Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 10 Dec 2018

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Has the Silent Hill series Jumped the shark?

Missing since: 25 Aug 2003
Notes left: 343
Do you think that the Silent Hill series has jumped the shark recently? Personally I have to say that ever since Silent Hill 3 (which in my opinion was the last great Silent Hill game) the series started to go downhill starting with Silent Hill 4 and things got worse when Team Silent had broken up and the series was given to Climax and Double Heliex which they did nothing but butcher the series up especially right after I looked at SH: Shattered Memories which I personally think that the first word of the title name sums up of what happened to the SH series....

Any personal thoughts/opinions here?

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Feb 2006
Notes left: 319
Last seen at: Rock Hill, SC
I agree. Silent Hill 4 was a good game though, even though it was different to the previous games.
Silent Hill Origins was a good game too, but kinda boring. Plus, nothing against the very first Silent Hill game, but having the Alessa story warmed up AGAIN after we already seen it in Silent Hill 3 and the Movie, it really started to get old in Origins.

I haven't played Homecoming yet, but from what I've heard it was not as good as the old ones, and they mixed the games with the movie, which is bullsheet. No creativity.

And now they COMPLETELY ruin Silent Hill 1 with this horrible remake. I don't get how some people don't get why we are upset.
It is NOT about the fact that there is Otherworld is icy. It is NOT about the fact that someone is using an I-Phone with GPS. It is NOT about the fact that there is no fighting.
Actually, the psychological profile and the monster creation is a cool idea.
Honestly, ALL of it would be really cool! --- if it was a NEW GAME.

A remake is a REMAKE. If you change all those things in the remake of Silent Hill 1 then it is NOT Silent Hill 1 anymore. Neither is it a REMAKE.
Things were how they were for a reason.

Now the fact that the developers are obviously so heavily demented that they think what they are doing is right is what makes me think that Silent Hill is now dying.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Aug 2003
Notes left: 343
EileenGalvin wrote:

Now the fact that the developers are obviously so heavily demented that they think what they are doing is right is what makes me think that Silent Hill is now dying.

I think Silent Hill already has been dead for a while, (it died right after Team Silent split up since I personally think that Silent Hill 4 was the series' deathbed/life support machine) only except that Climax, Double Helix, including the film are now butchering up the corpse of Silent Hill beyond recognition.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 31 Jan 2004
Notes left: 3832
Well, I did make this a while back:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I think it pretty much sums up my opinion of the series.

Post subject: Re: Has the Silent Hill series Jumped the shark?

Nightmare Man wrote:
Do you think that the Silent Hill series has jumped the shark recently? Personally I have to say that ever since Silent Hill 3 (which in my opinion was the last great Silent Hill game) the series started to go downhill starting with Silent Hill 4 and things got worse when Team Silent had broken up and the series was given to Climax and Double Heliex which they did nothing but butcher the series up especially right after I looked at SH: Shattered Memories which I personally think that the first word of the title name sums up of what happened to the SH series....

Any personal thoughts/opinions here?

Homecoming was fun.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
I thought SH3 was horrible. SH4 was fun. Origins was fun to play but sucked like a vacuum in other places. Homecoming was fun and I liked the story. So... no. No shark jumping. Jumping the shark implies that they're pulling out ridiculous stunts just to get attention. I don't see that in this series. I just see a mix of great releases with subpar releases.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Feb 2007
Notes left: 1367
I def. agree. 3-5 (including origins) isn't bad, but I think that's when it started to change and not for the best. And I do agree with EileenGalvin that they're ruinging SH1 with this awful remake.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11381
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
People have been saying the series jumped the shark ever since they announced Silent Hill 2. People are just whiners.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Dec 2008
Notes left: 678
Exactly, People just whine if the series doesn't go in the way they want it,
Here's a Clue people, how about you get Computer Engineering, Game design, and Computer Programming degrees and then complain.

Because I don't see you making a video game, I don't see you wasting time on a piece of entertainment and then having to take shit from people who act like your game is a travesty of Art.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance

Post subject:

_Drake_ wrote:
Here's a Clue people, how about you get Computer Engineering, Game design, and Computer Programming degrees and then complain.

