Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 08 Dec 2019

Post subject: Konami: Upcoming Focus On Existing Franchises

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11979
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/06/k ... es-by-2015

Konami has indicated plans to release 7 major console titles per year in 2014 and 2015, with a focus on existing properties.

Is it safe to say Silent Hill will be one of those properties? Does this mean a new SH isn't far off?

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Konami: Upcoming Focus On Existing Franchises

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1878
Last seen at: Los Angeles
Lordy, who knows at this point?

I can say that I would be more than happy to wait until 2015/16 for a new SH, but I wouldn't be surprised if the property wasn't included in their "plans."
Even if it were, who knows what could happen between now and summer/fall/winter/next year?

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 8023
Major Konami franchises? Let me guess...

Castlevania: Check.
Pro Evolution Soccer: Check.
Metal Gear Solid: Check.
Dance Dance Revolution: Check.

Then there's YuGi-Oh! and Contra but said titles are only "big" in the portables and with the oldschoolers...

Yeah, we're definitely going to have another Silent Hill title.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1627
Mephisto wrote:
Yeah, we're definitely going to have another Silent Hill title.

Woo? I'm kinda divided on that possibility. As much as I've enjoyed Homecoming, Downpour, and Shattered Memories, I'm still a little concerned about what they might do with a new SH game. I mean, just look at what Capcom did to the RE series. I've yet to play BoM (because I haven't got a Vita), but from what I've seen it doesn't interest me in the slightest. Hopefully if they do bring out another SH game they'll do something like SM but with some combat.

Missing since: 09 Aug 2007
Notes left: 3635
Last seen at: Federative Republic of Butts
Climax are still to announce whatever the title is with the creepy dolls, and I wouldn't be totally surprised if that turned out to be a new SH. Whatever it is, I wish they'd announce it already, it looks neat!

Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)

Gravedigger

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 573
Last seen at: Phoenix
Droo wrote:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/06/konami-releases-financial-report-budgeting-for-14-new-games-by-2015

Konami has indicated plans to release 7 major console titles per year in 2014 and 2015, with a focus on existing properties.

Is it safe to say Silent Hill will be one of those properties? Does this mean a new SH isn't far off?

Imdb seems to think so.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
man.. is Climax going to develop the next SH game? if so, im not that excited... either way, I hope the new SH game will make its way to the PC. I don't really want to buy a "next-gen" console as I mainly play on the pc now.

Woodside Apartments Janitor

Missing since: 30 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1123
Last seen at: Overlook Hotel
^same

I never got to play Downpour. Konami ignores PC. I'm not going to buy a PS3 or PS4 for one game.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3357
I'd like to see them continue with the style that Downpour was going for. Evolve and perfect it. Too many long term series try to constantly change up their formula every time to draw attention, but the best games in series like this are always the ones that evolve and perfect the things the ones before did. SH1 evolved into SH2 which gave way to SH3. I'd like to see a SH2 to Downpour's SH1.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
If they really do another Silent Hill game, I really hope that Climax won't have their hands on it. If they have to do another one, I'd like to see them try doing it in-house again. I don't care if there isn't a single member of Team Silent working on it, I'd love to see the Japanese get another crack at a Silent Hill game.

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 3382
Here's hoping two of those are a new Silent Hill and a new Z.O.E. But most likely they are counting MGSV twice since they split the prologue off.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 06 Nov 2011
Notes left: 405
Have Sam Barlow on the team, if there will be a new game. Lord knows we need more of his writing.

On another note, I'm ashamed to admit that I actually would try a hand at a Resident Evil 4 styled Silent Hill. It's tempting. But I wouldn't stick with it as the new skeleton to the series, mind you :P

I second a perfection of Downpour's system, with more psyche profile, please.

teosoleil wrote:
On another note, I'm ashamed to admit that I actually would try a hand at a Resident Evil 4 styled Silent Hill. It's tempting.

Didn't they already do that and call it Homecoming?

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 03 Oct 2012
Notes left: 261
Last seen at: Isle of Man
I hope there is a new game in the near future, though to be honest if it's on a next-gen console I'm not likely to have a chance to play it for some time. I loved Downpour, so a improvement on that style would work for me. I could live without more chase sequences though. As long as it's not like Homecoming things should be alright ;)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
fudgestix wrote:
teosoleil wrote:
On another note, I'm ashamed to admit that I actually would try a hand at a Resident Evil 4 styled Silent Hill. It's tempting.

Not really. There wasn't much shooting involved in Homecoming due to limited ammo, and most of the melee combat situations can be avoided by simply rolling/dodging, or running away.

I would love a first person SH game. I think it'd make the game more immersive and would allow for some interesting otherworld effects, along with better gameplay.

Skele wrote:
fudgestix wrote:
teosoleil wrote:

Not really. There wasn't much shooting involved in Homecoming due to limited ammo, and most of the melee combat situations can be avoided by simply rolling/dodging, or running away.

