent, in part, the schism invoked by the creation of Cheryl. Of course there's "something else" they can be.

And maybe Alessa's favorite song was "Burn, baby, burn."
lol

They could represent all of those, but because there really isn't much evidence to show they really WERE the kids that made fun of her, we can't tell. I have a feeling that if they really WERE the kids, then the directors/script writers would have explored that a little more.
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

^Maybe I was misunderstood. I read the title and it said symbolism soo, I meant the grey children symbolised the chilren that tease Alessa. Sorry....
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, it's okay. It's just that there were some earlier posts that claimed that the Grey Children ACTUALLY WERE Alessa's classmates, and the wording made it look like you were one of those people. Don't worry about it.