I don't need a degree in automotive engineering to tell you that a 1974 Gremlin is a piece of shit.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Dec 2006
Notes left: 708
A car is a little different than a game.

Post subject:

Thank you Captain Obvious. The POINT is that as a consumer, I don't need to be able to MAKE a particular product in order to criticize a similar one.
I think Silent Hill 4: The Room sucks. I don't need to be able to program a fucking game to voice my opinion.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Aug 2003
Notes left: 1099
Last seen at: The most extreme and utter region of the human mind.
There is a big difference between jumping the shark, declining in quality, and changing direction. I think that each of the teams tasked with the next game in the series has tried to change direction, which opens them up to making more mistakes but with the potential for greatness. Here is how I see the history of Silent Hill's production playing out:, as I have observed it for the last ten years:

1) Silent Hill comes out. Many reviewers accuse it of being an RE clone (as well as RE fans), but a strong and devoted community develops around it. Innovations include a vague story with unsettling atmosphere, full-3D environments with movable camera, the use of fog to cover up limited draw distance and add detail to immediate objects, and a then-impressive flashlight effect.

2) Silent Hill 2 comes out, emphasizing improvements in graphics and storyline with only slight improvements in mechanics. Many fans of the original are disappointed that the storyline is unrelated, but it draws in more fans from the next generation of consoles, a bit more critical acclaim than the original, and over time has become regarded as a classic.

3) Sensing the potential for a long-running franchise, Konami pushes to produce the next game with a return to the original game's storyline. The result is Silent Hill 3, a game that takes very few risks in terms of innovation aside from rendering all cutscenes with an in-game engine capable of more rendering detail. The story mostly fills in background information about the cult, and it recycles several environments. The fan reception is not terrible, but it is fairly lukewarm.

4) Team Silent begins developing ideas for a new horror game, and Konami sees the opportunity to make another Silent Hill. Silent Hill 4: The room breaks many previous conventions with different controls for movement and combat, a limited inventory system, hub-based gameplay with a first-person element, no flashlight or radio, and the introduction of indestructible ghosts. The game takes new directions in the presentation of the story, which is nearly as removed from the main cult storyline as the now-beloved SH2, but the difficulty introduced by the new elements and the often repetitive gameplay displeases many fans. The game receives less acclaim, and fans look back more fondly on SH3.

5) The Silent Hill movie is greenlighted, with hopes to capture new fans and reinvigorate the series for old fans. Instead of approaching Uwe Boll, the ruiner of film, Sony Pictures gives the job of directing to Christophe Gans of "Brotherhood of the Wolf." Gans decides to reinterpret the original game with new characters, out of his own artistic vision and to separate the movie from the game's canon, and does an arguably competent job at recreating the feel of the series and its general themes. The film meets with terrible critical reception, however, and fans are divided on the quality of the film. For some, it epitomises the perceived negative direction of the franchise.

6) Silent Hill: Origins is placed in the hands of Climax, who initially conceive it as a movie tie-in game, retelling the story of the first game with conventions set by the film. Perhaps due to the negative reaction towards the film, Climax decides to make an origin story instead, with a new character. Initial development looks to be shoddy and out of line with the series aesthetic, and the studio runs into trouble, so the UK division of Climax takes over the project and nearly rebuilds the game from the ground up. Without time to innovate much more than a breakable weapons system and quicktime events for combat, the studio opts to make the gameplay resemble the first three games, doing their best to salvage a nearly doomed project. The release gains fairly positive reviews from the press but a negative reaction from fans, who have developed a detailed understanding of series canon and either disagree with or refute the story elements introduced in the game.

7) Silent Hill 5 is announced as being developed by a different western company, Double Helix, which immediately earns the suspicion of fans and generates an outcry for the original designers to return, ignoring the fact that the last SH game made by Team Silent was the panned SH4. Taking advantage of the current generation of technology, the team decides to improve the clunky combat of the series and reduce load times by making it resemble a third-person action/shooter game. The combat is improved on many levels, and the story is an interesting departure from past games and from the film, but because of several visual elements borrowed from the film and other elements regarded as too "western" or stereotypical, many fans ostracise it. It receives average reviews, and is cited as a further example of the series' decline.

8) Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is announced as a re-envisioning of the original game, and fans go apeshit because it either removes combat and still-image memos, or because the standard rust-and-blood look has been replaced, or because it will almost certainly break canon and never live up to the pixelated glory of the original.

