Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 21 Jul 2019

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Would you like an Eternal Darkness feature in the games?

Missing since: 22 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2195
Last seen at: Koholint island
What I mean by "Eternal Darkness feature" is the sanity meter in that game. If you, say, saw a creature or something, or killed another human being, your character would take a drop in their sanity level, and the interface would start to go screwy. It could become blurry, you would "see" things that weren't there; apparently there was even a bit that would tell you the game had ended (although it hadn't).

I'm not suggesting an actual on-screen meter, but perhaps you could see it parralell to health in the item screen when you pause or something. For instance, you see a Nurse, your sanity drops by a fractional margin--you see a horde coming toward you, a larger drop happens, your character panics, and the screen starts to blur, your controls switch up on you--anything kooky goes.

Anyway, my question is, would that be awesome in series, or a terrible idea?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jun 2009
Notes left: 125
Hmm it could work out if done right. It would be interesting to see how the character's mental state is being damaged.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jun 2009
Notes left: 295
Last seen at: East Coast of Scotland
I've never played Eternal Darkness, but when I heard about its sanity metre I immediately connected it to Silent Hill. Doing it now would just be a rip off, but I can definitely see it working.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Dec 2009
Notes left: 857
Last seen at: New York
Hell yeah I would love that if done correctly! It was great in Eternal Darkness, and I'm sure it would be crazy in a Silent Hill game (Sanity meter and its effects)

bakedpotatoesreggae.com

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11383
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
That would be incredibly badass.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2897
I've personally never played Eternal Darkness, but a sanity meter does sound badass, on the level of the psych profile.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Sep 2009
Notes left: 771
Last seen at: Portland, OR
I haven't played Eternal Darkness, either, but is this feature anything like the "Panic" mode in Haunting Ground?

It might be sort of cool, but I always like how calm the characters seem to be... even if it is kind of unrealistic :D

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jun 2009
Notes left: 648
I don't think it would be a good idea. Silent Hill arguably acts as a canvas for the subconscious/unconscious. Concepts of reality and sanity serve no purpose in your experience, thus if you could go insane you would notice no difference. Not to mention, it would completely abolish the ambiguity of whether or not what the character sees is real, or if s/he is losing his/her mind. As far as interface, Psychomantis/Eternal Darkness stuff goes - at least, it's kind of cool; at most, it just serves to break immersion.

Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
I think it definitely could work, to reflect how the protagonists react to their surroundings rather than "going insane", really. I feel like the majority of the protagonists were like, "Oh, this strange stuff is happening. What the hell? Okay, I'm used to it. I don't like dead people and monsters. Whee!" rather than "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?!?".

Though, it would need to be integrated well if at all. For instance, making your controls go wonky combined with, say, Shattered Memories gameplay would be insanely ANNOYING.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: Right behind you
I'm firmly of the belief that the games' progressions represent a trip to insanity. SH2, particularly, as you enter the abyss, basically says you've let go of reality, and James doesn't seem to notice in the slightest. He's bat shit crazy by this point, consumed with finding answers that he's starting to puzzle out, and he doesn't notice that the rules of reality have stopped binding him to anything.

Infact, he only regains a semblance of sanity at the end when he dispels his demons: I don't need you anymore. Having to kill Mary (again)/Maria is merely giving him closure to the situation, and allowing him to accept whatever fate the ending you get is going to bestow on him.

The other games have a similar function, though Nowhere in SH1 is a little different. It serves as a major plot exposition, and it is Alessa's attempt to give Harry the information he needs to kill her and stop Dahlia once and for all. Given that Harry's experience is entirely dictated by Alessa and Dahlia, this exception makes sense.

Basically I think insanity is already woven into the fabric of the game itself without adding some mechanic that would only serve to muddle things more. Not that it wouldn't be good, but part of the beauty of gonig insane is that you, and the character never really realize when the character has gone full blown coo-coo for cocoa puffs until it has already happened.

=====================================================

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Jan 2010
Notes left: 1725
Last seen at: Canadiania
I wouldn't like to see a "sanity bar". Having a health bar is already stretching it, but the health bar is necessary.

I do, however, like the idea of things going batshit crazy if exposed to certain things constantly or making certain choices. It would be pretty cheesy if staring at a nurse would suddenly make a person hallucinate. Rather, I think certain obscure choices should have an effect, and it should be done in a very subtle way.

Say the protagonist is delusional like James. If the character makes decisions that reflect the truth, like taking certain paths as opposed to others, or picking up certain items, or even observing his environment a lot, he would begin to see things for what they really are.

On the other hand, if the player does or says anything that promotes succumbing to the delusion, or doesn't examine objects and simply accepts the reality presented to him, then perhaps the hallucinations could start. Enemies that aren't there, distorted environments, whispers, and the aforementioned Eternal Darkness-esque effects. I would like to see the characters begin to move independent of the player's actions, or perhaps commit suicide only to realize that they were daydreaming or something.