I would love a first person SH game. I think it'd make the game more immersive and would allow for some interesting otherworld effects, along with better gameplay.

Well obviously it's not the same game! But more action, and really over the top scenes? Sounds like they were trying to go for SH does RE4 to me. I don't want Silent Hill to try and be any other series, because it obviously doesn't work D:

And a first person Silent Hill would be a lost sale from me, but I guess that's the 'in' thing for horror games lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 566
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
Frankly, I wouldn't mind waiting for a few more year until the next title. Simply to air and polish their prospects. I wouldn't like a SH based on a rushed idea. I think that the franchise needs a short break, just for developers to think things through.

I really don't mind who does the next title, as long as they do something new and refreshing. I know it's a hard step after Downpour and SM, judging from how innovative these last titles were. Nevertheless, I would like them to try and amaze us anew.

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 8023
fudgestix wrote:
Skele wrote:
fudgestix wrote:

Well obviously it's not the same game! But more action, and really over the top scenes? Sounds like they were trying to go for SH does RE4 to me. I don't want Silent Hill to try and be any other series, because it obviously doesn't work D:

And a first person Silent Hill would be a lost sale from me, but I guess that's the 'in' thing for horror games lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

There are plenty of first person games, albeit not horror (they only have horror elements), that does the job quite well. For example: Condemned, System Shock, Dark Sector, The Darkness, Thief... Hell, even the Fallouts.

I wouldn't mind a first person SH game as long as it's not a First Person Shooter because that would be like taking a huge dump in the franchise.

I hope Climax works on the next SH story and be the chief in command of the next title. But let Vatra and Double Helix or maybe the team that worked on Book of Memories worry about the gameplay, atmosphere and sound while following Climax's ideas.

Seriously, that would fucking rock and would, pretty much, become the best modern SH. But only if done right.
No multiplayer is a start. Not that I dislike multiplayer but it just doesn't work on Silent Hill. Unless it's a two player only (optional, obviously) and it isn't about heavy co-op, like RE5 and co tend to do, you know... Something about what's missing in most horror games for the consoles nowadays: survival.

We need another SH title like Shattered Memories. The stealth was awesome.

And make the game multiplatform, c'mon. I agree with those who said about not buying another console because of a new game. That's bullshit.

Konami would have to pull a lot of money to perform such masterpiece (the team) but they earn a lot with that PES crap... Fuck off and just do it! 8)

EDIT: What the fuck, I had to erase one of the quotes because the forum doesn't let me post otherwise. Is this a *not so* new policy? Don't remember about it...

Gravedigger

Missing since: 31 Aug 2010
Notes left: 467
Last seen at: Marioland
Mephisto wrote:
We need another SH title like Shattered Memories. The stealth was awesome.

It sucked donkey balls. Not on paper, in its execution.

I managed to finish MGS4 with no kill and no alert in its hardest mode, yet whenever I tried to be stealthy in SHSM it turned out to be a massive waste of time.

The Last Of Us did it right, without disarming the player to make it work. And although I had lots of fun with its hardest mode, the one that deprives you of the radar, I think many players would find a lack of radar in a stealth game frustrating to no end. Especially if the ennemies have completely random patterns.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 20 Oct 2012
Notes left: 140
fudgestix wrote:
teosoleil wrote:

Not even close. Homecoming is much more of a survival horror game than RE4 could ever hope to be. For starters, Homecoming doesn't have enemies feeding you health, ammo, grenades, and cash to use for buying supplies from a merchant. Homecoming requires that thing we call skill. Furthermore, the game doesn't throw endless waves of ammo at you like RE4 and even previous SH games did. And there's an ammo cap so you can't run around with 200 rounds of ammunition blowing away everything in your path. And although the puzzles are a step down from SH1-3, the game at least some require a bit of thought unlike RE4's puzzles.

And since when Shattered Memories have stealth? The stealth in that game was horribly executed and lacking in options. Even MGS has more credibility as a stealth game than SM. If you want to play games that do stealth right, I'll direct you to the Thief, Splinter Cell, and Hitman franchises...well as long as you omit Hitman: Absolution and the last two Splinter Cell games which are all terrible. SM's problem was too much focus on story and presentation to the detriment of gameplay. We don't need more pretentious jogging simulators that don't give the player enough interesting things to do. Stop trying to pander to the arthouse crowd and focus more on making your video game a damn video game for frick's sake. I'm tired of the series being chained to the ground by a subjective, all too barked idea called immersion and the horrible ideas taken to chase that concept.

I love SH2 and all, but I hate how it brought in so many arteeeeste fanboys who want the series to be all about storytelling first and foremost without caring about anything else. All they care about when it comes to gameplay design is that the developers don't do anything to intrude on their 'immersion' with the story.