When an element of the series goes stale, the fans beg for innovation. When innovation is delivered, the fans overlook it and instead focus on the inevitable rough edges, wishing the game was more like the old ones. The only options on the part of the publishers and developers are to ignore the fans (a risky business decision), stop making Silent Hill games (a business decision that will never be made), or obsessively monitor fan discussions, cater to every possible whim and try to distill it into a game that everyone likes, and in all probability fail at it.

“The sinister, the terrible never deceive: the state in which they leave us is always one of enlightenment. And only this condition of vicious insight allows us a full grasp of the world, all things considered, just as a frigid melancholy grants us full possession of ourselves. We may hide from horror only in the heart of horror."
--Thomas Ligotti

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 2368
I believe fans' concerns are always valid, but some of these fans need better communication skills. The point in having a forum is to explain and even convince other people why your concern is valid. If you have to retort to simple phrases like, "this sucks" or "this is stupid," then you're just "whining" and you shouldn't expect that people understand you.

Silent Hill has come a long way, but I don't think that the directions that the series is taking is an issue. I had concerns for Climax for Origins because it was their first time. It was also the first time that a Silent Hill game proper was going to be released on hand-held system. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see what Shattered Memories has in store for us.

Team Silent tried to be innovative with The Room, but if I had to compare, I'm liking Climax's innovation with Shattered Memories much more. Unfortunately, Team Silent was afraid to try out new things due to corporate pressure, but Climax seems like they know exactly what they want to do. Sometimes you need people like this who are willing to take direction and not be afraid of what fans will think.

I wish Climax all the best.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Dec 2008
Notes left: 678
As Do I Burning Man, I wish Climax the best in this,
Also, Impressive post Lost Gunslinger, it provides a true and wise look at how the games were received and their innovations and such.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Jun 2008
Notes left: 3453
Last seen at: New Jersey
VIVIsect wrote:
Thank you Captain Obvious. The POINT is that as a consumer, I don't need to be able to MAKE a particular product in order to criticize a similar one.
I think Silent Hill 4: The Room sucks. I don't need to be able to program a fucking game to voice my opinion.

It depends on what you're criticizing - and how much bitching and whining you're doing. I've seen a lot of shit, lots of which involves whining about technical aspects, and by the tone of the bitcher you can tell that they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Oh, and caps lock and italics? Really? Jesus Christ.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
Wow, again w/ the torches-n-pitchforks feel to another thread surrounding SH:SM. Also, I have never read the words 'Bitching' and 'Whining' so much in my life. Come now kids, we can play nicely. Everyone's opinion is just as valid as everyone else's and using such words as the aforementioned does nothing but incite flaming replies.

And, I have never heard the saying "Jumping (the) shark." before. Learn something new everyday, right? I think it goes the way of any other series, sequals will always do the same thing: try to cash in on the fan picked 'best' or try to out-do all of its predecssors. Either way, it is going to be judge w/ the previous 'favorite' as a guide. My opinion, no sequal is ever better than the original, other than The Blair Witch Project 2. The second one was way better than the first.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Apr 2008
Notes left: 3073
Last seen at: Wisconsin
No, I don't agree.
Silent Hill is doing a very great job.
All the games have been excellent and have great expectations.
Well, in my case they do. :mrgreen:
They're always coming up with something amazingly awesome and new to add.

Post subject:

Bishop Sasarai wrote:
Oh, and caps lock and italics? Really? Jesus Christ.

lol. Yes, because you've never cap locked and italicized, huh?

I was stressing a point to someone who obviously missed it the first time. Fucking sue me.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 2368
Harrys_Girl wrote:
Wow, again w/ the torches-n-pitchforks feel to another thread surrounding SH:SM. Also, I have never read the words 'Bitching' and 'Whining' so much in my life. Come now kids, we can play nicely. Everyone's opinion is just as valid as everyone else's and using such words as the aforementioned does nothing but incite flaming replies.

Well, in this case, those terms are short for "complaining without any reasonable attempt to explain or convince others."

Concerns are valid for sure, and every single one of them counts. Some people just need a better of way communicating their concerns with others. Most members here are old enough to do that.