Either way, it shouldn't be as clear cut as a sanity meter and it should be subtle and obscure.

Post subject:

I agree with Catch22 entirely.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
And how would you "undo" the sanity damage, call you therapist al la Sims 2?

I like the idea of slowly descending into madness as the game progresses and the player is actually effected when the character is effected, but I'm not sure how it would work out for replayablity. The character would have to go throw basically the same drops in the "sanity meter" every time the game was played, unless you could move past the triggers of insanity, like the Bad ending of Origins only being accomplished by [spoiler] Travis going ape-shit crazy and killing everything that moved.[/spoiler] and by not killing certain enemies but '"escaping" battles or confrontations, the character would keep her/his sanity.

It has potential.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Post subject:

Quote:

Perhaps you can't.

Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
I just want Silicon Knights to get around to making a new Eternal Darkness game.

We do not have enough games that make good use of that racist Rhode Island hack's brilliant cosmology. :P

Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2195
Last seen at: Koholint island
Harrys_Girl wrote:

I think that it was a "walk it off" situation in Eternal Darkness. The longer you went with nothing insane happening, the higher your sanity bar would go, until you were at full sanity, something like that.

AuraTwilight wrote:
Perhaps you can't.

That.. would either be brilliantly realistic, or just make the game too difficult, depending on exactly what having low sanity would cause the game to do.

Quote:
Though, it would need to be integrated well if at all. For instance, making your controls go wonky combined with, say, Shattered Memories gameplay would be insanely ANNOYING.

Oh yes, it would. I was speaking on the other games, where you can still shoot things. I agree, the last thing you'd need during a Raw Shock chase sequence is an interface screw. >.>

Anyway, after reading over the posts, I have to say, it probably is a better idea to make the changes subtle, as opposed to snapping at the sight of a monster, as Catch22 said. Particularly this bit,

Quote:
Enemies that aren't there, distorted environments, whispers, and the aforementioned Eternal Darkness-esque effects.

Don't we already have moments like that from previous titles? SH3 comes to mind more, but still, strange little noises. Imagine playing a game with a friend, hearing something disturbing, glancing over and being like "Did you just hear what I just heard?" --that kind of thing. More of that, the amount of it going on increasing more and more per amount of sanity lost.

Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 7998
Twisting environment (I'm not talking about the Otherworld, mind that), allucinations. . .That could work, if done right. But you "shit yourself" when you see a. . . Nurse, for example? Nah, definitely not.

Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
Catch22 wrote:
I wouldn't like to see a "sanity bar". Having a health bar is already stretching it, but the health bar is necessary.

I do, however, like the idea of things going batshit crazy if exposed to certain things constantly or making certain choices. It would be pretty cheesy if staring at a nurse would suddenly make a person hallucinate. Rather, I think certain obscure choices should have an effect, and it should be done in a very subtle way.

Say the protagonist is delusional like James. If the character makes decisions that reflect the truth, like taking certain paths as opposed to others, or picking up certain items, or even observing his environment a lot, he would begin to see things for what they really are.

On the other hand, if the player does or says anything that promotes succumbing to the delusion, or doesn't examine objects and simply accepts the reality presented to him, then perhaps the hallucinations could start. Enemies that aren't there, distorted environments, whispers, and the aforementioned Eternal Darkness-esque effects. I would like to see the characters begin to move independent of the player's actions, or perhaps commit suicide only to realize that they were daydreaming or something.

Either way, it shouldn't be as clear cut as a sanity meter and it should be subtle and obscure.

This could be wonderful, though it would make debates hard as hell.

My only disagreement is with the monsters; as I said before, I find it completely unrealistic that the protagonists are like "HOLY SHIT MONSTER WHAT THE HELL okay I'm fine now let's kill 'em". I mean, I wouldn't want it to be "THERE'S A NURSE CRAP NOW MY SCREEN IS ALL WONKY", but at the same time I've found it very strange that just about every character (with the exception, maybe, of Harry in Shattered Memories) gets used to the monsters.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: Right behind you
Desensitization. You can only see so much death or weird shit before your mind adapts and it becomes commonplace. It happens rather quickly for some people as well.

=====================================================

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jun 2009
Notes left: 648
Yuki wrote:
My only disagreement is with the monsters; as I said before, I find it completely unrealistic that the protagonists are like "HOLY SHIT MONSTER WHAT THE HELL okay I'm fine now let's kill 'em". I mean, I wouldn't want it to be "THERE'S A NURSE CRAP NOW MY SCREEN IS ALL WONKY", but at the same time I've found it very strange that just about every character (with the exception, maybe, of Harry in Shattered Memories) gets used to the monsters.

Silent Hill has always been, first and foremost, a fantasy series. In my opinion.

The situations have never been, "oh, it's okay now." It has always been that the protagonists have been desperately searching for something precious within the nightmarish landscape, to the point where they disregard their own safety for that of their objective; or all else, in Henry's case.