All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 11 Dec 2019

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
^Isn't that last part pretty much what I said, Aura? That the Flauros might be trapped or destroyed in Nowhere? Are you trying to steal my brilliant ideas, Aura?

I just kinda scroll down, quote, reply, keep scrolling. I don't notice if anyone else had already replied to a post until it's too late.

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
It's all good, Aura. It just proves that great minds think alike, right? :)

Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 886
Last seen at: Bath/London UK
So when did the flauros arrive in Silent Hill?

Old Mockingbird suggests the flauros was in England at the end of the 18th century. And theres no record of any strange events occurring in Silent Hill, until about 30 years after the end of the civil war, when the cult came into existence and people started to disappear.

So could it be possible that the flauros made the journey and was lost in the town around this time?

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 7376
Last seen at: Couldn't tell you even if I tired
The Fluaros was probably brought over by the Pilgrims that started the Penial Colonies that took the land from Native Americans, or so says Translated Memories. that would be my guess.

To AuraTwilight:
I meant SH3 is the latest in the timeline dealing with the Fluaros and the demon-mabob inside. SH4 only deals with a part of the Cult, not the whole, bring-god-to-earth bit.

World Toilet Organization
I'm like a circle, I'M TOO GOOD FOR CORNERS!!!

Post subject:

thank you for posting this, I was always wonder what exactly its purpose was in the whole town itself

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Nov 2003
Notes left: 837
Last seen at: Pennsylvania
Come to think of it, this discussion has a lot of holes in it.

First of all, we have two conflicting stories as to the origin of the Flauros. On the one hand, Judeo-Christian mythology says it originated with Solomon, who captured inside the object the demon Hauras. On the other hand, Silent Hill mentions nothing in the history of the Flauros before Chang Chien, who (as a historical figure) was separated from Solomon by about 800 years and 3000 miles.

Now, it’s possible that through the peace afforded by Trans-Asian empires such as the Persian and that of Alexander the Great, that the Flauros could have made it’s way to China by the 2nd Century BC. But even then, there is only one demon inside the object, so who captured it? Solomon or Chang Chien?

In my opinion, these two stories are mutually exclusive. One is presented in the game, and one is not. But wait, there’s more!

The game tells us that a Lutheran monk came in possession of the object at the end of the 18th century. This is very plausible, since that timeframe represents the height of European missionary expeditions to East Asia. But, if the Flauros were in modern, scholarly hands, why would it then end up in the ruins underneath the chapel in Silent Hill? If it was indeed excavated from “ancient ruins,” these could not have been ancient ruins of Silent Hill discovered in the 20th century. If we are to integrate what the Guidebook says into what the games present about the Flauros, this is not the most convincing way to do so.

In Mockingbird’s summation, we are to believe that Solomon (circa 950 BC) captured “Hauras” inside the Flauros object, which over the next 800 years somehow made its way across the Silk Routes (which didn’t yet exist) to Chang’an (the Han capital), where Chang Chien recaptured a demon inside the object (still Hauras?). Then, the object is lost until the 18th century when it’s in European scholarly hands, after which it’s thrown into Toluca Lake by Solomon, only to be excavated by Dahlia and Co. sometime in the mid-20th century.

Even for Silent Hill, this is farfetched.

In conclusion, there is a huge disparity between what Judeo-Christian mythology says about the Flauros, and what Silent Hill is saying about it. Additionally, that the “ancient ruins” correspond to the lower levels of the chapel in Silent Hill, is simply not plausible. Therefore, in my opinion, references to Solomon, the name “Hauras,” chapel ruins beneath Toluca, et al, are completely immaterial to the Flauros of the SH universe.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
I had kinda figured that one must release the demon and recapture it in order to make the most of its power. That would account for more than one person claiming to trap the demon, and there's not really any other reason I can think of for Alessa to release Hauras using Travis as her proxy.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Jul 2008
Notes left: 29
Last seen at: Knoebels amusement park
Well, there's always that hollow earth theory, that all 0therworlds connect somewhere. I mean, that doesn't turn up in Silent Hill anywhere per se, except as an abstract (Nowhere contains places simular to everywhere else you've been) but we all know Team Silent takes influences from all kinds of things.

I first heard about the hollow earth theory in the film "Marebito" maybe someone else can find other connections if it sounds like fun? :)

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
^You have turned Kozmo from Knoebels evil??? Maybe he is in the Flauros now. All of my childhood memories of laughter and joy at Knoebels have been tainted, and I am sure to have nightmares of the devil Kozmo chasing me. Thanks alot, dude. :)

Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2006
Notes left: 143
I'm going to reiterate what was already said and suggest the artifact was brought over from England due to colonization. It is at some point lost in the said ruins and Dahlia retrieves it. Chang was said to have jokingly claimed he captured a demon in it. I believe Solomon captured it, and then Chang maybe recognized the power inside the artifact once he obtained it and commented on it.

Also, isn't it said (in Silent Hill 2 I think) that strange events occurred with the Native Americans? Maybe the colonists used the artifact in rituals against the Native Americans? Just throwing that out there.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Mar 2006
Notes left: 573
Last seen at: Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia
The Hawk's Eye wrote:
I'm going to reiterate what was already said and suggest the artifact was brought over from England due to colonization. It is at some point lost in the said ruins and Dahlia retrieves it. Chang was said to have jokingly claimed he captured a demon in it. I believe Solomon captured it, and then Chang maybe recognized the power inside the artifact once he obtained it and commented on it.

Also, isn't it said (in Silent Hill 2 I think) that strange events occurred with the Native Americans? Maybe the colonists used the artifact in rituals against the Native Americans? Just throwing that out there.

Shame that the natives didn´t have shotguns or hunting rifles, and were probably unfamiliar with "running-around-the-room-and-shooting" tactics.

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/2 ... ef=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re:

Missing since: 08 Aug 2012
Notes left: 204
AuraTwilight wrote:
That's what I was thinking, but I can't think of how or who would just imagine a demon encapsulated in a brass vessel into reality.

Maybe it really isn't a demon, but some sort of energy inside it. Some sort of energy that responds to human thought. I mean, since people couldn't really understand it, they gave it a personification and made a character. This tends to happen a lot, you know.

Rob Matter wrote:
Come to think of it, this discussion has a lot of holes in it.

We're talking about mythology here, so holes are to be expected.

Quote:
First of all, we have two conflicting stories as to the origin of the Flauros. On the one hand, Judeo-Christian mythology says it originated with Solomon, who captured inside the object the demon Hauras. On the other hand, Silent Hill mentions nothing in the history of the Flauros before Chang Chien, who (as a historical figure) was separated from Solomon by about 800 years and 3000 miles.

800 years is a hell of a long time. Who knows what kind of people had put their hands on the object? Maybe merchants, maybe thieves, who knows?

Quote:
But even then, there is only one demon inside the object, so who captured it? Solomon or Chang Chien?

Maybe, like JuriDawn said, if one wishes to use the power of the object, it must be released, used, and then closed again.

Quote:
Then, the object is lost until the 18th century when it’s in European scholarly hands, after which it’s thrown into Toluca Lake by Solomon, only to be excavated by Dahlia and Co. sometime in the mid-20th century.

Who said Dhalia found it? As can been seen from Downpour, Dhalia's ancestors owned a mining company. What occurs in my imagination is: in the 1810's, the said company found the Flauros inside the Devil's Pit, and it passed from generation to generation, eventually it ended up with Dhalia.