Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 17 Feb 2020

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Who would you choose for the series' new composer?

Missing since: 26 Sep 2008
Notes left: 3382
Last seen at: United States, Texas
Since Akira Yamaoka left, Daniel Litch stepped in to provide the score for Downpour, with his score getting mixed reception.

If you could choose a composer to do the score for the next big Silent Hill game, who would you choose? After watching David Fincher's take on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I'm convinced that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross would be great for the job

Here's a few tracks from the OST.

Until you are near

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: Who would you choose for the series' new composer?

Missing since: 12 Sep 2012
Notes left: 160
I would be interested to see David Julyan's take on a silent Hill Game. His scores are always very atmospheric, and he is familiar with the horror genre, since he composed the score of the descent (an amazing score) Eden Lake, and Cabin in the woods.

But it's mostly his work on Memento and the Prestige that amazes me, because they are really atmospheric and moody.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0432382/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr7

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 20 Oct 2012
Notes left: 140
I would abhor Trent Reznor personally. I wouldn't mind Daniel Licht coming back since his Downpour score was excellent. Angelo Badalamenti would also be a good choice. He scored the music in many of David Lynch's films as well as Indigo Prophecy. The only positive about that game.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 24 Sep 2013
Notes left: 21
Harry Gregson-Williams.

His work on the Metal Gear Solid series was always very emotional, powerful and atmospheric.

Not to mention he's already worked with Konami on their biggest franchise(MGS) I think he would be a fantastic choice.

Just Passing Through

Harry Gregson-Williams' music is more suited to high octane action games like Metal Gear as opposed to Silent Hill.

Just Passing Through

stonecoldsteveurkel wrote:
Harry Gregson-Williams' music is more suited to high octane action games like Metal Gear as opposed to Silent Hill.

He did creepy music in the MGS games though, not to mention he hasn't been given a chance. The ONLY games he has scored are MGS.

Just Passing Through

I didn't a single track in any of the MGS games he scored to be creepy. Then again, there's not really any scary or creepy moments in the MGS series. The only thing that comes close is the Psycho Mantos fight, but that was more of a fight that made you go WTF?

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 8028
^ Psycho Mantis, The Sorrow... Vamp's first encounter... Screaming Mantis... Should I name more "creepy moments"?

But with that said, I don't think Harry Gregson-Williams would do a good job at it to be honest. His field is in a different place.

As for the topic, I'm all for those nobodies that you see on Youtube (by nobody I mean underground artists, not well known personas) from the whole trip-hop, dark ambient, E.B.M, synthpop movements. Some of them are damn good.

Check for Dysphorium, just to hear an example of trip-hop/dark ambient...

Missing since: 26 Sep 2008
Notes left: 3382
Last seen at: United States, Texas
Have to agree with the general opinion for HGW as composer. His scores are much more epic(for lack of a better word) than is needed for a Silent Hill game, which I think needs a more ambient and subdued score.

Until you are near

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 29 Oct 2009
Notes left: 187
It would never happen, but I would love it if James Newton Howard took on a Silent Hill game or movie. Say what you will about the movies, but his soundtracks for Signs and The Village are still two of my favorite movie soundtracks, and his soundtrack for The Sixth Sense seems in a similar vein as Licht's and Yamaoka's work (if less industrial).

Thomas Newman is another one I'd love to see do a Silent Hill game or movie.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross would be pretty awesome, too.

All that said, I really enjoyed Daniel Licht's music for Downpour and Book of Memories. It didn't quite leave as much of an impression on me as Yamaoka's music, but it definitely grew on me, especially once I finally got to play Downpour (still haven't played Book of Memories).

Just Passing Through

Mephisto wrote:
^ Psycho Mantis, The Sorrow... Vamp's first encounter... Screaming Mantis... Should I name more "creepy moments"?

None of those moments are the least bit creepy. Goofy would be a more applicable term.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
I didn't really like Licht's soundtrack that much, so I'd prefer not to use him again. I also don't like Harry Gregson-Williams's soundtracks, but then again I dislike most movie composers these days. It seems like all movie scores sound the same these days, and It's hard to remember the last movie where I really liked the score. Maybe Donnie Darko. If you look at HGW's contribution for Metal Gear Solid 2, pretty much all the good memorable contributions is from Norihiko Hibino and all of HGW's stuff is bland and forgettable.

