Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 14 Nov 2018

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: critical analysis......anyone?

Missing since: 22 Oct 2009
Notes left: 47
i want to start an annalysis thread, critically assessing what makes the new titles feel 'off' from the original series (not just wt's bad)
(terms like 'western horror' may be over generalising, i wish to find more effective descriptions to address what made the new titles 'go off track')

here are some i can think of, i hope i'm not ranting

lacking angst (not horror)
>the feeling of milllions of cockraoches crawling down your throat, the anticipation of emptiness / uncertainty, the dread of heartache and inevitability that consumes and drowns you

iosolation
>you used to feel glad finding someone, or strong emotions enticed, you think about what they said, now some characters serve no purpose or are out of place

holywood cinematics and plot elements
>overused presentation styles, allows the audience to know what's comming next, perhaps a more indie film approach may benefit
>slower dialog pacing were used to create a dreamy, confused, hallucinatory feeling, now these atmospheres are absent
>changed from mystery drama to adventure oriented game, more fast paced scenes?

lack of effective / subtle sybolism
>eg. there used to be an overall theme of decay in creatures and otherworld, useful in constantly reminding us our mortality and the frail nature of the fabric of reality, arousing subconcious insecurities

RESPECT
 Post subject: Re: critical analysis......anyone?

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
I wouldn't call that a "critical assessment." More like generic and regurgitated complaints about the games 2006 - present.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
What does it feel like to have millions of cockroaches crawl down your throat? My throat is narrow, they'd probably have to do it single-file. It doesn't sound very exciting or fun.

RESPECT

I've never felt that at all, so I guess none of the SILENT HILL games are real SILENT HILL games. That's disappointing.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7988
Last seen at: Nowhere
The first games were based on "Western" horror, you know.
Number 4 was based on "Eastern" horror and many call it the "black sheep".

Go figure. :roll:

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 22 Oct 2009
Notes left: 47
just want some clearer description on key components that make an ideal SH title
and what seems to be lacking in certain entries, as good as some newer titles may be, what are the little details that changed the overal feel of the series

what impact does the newer design choices make, wt r the changes, how they work
(instead of what sucks etc.)

the point is i'd like more 'thought out' / technical input on the matter
my opinions may not be good, that's why i'm asking for better ones

for those of you who just come here to antagonise people......please leave some genuinely amusing comments, otherwise you're wasting my time :D

RESPECT

The idea that specific details are what "make" a SILENT HILL game is so tired and played-out that no one wants to play anymore. The members here, especially, tend to defend the current developers and aren't interested in detailing everything that has allegedly gone wrong with the series over the past five or six years.

The only problem with the series is the fans who think they're entitled to get everything they demand from the developers.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
I do not understand the myth that the first four Silent Hill games were this solid, homogeneous experience that saw no significant variation at any point, mostly because I played all four of them and that idea is complete bullshit.

I mean, I don't see how Origins is significantly different an experience than, say, Silent Hill 4. In fact, Origins is a lot more like the first game than Silent Hill 2 or Silent Hill 4 was.

If Team Silent created Origins exactly as it was, nobody would pretend it was fundamentally different in any way.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11380
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
But you guyssss, Team Silent was always the same exact people working on all the games until they disbanded.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3229
First off. There are several threads where the topic you wish to discuss has been discussed. And on a more basic level, critical analysis is just something that happens in this forum overall, there needn't be a specific thread for it.

Secondly. Most of the things you have said in the first post of this thread are silly. And also your own personal impressions and opinions. A lot of people here love the newer titles in the series just as much, or perhaps even more, than the older titles in the series. The things you are saying here is NOT critical analysis at all. It's just you complaining that things aren't exactly the same as some glorified idea you have of the older games. You are comparing your opinion of the newer games to your opinion of the older games. That's not critical analysis. It's just an opinion piece.

AuraTwilight wrote:
But you guyssss, Team Silent was always the same exact people working on all the games until they disbanded.

Of course they were. Because I heard someone say it once. Also Team Silent were the developers of the series that was just published by Konami, they were definitely not just Konami employees tasked to the series that got the fan-created title of Team Silent because they were a team working on Silent Hill. And that definitely doesn't mean that technically every group of Konami staff are also "Team Silent", including the people making the games right now.