I can't help feeling that movie compsers don't take video game soundtracks very seriously and don't do thier best work... that certainly seemed to be the case with Licht and Downpour. If it has to be a movie composer, I guess I'd go with Angelo Badalamenti, but I'd still rather it be a game composer.

I think the best choice would just be to give it to a relative unknown, and someone who is a fan of Silent Hill because they might actually take it seriously. I don't know if you guys have played Lone Survivor, it's an indie horror game somewhat inspired by Silent Hill and Twin Peaks. It actually has an excellent soundtrack, far better than Downpour's, and it's done by a guy named Jasper Byrne. He did a really good job.

This is my favorite piece of music in the game, but there's lots of good ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d95T7noQlNQ&list=PLA5393EE054124407

Last edited by Tillerman on 12 Oct 2013, edited 1 time in total.

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
Ulver. As Syrians pour in, Lebanon grapples with ghosts of a bloody past.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3837
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
You guys heard of XXYYXX? Honestly this track by him definitely sounds like something that could fit for silent hill.

Just Passing Through

Tillerman wrote:
I didn't really like Licht's soundtrack that much, so I'd prefer not to use him again. I also don't like Harry Gregson-Williams's soundtracks, but then again I dislike most movie composers these days. It seems like all movie scores sound the same these days, and It's hard to remember the last movie where I really liked the score. Maybe Donnie Darko. If you look at HGW's contribution for Metal Gear Solid 2, pretty much all the good memorable contributions is from Norihiko Hibino and all of HGW's stuff is bland and forgettable.

I can't help feeling that movie compsers don't take video game soundtracks very seriously and don't do thier best work... that certainly seemed to be the case with Licht and Downpour. If it has to be a movie composer, I guess I'd go with Angelo Badalamenti, but I'd still rather it be a game composer.

I think the best choice would just be to give it to a relative unknown, and someone who is a fan of Silent Hill because they might actually take it seriously. I don't know if you guys have played Lone Survivor, it's an indie horror game somewhat inspired by Silent Hill and Twin Peaks. It actually has an excellent soundtrack, far better than Downpour's, and it's done by a guy named Jasper Byrne. He did a really good job.

This is my favorite piece of music in the game, but there's lots of good ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d95T7noQlNQ&list=PLA5393EE054124407

I like that a lot, definitely sounds much more like Classic SH than Downpours score.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 09 Jun 2010
Notes left: 494
Although it would never happen in a million years- Atrium Carceri. Absolutely.

/thread

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 29 Jun 2008
Notes left: 1053
Last seen at: In your fridge
I really liked Daniel's score for Silent Hill Downpour.

I came in here to post the same thing as the OP coincidentally. I think that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross would be a fantastic choice. Trent's even done video game scoring in the past with the original Quake.

Just Passing Through

The games should have a new sound to them with each title. So I really don't care for this idea of it being "sounding like traditional Silent Hill". In fact, I think the music has focused too much on trying to sound nice and less on trying to disturb the player.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 07 Oct 2006
Notes left: 27
Last seen at: Italy
I happen to collect plenty of music that sounds either Silent Hill-ish or dark/ambient in general, so I could just pretty much name some of those composers: Boards of Canada, Angelo Badalamenti, Object4, some guy on youtube named Alacazam etc., but for some reason I think it takes something more to compose a SH soundtrack: other than being very adept at doing the atmospheric stuff that we all love about SH, you also need to be able to make some good "regular" scores that still fit the theme: Litch was good at this, Yamaoka was perfectly balanced between things (other than Silent Hill's hellish industrial ambient music, he was also capable of composing the other very nice songs of the series, and I think he also did some Dance Dance Revolution stuff? He was just a well-rounded artist and a perfect storm of what SH needed)... so I'm not sure I can think of anyone who would actually fit this role?

Maybe an actual Silent Hill fan devoted to the series that we don't even know.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 16 Jul 2006
Notes left: 531
Angelo Badalamenti of course, duh. He has done VG work at least once.